• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

BullionByPost buy gold.co.uk domain for £600,000

Kman

The gold.co.uk internet address has changed hands for £600,000, in what is believed to be a record price for a website with the British “.co.uk” ending.

Rob Halliday-Stein, an entrepreneur who founded BullionByPost, Britain’s biggest online gold dealer, purchased the domain name this summer.

If any domain’s worth something, gold.co.uk is,” Mr Halliday-Stein said. “We haven’t earned the money back yet, but I’m taking a 20-year view on it.

“I guess there’s a little bit of vanity in it, but it’s pragmatic vanity.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet/11870003/Gold-website-fetches-record-price-for-.co.uk-domain-name.html

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

I can remember back in the late 90s kicking myself for not buying up some valuable domain names when most were still available. I recall when business.com was sold for over $7 million, and sex.com was reckoned to be worth $6 million per year in advertising revenue.

Was not me no lol

Thinking about it I wouldn't be shocked if the price is heavily inflated and indeed a lie

BullionByPost like their publicity don't they 

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

question for you kman. How ARE values calculated. Is it like an auction or do you just make up a price and see if anyone bites

You could auction on sedo or similar 

Better to wait for someone to contact you, they make you an offer, or you say what you want, you might haggle a bit, come to a deal

The price is whatever the seller is happy to sell for and the buyer is willing to pay 

Thinking about it I wouldn't be shocked if the price is heavily inflated and indeed a lie

BullionByPost like their publicity don't they 

If i recall back November last year when BBP had their crowdcube funding thingy live, for a week or so, they made reference to owning the the domain gold.co.uk back then

Their spiv spiel was it meant to trying and emulate a bullionvault/goldmoney digital platform for buying the yellow metal before they quickly withdrew the offering

Jewellery Quarter Bullion Ltd is the parent company for both.  Gold.co.uk is more straight forward bullion and doesn't cater for collectors.  Either that or they're still adding inventory.

• 10 months later...
6 minutes ago, Madstacks said:

God knows if its worth anything but bought with the idea to try and sell for a few quid.

It's not likely it's worth anything, sorry to say

It's always a good idea to check how many sites use the keywords in their domain name and how many extensions it's already taken it

In this case it's pretty much none for either 

The only possibly buyer seems to be saxon jewellery .com.au 

You could always send her an email and ask for $250, but it's pretty optimistic 

1 minute ago, richo said:

I would rather they worked on efficiency and lowered their prices, rather than splurging on more costs. They are already more expensive than HGM and Coin Invest. Have never used them.

They have some rarer coins sometimes at "ok" prices 

21 hours ago, Kman said:

It's not likely it's worth anything, sorry to say

It's always a good idea to check how many sites use the keywords in their domain name and how many extensions it's already taken it

In this case it's pretty much none for either 

The only possibly buyer seems to be saxon jewellery .com.au 

You could always send her an email and ask for $250, but it's pretty optimistic 

Thanks for the advice Kman, it was one of those spur of the moment its only £20 quid investments lol, was renewing some others that I need to keep in my name. 

I noticed both celticjewellery and vikingjewellery were up for sale so figured id give it a try. 

Archived