• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Check your Bank to make more savings.

Sitting in front of my lap top today,put being off sick to good use. I cancelled a mobile phone insurance, Went on Martins money tips and found out how to change my Gas and Electric provider, i changed and saved £300 a year, then i went on line and sorted out a new phone.saving even more.

That will make life easier. Maybe free up cash for metals. 

• Founder & Administrator

Nice one @SilverPirate

Really is is a very useful website, and for those that don't know it can be found here http://www.moneysavingexpert.com

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

It is a good website but I actually think that's due to the public forum users rather than Martin Lewis, I know he instigated it and became a multi millionaire off the sale of it but I've always thought the forum users were the ones that highlighted the best ways to save money and his were kind of samey every time, lest not forget the recommendation to put all our savings in Icelandic banks.

Another site I check regularly is http://www.hotukdeals.com/  all the best buys put forward by the public, well worth signing up to for the daily e-mail update.

*His website bans people for using the word silver in postings, i used to use their forum and i wrote posts on the forum but they all got deleted because the word "silver" was in them, they have some draconian policy on their website that basically puts it in the same league as racism ,swearing or site abuse. And it was Martin Lewis that set that policy, but people can talk freely on bitcoin, gold and stocks?

He's a weirdo who is either mentally challenged or working for the Illuminati. 

*i assume it still bans for this, but i left the site alone 2 yrs ago*

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3085576&highlight=silver+threads

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3086530&highlight=silver+threads

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3202952&highlight=silver+threads

There was some spamming but they handled it poorly and continued to remove posts/lock threads that merely discussed silver to the point that if you mentioned the word you had to edit it like this: silver ----> s1lver or s**ver but even then posts got removed, but how did the spammers get in? and why did they just not ban the spammers, he claimed he didn't know about it but in other instances he would say his team had to pass things to him first (like they couldn't just do what they wanted they had to check), it was all very strange, put me off the site and made me wonder about that guy.

Wow it  is amazing how one thread can turn into a different subject.All be it very interesting.

What i am trying to get at with the original post head line is,a bit of personal banking diligence can save you some regular money.We try to invest to make money when being frugal can sometimes make you more.Nothing i have done this year apart from house renovations & extension will give me a return like sorting out these dead wood/chaff items in my bank account.

In a nut shell make your bank account lean and mean and make your money work elsewhere.and i am still an advocate of selling the junk from your property, made another £60 last night selling something the builder took out destined for the skip.I even sold the wood from my conservatory for fire wood.

Which gives me a nice dilemma today of do i put the £60 in to funding today's Property Partner new geared release or more Eagles for my tube i am filling whilst silver is so low.Or keep it to pay the builder.

1 hour ago, SilverPirate said:

Wow it  is amazing how one thread can turn into a different subject.All be it very interesting.

Albeit , not "all be it"

On the topic though i think changing providers for stuff once you do it you have to keep doing it because they move the goalposts. 

Instead of changing providers why not ring your current provider up and ask them for a better rate or else you'll go somewhere else? 

Same with anything else you have with direct debits going out (insurance, card payments, loans etc) go through it all see what the best rates and providers offer and then ring your current ones up and see if you can threaten them into giving you better rates.

Unless the company (no matter what the service/product) has tied itself up in red tape it is going to do whatever it takes to hold onto its customers.

29 minutes ago, goldbones said:

Albeit , not "all be it"

Thanks for the "electrocution" lesson.Spelling and grammar in general is not my strong point i went fishing instead of school.If the laptop never had spell check i would be typing in my own language.;)

I check all my insurance's each year to beat them, having gas and electric to check to is no hardship. I asked SKY once to reduce my bill as i was made redundant and was struggling, they gave me three months half price,which helped.

If you don't ask you don't get or we would all be virgin's.

56 minutes ago, SilverPirate said:

I check all my insurance's each year to beat them, having gas and electric to check to is no hardship. I asked SKY once to reduce my bill as i was made redundant and was struggling, they gave me three months half price,which helped.

If you don't ask you don't get or we would all be virgin's.

Next time sky should be able to beat that. Last year I cancled they rang me the day before it ended and offered half price for 6 months, I didn't take them up on the offer then 2 months later they rang and got free for 6 months then half price for 6 months. They got me back then

3 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

Then 2 months later they rang and got free for 6 months then half price for 6 months. They got me back then

Now that's what i am talking about, the money you saved on that is fantastic,what investment module would you get that kind of return on.

Come on guys and girls have a look this weekend and tell me you have saved some money, and if you buy something nice with it let us know in this thread. 

Been doing this stuff for years.

You can knock ML for making a bundle from his website, but IMO he deserves every penny for what he's done.

I remember when he started, nobody was clued up on "moneysaving", the public were getting ripped off left right and centre by the banks, utilities, insurance etc.

Now these companies have to work harder for their profits and to some degree it should help stop these scandals such as payment protection etc.

Although at the end of the day, they will make their profits and someone will have to pay for them.

Laziness and inertia is inherent in all of us. If everyone sat down and worked out how much they had wasted over the years by not doing this stuff, they would be appalled. A bit like a smoker working out how much they had spent (? wasted;)) on fags over the years.

BTW Although it sometimes drives me mad to read posts in very poor english with "interesting" spelling; I don't think it is polite to point them out.

I've had a good education but English language and spelling certainly isn't my strong point:lol:

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Wife makes a lot of calls abroad, so we use 1899.com

You won't find cheaper calls from a landline unless you have some weird internet/tv bundle that includes everything, but I would imagine this beats them for foreign calls.

Been there about 12 years, no need to cancel your current provider, just register and put 1899 before every number, very simple. Billed separately, comes to about £5 a quarter.

http://www.1899.com/info.php

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

6 minutes ago, Danny-boy said:

My wife phones abroad all the time but she uses Skype and Viber

Fair point Dan :lol:, mother in law is 80 though, so it isn't going to happen

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

34 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

BTW Although it sometimes drives me mad to read posts in very poor english with "interesting" spelling; I don't think it is polite to point them out.

Impolite? that's a non sequitur since the politeness aspect has to do with what you believe someones intention is rather than the error correction itself.

You don't get mad at a word processor for being constantly rude and point out your errors. Well i can say that like a computer i just pointed it out...and that's it.

27 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Does anyone watch The Big Bang Theory?

Bazinga!

On topic - Check your credit cards as well, I know some of you use cash back cards, but for someone like me (lower spender) the Halifax card is a pro, as it gives you £5 back on a £300+ a month spend, which is decent cash back

~1.6% back a month is nice

So I use my Halifax up to 300 then the Sainsbury's after (for nectar points)

8 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Does anyone watch The Big Bang Theory?

Very funny :rolleyes:

It's true that sometimes pointing out a truth is rude but only when it's clearly not constructive or informative.

For instance pointing to someone who has no eyeballs and saying "i suppose you have trouble watching TV" .

When a person is aware and you know they are aware and nothing can be easily done to fix the situation (not by your mentioning) then it can only be seen as rude/mocking.

I cancelled my expensive phone contract and now pay £10 a month for more texts and minutes I could ever use (plus sold the phone at CeX and bought some coins). Ditched my paid bank account and now Halifax pay me £5 a month. Stopped smoking. Make sandwiches for work. These small changes add up to a lot

The next thing I change will be my car - some painful decisions to make but lots of savings can be made here

I also have collected over 70,000 air miles in 2 years

• 1 month later...

Mrs Pipers likes a bargain and has come up with a good one.

She now shops at Iceland, its cheap but thats not the what she come up with.  When She goes shopping she deposits the money onto the bonus card this gives her a 4% instant interest she then does her shopping.  Please note the card expires in 48 months! 

Archived