• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Perth Mint updated 2013 numismatic mintages

motorbikez

The Privy 1oz coin is rarer than the standard bullion coin, with the Lunar horse for e.g. there are 300,000 mintages for the 1oz coin, but with only a maximum of 50,000 for the privy. 

The Privy 1oz coin is rarer than the standard bullion coin, with the Lunar horse for e.g. there are 300,000 mintages for the 1oz coin, but with only a maximum of 50,000 for the privy.

I thought it was 300k for the standard and 200k for the lion privy, for a total mintage of 500k?

Stacker since 2013

Hi Danny-boy Am I right in saying you collect 1oz coins in the main?  If so you are like me, Though I do collect the odd other size coin mainly to make up collections. Have you gone onto the link, I have saved the pdf file for quick ref.  For example every year the 1oz coin has 300,000 minted then when sold out they then mint the privy coin at varying amount of coins for example

2012 dragon privy 200,000

2012 kook     privy 80,000

2013 snake   privy 100,000

2013 kook     privy  15,000

To me for future reference privy mint numbers are important for sales, eg a 2013 kook would command a higher premium than a 2012 kook as there a fewer.  What is your view on this?

Its basically a way  the mint can extend the mintage of the coin while officially keeping the numbers down.  For example the Lunar Dragon had 300,000 minted sold out, then just put a Privy sign on the coin and there you go another 200,000 were sold not so rare now is it.

Though a sort after coin, I suspect a lot of Dragons are in investors who rushed in when the silver price was on the up and high and now the coins are collecting dust  forgotten about waiting for the Silver price to rise at which point they will be dumped at spot price.

The type of investor i'm talking about  are the sheep who follow the crowd and continually invest in the next big thing, loosing money and never beating the market probably in bonds now when they are at 200 year high. 

Hi Danny-boy Am I right in saying you collect 1oz coins in the main? If so you are like me, Though I do collect the odd other size coin mainly to make up collections. Have you gone onto the link, I have saved the pdf file for quick ref. For example every year the 1oz coin has 300,000 minted then when sold out they then mint the privy coin at varying amount of coins for example

2012 dragon privy 200,000

2012 kook privy 80,000

2013 snake privy 100,000

2013 kook privy 15,000

To me for future reference privy mint numbers are important for sales, eg a 2013 kook would command a higher premium than a 2012 kook as there a fewer. What is your view on this?

Hi Pipers,

I am indeed a 1oz man in the main, but like you I have now started on other sizes. I have half oz up to 10oz now.

I see your point, I thought all lion privy lunars were 200k to give an overall 500k for the design. I was surprised to see the snake at 100k max and only 50k sold. I see that as good news.

I agree that generally, lower mintage in the same series will give higher premiums, assuming the designs have the same desirability factor.

I only buy a couple of each coin, so if one skyrockets in price I'm not retiring (people with tubes will take a good profit), but I am spreading my chances if multiples do well.

I'm in it for the long term, and I'm a collector so I like sets etc. hopefully my entire stack will appreciate generally to assist retirement funds or for my daughter.

Only time tells what each coin is worth, it doesn't always follow mintage numbers, or common sense for that matter!!!

D

Stacker since 2013

Its always nice to make money at something you enjoy, that is one reason I collect a variety of coins coins though mainly 1oz.   I think you are right about Mintage numbers.  

Archived