• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New Sovereigns v's Old Sovereigns

HGM

All ideas are taken on board and we can look into this.

We are able to offer competitive premiums as we can turn the stock around quickly and do not need to hold any coins. If we start offering specific dates and heads then it may be that the more unpopular coins are held in stock for longer periods of time.

If we start offering specific dates and heads then it may be that the more unpopular coins are held in stock for longer periods of time.

Sounds like a very fair point, and one I hadn't considered.

I think the current 4% premium is very fair, and is the most important part. If changes can't be implemented at that premium, then don't change anything [emoji3]

Stacker since 2013

The current Australian coins are the Australian Nuggets with the kangaroo design on them, however they can be any 1oz Australian coin. We do not tend to see these ones as often.

To me I like a mix of both old and newer, it all comes down to cost.

I buy from HGM because of your keen pricing, I like the way the site is set out and I like the way the staff have helped out the 2 times I have phoned up.   

The one thing that would rub me up the wrong way would be if someone was cherry picking all the good dates for the same premium as everyone else.  IMO sovereigns should be mixed up and sold as 'sovereign  bullion'.  

I don't understand how an old sovereign steeped in history and well over a century old is not worth any more than a spanking new one.

Well if it's steeped in history then I say get the Goddards gold cleaner out and clean that steep away, then the gold will look much better !

I don't understand how an old sovereign steeped in history and well over a century old is not worth any more than a spanking new one so I usually go for a new one.

Don't understand what you are saying here. It appears to read that you appreciate an old sovereign should be worth more than a new one but you would prefer to buy a new one!

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

That's it exactly,  what is the point in buying an old one if it's worth no more than a brand new one, I can get a new carded one for the same money as an old tatty one.  I would expect the old one to be worth more but very few of them actually are and I don't get it.

I see more profit from a low minted nickel plated 50p or £2 coin from a few years ago that I will from a gold sovereign that's over a century old, just seems a bit daft to me so it looks to me like old ones are fine if you are purely a collector but not worth the extra effort in pursuing if you want an investment over time.

That's it exactly, what is the point in buying an old one if it's worth no more than a brand new one, I can get a new carded one for the same money as an old tatty one.  I would expect the old one to be worth more but very few of them actually are and I don't get it.

I see more profit from a low minted nickel plated 50p or £2 coin from a few years ago that I will from a gold sovereign that's over a century old, just seems a bit daft to me.

worth and value is inherent in the item. price is

what the market currently assigns it. is gold really

worth $1081 which may be lower than the all in

costs of some mines to produce the gold?

given complete freedom to choose, I'd choose the

victoria every time. (I don't think modern sovereigns

are as good in quality as older circulating sovereigns)

HH

That's understandable but you are relying on things changing one day and suddenly people accepting that the older ones should be worth more and I'm just surprised this has not happened already given the history of the sovereign.

That's understandable but you are relying on things changing one day and suddenly people accepting that the older ones should be worth more and I'm just surprised this has not happened already given the history of the sovereign.

They already are. Almost without exception, older sovereigns are currently worth more than modern ones of comparable grade/condition.

edit: exceptions would be poor quality bullion grade coins.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived