• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Dental Gold

Scuzzle

How much actual gold is in dental gold, I have a gold crown and my dentist wants to replace it with a porcelain one but my spider sense is tingling.  My old dentist retired and I got passed over to the other guy in his partnership and although I have only been to him twice now he always seems to find work that needs done that my old dentist would not.  I'm not not certain if he is doing a good job in preventing any issues with my dental health or if he's just one of these guys who will always find something needing done as that's how they get paid.

He told me the crown needed replaced because the gum was receding and it would start to decay inside it but I think my gum only shrank because he blasted it with cold air, if you don't do this it feels fine to me.  He left it up to me if I wanted it done or not but I'm thinking I will just leave it and if it ever does come away I will keep it if it's worth anything and say I spat it out with a mouthful of food and lost it.

Keep away from toffee as that will pull the crown loose. I had my gold crown taken out and HGM gave me only about £30 for it.

I used to think the crown might be worth a few hundred quid, so lower your expectations accordingly. :(

Sorry, mine was a gold filling not a crown but it was quite  a chunky piece of 14 carat gold.

Archived