• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1st sovereign possible problem

Bigchilli

Hi folks

Just joined the forum

Top stuff

I just bought a 2015 sov from Atkinson's,my 1st sovereign insidently actually my 1st gold coin

It all looks good and weighed 8.00g on my scales but on closer inspection there is a section of the rim that is raised slightly.I will try and take a pic but if you look closely you can see the line on the serations almost where it should be but it comes out 0.5mm approx

Is this normal?colour seems quite coppery aswell but read that's normal

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum. Not to sure about your sov but Atkinsons is a reputable dealer. Was it in a mint seal when you got it? I would think a 2015 would be fine.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

• Founder & Administrator

Welcome to the forum, I don't own a single sovereign so can't comment.

But if you upload some pics I am sure there will be a member along soon who can help you as there are many sovereign collectors here.

From the top of my head @sovereignsteve has to be one of the most informed members here when it comes to sovereigns, but there also loads more members who know there stuff when it comes to sovereigns.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Just now, Bigchilli said:

The more I look at it the more the colour is getting to me too,its very coppery 

Getting close to a new 1p piece

The coppery colour is because sovereigns are not 999 gold. They are 22ct, and as they have other metals in them beside gold they have this appearance.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

No need to worry, if it's from Atkinsons all is fine

Sovereigns are quite coppery, (as Chris said they're 22k) I like the colour myself, you will find if you get a 22k Britannia they're quite sickly gold coloured in comparison. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Good work guys, some good info and photos here, should help the OP no end.

Modern sovs can be very "coppery" in colour as previously said. Nice in moderation but unlike Kman I don't particularly like it myself as I feel some of them go way too far in this respect.

The edge of gold sovs can vary quite a bit from year to year and you're more likely to notice it with a brand new, crisply struck coin.

It's also worth bearing in mind that occasional mis-struck coins can be sometimes found that are off centre or with one side more deeply recessed than the other one. These can look as though the edge is more prominent and raised than normal. Nothing to worry about in a bullion coin.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

I am no expert and would of thought buying 2015's over earlier years is more favorable as a bullion coin,as your getting an unworn fresh coin with the whole weight of the coin.

I have bought many coins from Atkinson's and will in the future,they are a reputable source of coins.

8 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Good work guys, some good info and photos here, should help the OP no end.

Most of the photos are from the OP :lol:

I have added a 'Topic Author' badge, so it is now easier to see in Topics who the 'Original Poster' or 'Topic Author' is.

Discounts / Offers

1 hour ago, ChrisSilver said:

Most of the photos are from the OP :lol:

I have added a 'Topic Author' badge, so it is now easier to see in Topics who the 'Original Poster' or 'Topic Author' is.

LOL that'll teach me to be more attentive when relying. I thought the replies were unusually quick and thorough !

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Yeah they all have a raised edge lately you can see it even on their photos on the royal mint site on the new 2016 ones, the reference sovereign from 2013 was 1.69mm thick see here http://blog.royalmint.com/new-bullion-options-from-the-royal-mint-the-home-of-uk-coins/ 

I recently picked up a whole tube of 25 (directly from the mint) , see photo, the coppery appearance is something you might only notice under natural light because the coins are new and made from crown gold (basically 8% copper) older coins would have looked the same when freshly minted (although they used to have some silver mixed with the copper).

Bullion sovereigns today are not struck to the same standard as BU or proof if the coin is struck too hard the metal will spread toward the rim (die strike is another way of saying hammer), they probably set the machine to hit hard and fast and not bother to try to regulate the strikes because they don't need to it is bullion.

IMG_0007.JPG

Thanks, i might add that the prices direct from the mint are not that much dearer than the likes of atkinsons, i only spent the extra bit (like £60) to see what their service is like, and to be honest there is no difference between buying from the mint and bullion dealers EXCEPT the mint charge more and are slow to deliver and are more hassle to sign up and get an account.

Bullion dealers buy in bulk and get them close to spot so we should be thankful they don't charge more because technically they could, the demand is high enough.

I've used Atkinsons , ATS bullion and goldline (baird&co) and i rate all three very highly and will stick to them for future bullion purchases.

16 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

If I dare be cheeky, feel free to smack me down for being nosey, but are you a re-seller or a serious gold investor?

No just an investor, i recently sold a bunch of stock holdings, i was riding on the back of the stock market from 2010- june this year then i decided to sell up about 80% of fund holdings and add to my gold position ( i already had some).

With interest rates so low for so long my impression is that in general people have been chasing yield and taking advantage of cheap credit for so long now that everything is distorted so i got out of most of it, talk of negative rates and bans on cash basically tell you that cash is worthless and assets are overpriced as a result. And so here i am.

That tube of 25 sure looks impressive. It must feel good to hold although I think my collector self would cringe at all those coins touching each other.

I just put my sovereigns in two RM tubes, but they hold 29 each, assume the edges are more raised on newer ones.

It's a nice weight to hold in the hand, especially two of them full.

I'm sure they will come out in exactly the same condition they went in, well hopefully anyway [emoji1]

Stacker since 2013

Archived