• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

genuine bullion/coins

craig12

are you guaranteed a genuine item if you buy from a reputable dealer, just going back to the fisch test

will bullion dealers be checking what they buy in before resale

although its interesting to read that the new sovereigns and brittanias fail the fisch test because they've got larger and different diamiter

If you're buying new, then yes.

If it's a used item, then you should do as long as they have done the appropriate checks and tests for the products they buy in. If they're reputable and know what they're doing, then they should have done.

• Founder & Administrator

It is very unlikely that a reputable dealer is selling coins that are not genuine. Most buy directly from the mints. And larger ones probably have some sort of checks in place when buying from the secondary market.

However, there was a case were one reputable dealer was selling PAMP Suisse gold bars that were drilled out and filled with tungsten.

The only thing you are guaranteed of in this life is taxes and death. Lol

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I received a fake sovereign ( jeweller's copy ) from a very reputable UK dealer not so long ago.

I discovered this myself and when I provided the evidence the dealer immediately replaced the coin with an apology.

This is very rare fortunately but I ALWAYS weigh my gold coins irrespective of who is the seller.

• 2 weeks later...

Who was the Dealer Pete? If you don't want to put it on a public forum send me a message.  I buy Gold new and 2nd hand from dealers so would appreciate the information please. 

• 4 weeks later...

with some misplaced enthusiasm I just spent £70 on what I thought were some nice old silver 1oz coins at a car boot, turns out they are fake. What can I do with them other than throw them in the bin? Pretty annoyed but could have been a lot worse I guess

If you're sure they're fake then there's not a lot you can do, it's very muc h "buyer beware" i'm afraid especially if you had the chance to handle and examine them (within reason) at the point of purchase.

with some misplaced enthusiasm I just spent £70 on what I thought were some nice old silver 1oz coins at a car boot, turns out they are fake. What can I do with them other than throw them in the bin? Pretty annoyed but could have been a lot worse I guess

What was it that gave them away as fakes? 

It was a batch with a couple of convincingly worn old dollars and libertads in it so I didn't inspect them all and just took them. When I got home, I had a closer look and realised that one of them had Spanish writing on one side, and German on the other, so I did some searching and then it clicked. My magnet arrived by the time I got home so I tested them and it stuck to every single one, but I already knew at this point.

Thought I had a super bargain, turns out not

You can also ingrave them or permanently mark them on back side with "FAKE" and sell them.

If they are decent fakes, always someone who wants them and are willing to pay a bit for them.

Maybe you can get some money back that way.

My first attempt in collecting silver coins was a BIG mistake.

About 2 years ago i was trying my luck on swedish version of ebay and bought a 1895s Morgan for just over 1100:- sek  ~£100

took it to a coinstore a few weeks later and they could not say with certainty that it was a fake, but they where still sure it was fake.

It took me 3 stores to get what was wrong with it, it had correct weght, diameter and looked decent.

It was the thicknes that was about 1mm to thick  :( '

It took me near 1,5 year until i was brave enough to try again, but when i had my 1st legit 0,999 silvercoin in my hand I was hooked for life :wub:

I stil have that fake Morgan to remind me to do some research b4 i buy each time  :blink: 

Yep keep as a decoy and/or send to CyberCurtainTwitcher to destroy on youtube.

I think the decoy plan is a bad idea. If Mr Burglar breaks in and sees those decoy coins he will think/hope that you got more coins lying around. I prefer that he sees no coins at all.

I think the decoy plan is a bad idea. If Mr Burglar breaks in and sees those decoy coins he will think/hope that you got more coins lying around. I prefer that he sees no coins at all.

I agree with Cointreau here, no coins found is better than fake coins found.

Stacker since 2013

Archived