• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sealed Gold

Pipers

When I buy Gold for example a kangaroo it comes in a nice capsule, but when I buy a Panda, Britannia or Buffalo they come in ugly plastic cases the Buffalo's have USA stamped on the plastic.  Now I have kept them in the cheap plastic casings up to now so the resale price would be higher but am I doing the right thing? Would I be better putting them in capsules? Your thoughts please. 

• Founder & Administrator

I think some Panda collectors specifically look for coins in the plastic packaging. And therefore a lot of collectors keep them all in these ugly plastic bags they come from in the mint.

The only reason those pieces of packaging are there is to protect the coin from scratches etc during transit. They aren't designed to be display packaging. So why on earth so many people regard them as necessary to keep I do not know, the fear of not getting the maximum profit when they resell. I bet a lot of collectors never even sell their coins, so just end up keeping them in ugly packaging the whole of their life, ha.

If I purchase some gold Pandas in the future as well as any other gold coin, I will be definitely be putting them in capsules. I think it's much nicer.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I have some 1/10ths which I want to remove from the packaging. My philharmonic and krugerrand are loose so I opened the Britannia. I'm thinking of doing the same with the Maples and Pandas to make them all uniform. Stuff in capsules I'll leave alone.

I'd take them out, seems like everyone takes our their coins from mint packaging and securing them in capsules anyway. Personally capsules look nicer than that, they store better in capsules and the only concievable reason I can see for keeping them in that packaging is to say "Ah, but they're mint sealed! I'll add a couple of quid for that" which is BS in my opinion.

I've got a sovereign in a flip, not got round to getting a proper capsule for it yet, but it's temporary.

Take 'em out, but only if you can store them properly.

Don't forget that gold doesn't tarnish like silver so you can handle them as you wish.

I have some Sovs which are loose and I have no plans to cap them.

Don't forget that gold doesn't tarnish like silver so you can handle them as you wish.

^^^^^^ this

It's not as though opening them up carefully then transferring them to any other storage medium will tarnish them unless you try to use a chainsaw to open them up. I handle my gold all the time :)

I have a lot of duplicate 1982 half sovs that I now keep in a coin tube designed for this size.

I handle them, wash them etc. because they are only worth their weight in gold.

If you get a new coin then keep it protected in a sleeve or holder but don't expect a higher price because of condition.

A proof coin on the other hand will sell for a decent margin if in FDC condition meaning it has not been touched since new and is flawless - no marks, spots or microscopic fine scratches.

If you get a new coin then keep it protected in a sleeve or holder but don't expect a higher price because of condition.

I have a bit of an issue with this, mainly that value won't increase for good quality, but value will decrease for poor quality. That's my opinion. Given two coins, one grubby or damaged and the other BU, if they were of equal price I would definitely consider the BU example as worth more than the crappy one.

Hopefully that makes some sense.

I have a bit of an issue with this, mainly that value won't increase for good quality, but value will decrease for poor quality. That's my opinion. Given two coins, one grubby or damaged and the other BU, if they were of equal price I would definitely consider the BU example as worth more than the crappy one.

Hopefully that makes some sense.

I agree if selling privately but if you sell to a bullion dealer the price will be determined by his electronic scales alone.

• Founder & Administrator

Gold won't tarnish, but don't forget that gold is a very soft metal. They could easily get damaged and knocked about if outside of capsules.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Thanks guys I'm still none the wiser, I can't afford to buy 2 of 1oz Gold coins.  Its just that the Australian coins look nicer in the capsules. I might put my loose maples and Philharmonics in capsules to start to see what it look like.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like to leave things exactly as they arrive, unless they are just lose in a zip lock bag in which case I will capsule them. I have some New Zealand ferns which also come in plastic like the pandas do, sheets at a time. I will leave them in the plastic. I don't think it makes any real difference to the resale price, it's just me being anal! lol

New Zealand fern. I'll have to look into trying to source one. I'm ordering a New Zealand Kiwi soon.

I like everything to be uniform so I'm going to cap everything that'll fit into a 32mm air-tite. I think so of the things I'll be ordering will be in sealed assay cards which is a real shame.

I kept my 2012 silver panda in its sealed sleeve until someone told me the 2012 edition never came in one, I've had it a while now and 2 weeks ago I cracked it open and found out it was fake, it looks perfect, perfect weight, but the magnet test proved it wasn't real, I tell ya those counterfeiters are getting a bit to good for my liking,      

I kept my 2012 silver panda in its sealed sleeve until someone told me the 2012 edition never came in one, I've had it a while now and 2 weeks ago I cracked it open and found out it was fake, it looks perfect, perfect weight, but the magnet test proved it wasn't real, I tell ya those counterfeiters are getting a bit to good for my liking,

Ouch Garth, that's an expensive annoyance.

Are you able to get any money back?

Stacker since 2013

I bought it on my Mums ebay account so haven't had a chance to get my money back yet, one things for sure I wont be buying anymore pandas off ebay, there's quite obviously a number of fakes on there.

Archived