• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

£ to $

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Pipers said:

the following is my opinion and only an opinion and not necessary fact.  

Mark Carney is an Idiot! or he is a sly swindler who has conned the vast majority of the country.  

After brexit the markets set the price of sterling, the BOE led by Carney saw this the exit of the EU as a Green light to devalue the £ even more.  Promoting himself as the Saviour of the UK economy he made 3 statements within a week as to steady the markets (more likely to feed his ego).  Before the Brexit vote he had made statements where he had firmly wagered himself in the in camp (stay in the EU).      

Having lost his bet (or did he), a lot of investors did lose a lot of money, something had to be done for the markets to keep them happy a rally of the FTSE would be a good idea lets try and get to 7000, f-uck the pension funds and the pensioners now and to be. The bond holders well they can go and f-ck off too. 

By halving interest rates the BOE/Carney have also made it not worth holding money in the bank why lend the bank your money? Certainly it is not worth leaving it in the bank for longer than 3 months but at the same time I would not recommend taking out loans on over prices assets or assets that depreciate. 

Carney has stated interest rates were reduced to help the UK economy, IMO all he is interested in is the City of London and the Housing market, If he was interested in exports he would of directed help to that sector and keep the £ at the same ratio to the $ as commodities have risen sharply. 

BOE/Carney the General Public,  Carney does not give a f-uck about the normal worker, family and the everyday item price at the shop eg bread eggs milk meat vegetables, rent/mortgage(rent really) , fuel, please note I do not use the inflation figures as they are bullshit and do not reflect normal life for the vast majority of families in the UK.

When will people realise that in the UK we are now a lot worse off just by devaluing of the £.  

Mark Carney should resign his position as he has caused the £ to weaken more than it needed he then came out to with great fan fare with a bond buy back scheme of which the BOE had to over pay for and were 50 million short another failure.  

Please Mr Carney  Resign now.         

Mr Carney will be following his order from those above him in ther world power structure.

He is the puppet YES man than to do the bidding of other forces in the shadows  

He is from the fraternity of ex-goldman sachs. Who all have been in similar positions of power in their respective country, bank, government, investment firm

Goldman Sachs

This list of former employees of Goldman Sachs catalogs notable alumni of the New York City-based investment bank in different fields.

Bradley Abelow – Former Chief of Staff and Treasurer of New Jersey under Jon Corzine, and President of MF Global, Inc.
Guy Adami – CNBC's Fast Money
Olusegun Olutoyin Aganga – Former Nigerian Finance Minister, current Nigerian Minister for Trade and Investments
Claudio Aguirre – Led most of the privatization of Spanish government assets in the 1990s, including Telefónica, Repsol and Endesa
Sergey Aleynikov – Goldman Sachs computer programmer convicted of stealing Goldman's code
Ziad Bahaa-Eldin – Deputy Prime Minister of Egypt (2013–)
Chetan Bhagat – Author
Fischer Black – Co–author of the Black–Scholes equation and the Black-Derman-Toy model
Joshua Bolten – Former White House Chief of Staff
António Borges –Portuguese economist and banker
Diethart Breipohl – Head of Group Finance at Allianz
Willem Buiter – Chief Economist of Citigroup (2010–)
Erin Burnett – CNN host
Mark Carney – Governor of the Bank of England (2013–) and former Governor of the Bank of Canada (2008–2013)
Efthymios Christodoulou – Governor of the Bank of Greece (1991–1993)
Petros Christodoulou – General Manager of the Public Debt Management Agency of Greece (2010–2012) and Deputy Chief Executive Officer of the National Bank of Greece (2012–)
Michael Cohrs – Member of Court and the Financial Policy Committee at the Bank of England
Jon Corzine – Former CEO of MF Global, Inc., former Democratic Governor (2006–2010) and U.S. Senator (2001–2006), New Jersey
Jim Cramer – Founder of TheStreet.com, best selling author, and host of Mad Money on CNBC
Charles de Croisset – Generel Treasurer of Société des Amis du Louvre
Guillermo de la Dehesa – Secretary of State of Economy and Finance of Spain (1986–1988)
Keki Dadiseth
Emanuel Derman – Co-developer of the Black-Derman-Toy model
Vladimír Dlouhý – Minister of Industry and Trade of the Czech Republic (1992–1997)
Mario Draghi – President of the European Central Bank (2011-)
William C. Dudley – President of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York
Rahm Emanuel – Mayor of Chicago (2011–)
Kazuo Inamori – Chairman of Japan Airlines (2010–)
Óscar Fanjul – Founding Chairman and CEO of Repsol
Michael D. Fascitelli – President & Trustee of Vornado Realty Trust
Henry H. Fowler – Former United States Secretary of the Treasury (1965–1969)
Gary Gensler – Chairman of the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (2009– )
Judd Gregg – Governor of New Hampshire (1989–1993) and United States Senator from New Hampshire (1993–2011)
Chris Grigg – CEO of British Land (2009– )
Charlie Haas – Wrestler, who is working for World Wrestling Entertainment
Victor Halbertstadt – Professor of Public Sector Finance at the University of Leiden
Guy Hands – CEO of Terra Firma Capital Partners
Jim Himes – member of the House of Representatives (2009–present), representing Connecticut
Reuben Jeffery III – Under Secretary of State for Economic, Business, and Agricultural Affairs (2007– )
Neel Kashkari – Former Interim Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Financial Stability (2008–2009)
Edward Lampert – Hedge Fund Manager of ESL Investments. Brought K-Mart out of Bankruptcy in 2003
Gianni Letta – Secretary to the Council of Ministers of Italy under the governments of Silvio Berlusconi
Arthur Levitt – Chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission (1993–2001)[5]
Klaus Luft – German businessman and Honorary Consul of Estonia to Bavaria
Ian Macfarlane – Governor of the Reserve Bank of Australia (1996–2006)
Tito Mboweni – Governor of the Reserve Bank of South Africa (1999–2009)

Scott Mead – Photographer and an Investment Banker
Karel Van Miert – European Commissioner for Transport and Consumer Protection (1989–1993) and European Commissioner for Competition (1993–1999)
Carlos Moedas – European Commissioner for Research, Science and Innovation
R. Scott Morris – Former CEO of Boston Options Exchange
Dambisa Moyo – Zambian economist and author of Dead Aid: Why Aid is Not Working and How There is a Better Way For Africa
Ashwin Navin – President and co-founder of BitTorrent, Inc.
Prince Friso of Orange-Nassau – Younger brother of Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands
Lucas Papademos Greek Economist
Mark Patterson – Chief of Staff to the Secretary of the Treasury of the United States (2009–)
Henry Paulson – Former United States Secretary of the Treasury (2006–2009)
Romano Prodi – Prime Minister of Italy (1996–1998, 2006–2008) and President of the European Commission (1999–2004)[6]
Robert Rubin – Former Secretary of the Treasury of the United States, ex–Chairman of Citigroup
Robert Steel – Former Chairman and President, Wachovia
Gene Sperling – Director of the National Economic Council (2011–)
Lawrence Summers – Secretary of the Treasury of the United States (1999–2001)
Peter Sutherland UN representative for refugees; former EU commissioner; former attorney general of Ireland; Chairman Emeritus of GS International.
John Thain – Former Chairman and CEO, Merrill Lynch, and former chairman of the NYSE
Massimo Tononi – Treasury Undersecretary of the Ministry Of Economy and Finance of Italy (2006–2008)
Malcolm Turnbull – Prime Minister of Australia (2015- )
George Herbert Walker IV – Managing director at Neuberger Berman and member of the Bush family
Robert Zoellick – United States Trade Representative (2001–2005), Deputy Secretary of State (2005–2006), World Bank President (2007–2012)
Erik Åsbrink – Minister for Finance of Sweden (1996–1999)

1 hour ago, Pipers said:

the following is my opinion and only an opinion and not necessary fact.  

Mark Carney is an Idiot! or he is a sly swindler who has conned the vast majority of the country.  

After brexit the markets set the price of sterling, the BOE led by Carney saw this the exit of the EU as a Green light to devalue the £ even more.  Promoting himself as the Saviour of the UK economy he made 3 statements within a week as to steady the markets (more likely to feed his ego).  Before the Brexit vote he had made statements where he had firmly wagered himself in the in camp (stay in the EU).      

Having lost his bet (or did he), a lot of investors did lose a lot of money, something had to be done for the markets to keep them happy a rally of the FTSE would be a good idea lets try and get to 7000, f-uck the pension funds and the pensioners now and to be. The bond holders well they can go and f-ck off too. 

By halving interest rates the BOE/Carney have also made it not worth holding money in the bank why lend the bank your money? Certainly it is not worth leaving it in the bank for longer than 3 months but at the same time I would not recommend taking out loans on over prices assets or assets that depreciate. 

Carney has stated interest rates were reduced to help the UK economy, IMO all he is interested in is the City of London and the Housing market, If he was interested in exports he would of directed help to that sector and keep the £ at the same ratio to the $ as commodities have risen sharply. 

BOE/Carney the General Public,  Carney does not give a f-uck about the normal worker, family and the everyday item price at the shop eg bread eggs milk meat vegetables, rent/mortgage(rent really) , fuel, please note I do not use the inflation figures as they are bullshit and do not reflect normal life for the vast majority of families in the UK.

When will people realise that in the UK we are now a lot worse off just by devaluing of the £.  

Mark Carney should resign his position as he has caused the £ to weaken more than it needed he then came out to with great fan fare with a bond buy back scheme of which the BOE had to over pay for and were 50 million short another failure.  

Please Mr Carney  Resign now.         

Osbourne appointed Carney

Carney is also ex Goldman Sachs

Speaks for itself

I can see I'm slow writing again:(

I think Mr Carney knew exactly what he was doing after Brexit, compounding the shock to the £ for his own benefit - he knows that a strong economy means rising asset prices (:lol:) and used the opportunity presented by the market to make his move. He wins for a bit longer. 

When it happens, I am not sure people will figure out that his actions are behind the more expensive food at Tesco. They will probably just blame Brexit, the ongoing narrative on the BBC/MSM is that everything negative is Brexits fault and everything positive is despite Brexit. If I was in power and had a vested interest in keeping as much of the status quo as possible, I would wait until we see noticeable price inflation in consumer goods and then active article 50 for maximum scapegoat effect. Mark my words. Mark Carney them in fact. :P

Going from his actions since his appointment, I would say that Mr Carney was put in his position to keep the UK asset bubble going, that is exactly what he has done and is what his still trying to do now. At all costs. It appears to be working so far. They don't call him Mark Carnage for nothin'. 

All this is just opinion too and not based on anything substantial, just apathy based observation. 

just one thing to note, as i can see that a lot of people are making a connection that a lot of people high in governments and banks are ex Goldman Sachs employees.

Top financial and economic employees come from a very small pool of people. This is the reason that headhunting is a normal part of life in the finance industry, everyone is desperate to get the best people. 

However, unless you actually believe that all these people are still in the pay of Goldman Sachs, or are members of a secret society where they pledge allegience on the Golden Goldman altar , all I can see is that working in HR for Goldman Sachs must be a logistical nightmare, as no one stays there for long, as many seem to move into more powerful positions in other organisations.

There is a list above of 70 names trawled from recent history. However I'd like to see the list of thousands upon thousands of names of people working high up in government and in banks whom have worked for competitors of GS.

as usual with Conspiracy theories, people see what they want to see, and never look at the bigger picture.

oh and yes, I do agree with many here that Carney is a twat, who should be shipped off back to the land of hockey, moose and maple syrup as soon as possible.

6 hours ago, KDave said:

When it happens, I am not sure people will figure out that his actions are behind the more expensive food at Tesco.

My food bill has actually gone down since brexit, but then I shop at Lidl, Aldi, and Iceland. Tesco is a crap company, run by people who know feck all about retail, (I once worked for a company who had two ex tesco people as directors, who hadn't a clue what they were doing). Hence the reason I believe within 5 years Tesco will be bought out by someone else. 

1 hour ago, HighlandTiger said:

oh and yes, I do agree with many here that Carney is a twat, who should be shipped off back to the land of hockey, moose and maple syrup as soon as possible.

you forgot bears, who do in fact **** in the woods, I've seen the evidence!

Moose are awesome close up though:)

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

• 1 month later...

The £ is down again to 1.24usd as I am writing.  Hammond's speech must of gone down like a lead balloon in wall Street. IMO  QE will have to stop now unless Carney wants the sack!  

8 hours ago, Pipers said:

The £ is down again to 1.24usd as I am writing.  Hammond's speech must of gone down like a lead balloon in wall Street. IMO  QE will have to stop now unless Carney wants the sack!  

There was some strange "flash crash" as Japanese markets opened. Probably due to some erroneous algorthm sell order at a time of low liquidity. It was around 1.19 at one stage.

2 hours ago, garthy said:

£1 = $1.24 a 31 year low and Mark Carney stays silence and continues his money creation program.

The media also stay silent, it's a joke, and our public are too dumb to understand....someone show me the door!

What can he say or do? Remember what happened last time they tried to support the currency!

It's just going to be a bit tough and volatile until the brexit situation is sorted.

It's up to the exporters to make hay and the people to take less foreign holidays for a couple of years.

The Gov should not support Sterling but at the same time Carney has been devaluing Sterling since he has been at the BOE, the markets are use to a free lunch, May/Hammond seem to want to run the country in a better way than the last few idiots we have had.  May/Hammond have stated they will divert spending into fiscal (real world) from monetary (QE) the markets will have to get use to no more free lunches IMO.  IMO this is the right decision for the long term, we will have rocky ride for a while then we will get proper growth.    

On 10/7/2016 at 09:05, sovereignsteve said:

What can he say or do? Remember what happened last time they tried to support the currency!

It's just going to be a bit tough and volatile until the brexit situation is sorted.

It's up to the exporters to make hay and the people to take less foreign holidays for a couple of years.

When Brexit happened the pound fell more than 15%, so what was Carney and his pals response? Start a £70 billion bond buying program and drop interest rates another 1/4% which obviously weakened the pound still further.

Then Carney comes out and tells us to expect another rate cut in the near future, they used Brexit as an excuse to destroy the pound, they got away with it because average Joe by design doesn't understand basic economics.

So after the smash down this week Carney should have come out and said they were to suspend the bond buying program and may look at raising rates if this trend continues to stabilise the pound, but nothing was said or done.

Fact is the weaker pound together with ever descreasing interest rates makes the working man poorer, another wealth transfer from us to the government in the way of increased vat due to inflation that is coming because of the weaker pound, do they care about us? Of course not, all they care about is servicing the debt that has been created because of insane spending policies, and yet We're the ones that have to pay the price again.

If their game is to kill the pound so service the debt then everyone should get on the opposite side of the trade, insure ourselves against then and have a percentage of our savings in precious metals.    

Archived