• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Going electric (car)

In some of the isles I understand they are encouraging residents to buy electric motors as the county produces 105% of all electricity needs through renewables and have no way of storing the excess currently. huge storage batteries are being produced for this very purpose now though. They have improved capacity, lack of degradation and production costs of these batteries to a viable level. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

Makes perfect sense on islands. On Lewis they have a good network for charging, same on Orkney.

In the highlands we have a ring of brand new rapid chargers right around the coast, mabye 30 miles apart each. I'm not sure if the last few are operational yet as they are not on some of the compilation maps but I saw a local complaining about one in Scourie in my local paper as electric cars can "only travel 30 miles and take 12 hours to charge"... Or travel up to 350 miles and charge in 30 minutes (if you have the money)

The charge points are a bit like caravan chargers. You can still plug in with a 3 pin but you need a proper charger installed if you want faster (included with some cars and free in scotland if you have an electro car)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Founder & Administrator

Waitrose have a lot of electric charging car park spaces, if you live locally to a waitress with a plug then you could effectively run your car from free electricity :)

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

• Founder & Administrator

Hah, a waitress with a plug ;)

Opps, Autocorrect.

But soon restaurants will probably have plugs for your electric cars ;)

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Charges for charging vary all over the country. In Scotland most are pretty much free. Ecotricity Electric highway is free in England.

I'm of the opinion that free is too cheap. As adoption increases charges will be needed to make the use of the infrastructure more efficient.

• 1 month later...

Nice but not available until the end of the decade. Range and acceleration aren't even as good a top of the range tesla saloon you can buy today.

The 800v 15 minute charge sounds good but I suspect other companies will be doing much better than that by 2020.

Both my parents cars are coming to the end of their leases and he is actually considering an electric for his commuting workhorse.

Archived