• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Going electric (car)

I've ordered an electric car. In the end I decided to go for the new renault zoe dynamique nav which has the new r240 motor with a NEDC rating of 149 miles range (probably closer to 110-130 real life) but It won't be delivered untill december. I'll be leasing the older Q210 engine zoe from late October untill delivery date.

I'll be saving £167 a month over my current car, a Honda CRZ GT hybrid (finance + running costs)

I really did my home work on this one so feel free to ask questions and stare opinions.

What put me off electric or hybrid cars is the bank of batteries that will some day need replaced and figures like £4000 are touted as being the going rate for replacing said batteries.  This is fine if you can buy one new under a comprehensive warranty and get rid of it before the time comes to need the batteries replaced but to me it makes buying a used electric car a very risky proposition.

Plus are the fully electric cars not still short range and you need to find a plug point to charge them, at least with a hybrid the petrol engine charges the batteries.

I'm a petrol head, they will have to force me off a conventional petrol engine which they no doubt will do some day.  Every time I look for a new car I struggle to find one that's not too loaded with electronic wizardry as I just associate that with expense.  It's getting harder and harder to get cars I can work on myself.

I've ordered an electric car. In the end I decided to go for the new renault zoe dynamique nav which has the new r240 motor with a NEDC rating of 149 miles range (probably closer to 110-130 real life) but It won't be delivered untill december. I'll be leasing the older Q210 engine zoe from late October untill delivery date.

I'll be saving £167 a month over my current car, a Honda CRZ GT hybrid (finance + running costs)

I really did my home work on this one so feel free to ask questions and stare opinions.

I'm surprised the range would be sufficient living where you do. How long do they take to charge?

I must confess I like the idea of an electric car but I'm sceptical about the limitations imposed by range and charging time. Useful if you just toddle around town all the time or only do infrequent short journeys.

How much does it cost in electricity for a full charge? and do the batteries wear out and need changing at some point in the future?

Does it cost to dispose of them/recycle them? Oh the questions just roll up once you start thinking about it!

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Charge time is anything from 30 minutes to 4 hours on a charger. A home charger is included. If you want to charge from a 3pin plug then things get really slow.

Scotland is increasing its quite impressive network of rapid (30minute) chargers which makes long distance travel doable. Just means a pit stop every 100-120 miles... Which you'd probably do anyway.

Check out https://www.zap-map.com/ to see how many public chargers are available in the uk.

The batteries usually have a very long warranty period. 6-8 years depending on the maker. If you do a battery lease then its all the manufacturers problem to sort out.

They make a perfect 2nd car for local runs and commuting and can be used as a primary car if your willing to take a little longer and plan ahead.

I had a Renault Twizy for 18months and I changed to a Smart EV. I absolutely adore driving electric.

All my commuting every day is done in my electric smart.

The new smart ev's will have Renaults new r240 engine.

Love the crz. Got 55mpg. Lovely manual gearbox. Beautiful machine. Not very pratical as no human can fit in the back seats.

Bit of a compromise car, despite the amazing handling. Not that fast for a sporty thing but fast. Not that efficient for a hybrid, but pretty efficient.

58d0e12712155701e26609876f910adf.jpg

When an electric car runs out of juice does it just stop like a phone or go slower and die like a drill?

You never let it run out or you are in major trouble

When an electric car runs out of juice does it just stop like a phone or go slower and die like a drill?

Varies depending on car. Normally you get a few miles after 0% followed by a reduced power mode, followed by total shut down to protect the batteries.

The range dramatically increases at lower speeds so if you know you are stuck for charging you can limp a long way.

If you are worried about the battery degredation you only have to look at the reducing price of batteries per kwh of storage. In four years you may beable to replace like for like for a fraction of the current cost or have a major upgrade for todays price. Modern brushless Electric motors don't wear out like normal engines, they'll just need a bearing change at some point.

Scotland's grid is 50% powered by renewables, higher in the Highlands where I am.

Oh yeah! That's something I didn't know, nuke and wind are major generators in the Scottish grid ...

It would only be a coal-powered car in England.

If you are worried about the battery degredation you only have to look at the reducing price of batteries per kwh of storage. In four years you may beable to replace like for like for a fraction of the current cost or have a major upgrade for todays price. Modern brushless Electric motors don't wear out like normal engines, they'll just need a bearing change at some point.

8000 miles so far in my Smart.

Zero battery degradation

So the sun doesn't always shine and the wind doesn't blow, some months theres less water for hydro.

If there were enough electric cars plugged in they could absorb excess electricity instead of it being lost (for example when Germany exports leccy for free on sunny days) and could resupply the grid on still days, helping to even out the troughs and peaks and making it possible to go 100% renewable.

Not so good for your gen1 leaf but no bother for tesla style ranges.

Free market solution would be some nice charging software so your can would charge say to 80% and keep 20% to take free excess electricity and programmed to sell energy back to the grid when the grid is short.

So the sun doesn't always shine and the wind doesn't blow, some months theres less water for hydro.

If there were enough electric cars plugged in they could absorb excess electricity instead of it being lost (for example when Germany exports leccy for free on sunny days) and could resupply the grid on still days, helping to even out the troughs and peaks and making it possible to go 100% renewable.

Not so good for your gen1 leaf but no bother for tesla style ranges.

Free market solution would be some nice charging software so your can would charge say to 80% and keep 20% to take free excess electricity and programmed to sell energy back to the grid when the grid is short.

What's the actual practical aspects of being plugged in and charging/selling back to the grid etc?

I assume it's all hunky dory if you have a nice big empty garage but what about the millions who have to park on the street etc?

Yes agreed. I was really wondering if you need to be parked in a garage. Is it just a cable that you can plug in similar to a caravan or do you get a charging station of some description and have to park right next to?

Archived