• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Whatever happened to The Silver Forum ?

HighlandTiger

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im still here for the silver. your not on your own :)

Looks like you are though.

I'm slowly moving out of physical silver, (still buying allocated silver though), and transferring it all into gold. For me it's a storage issue, along with the lengthy time consuming exit strategy that is needed when selling physical silver

I'm slowly moving out of physical silver, and transferring it all into gold. For me it's a storage issue, along with the lengthy time consuming exit strategy that is needed when selling physical silver

Snap, same here and for the same reason.

One reason I'd add, is milk spots. They have made me very wary of semi-numi silver, as I have been burned numerous times now.

Stacker since 2013

I still buy some silver but it is in the form of pre 1920's British currency and has become more of a hobby than an investment in the metal. In fact the cost of most of my recent purchases have been many times over the value of the metal and have been almost purely for numismatic value. About 4 months ago I realised that I could have the same images and history by investing in sovereigns and have a bullion investment at the same time!

The prices of crowns seems to be holding at the levels I started collecting them and have not dropped with spot value as expected, which is interesting.

I also have a core holding of silver 1oz Brittanias (2014/2015) and did intend to continue adding through STG....

But gold is just too cheap now and is more liquid than silver in that you can sell for 97%-98% spot quickly. Gold is also tax free and compact by comparison of holding the same wealth in silver.  

If silver drops to crazy low I will take a speculative position in the metal. If gold becomes out of reach price wise in the future, I will fall to silver to store some of my wealth again. But for now its mostly about the gold  ;)

I'm still here for the silver , I don't own any gold but I must admit with these price drops I might start having a look at some small gold fractionals when Ive got some cash

I just cant accept silvers premiums, if I was to order 20 maples from the cheapest place they work out at £11.90 each, and whilst that sounds nice spot price is currently £9.35! Without doing the exact maths that's as near as matters a 31/32% Premium - or I could buy a single sovereign 6/7% over spot delivered dropping down further for larger buys.

I will still hold what silver I own, and will always what I can pick up at the bootsales for around spot price or less, but otherwise I just cant justify buying it..For now.

Nothing against Silver. Love Lunar Panda Libertad etc but I think that Gold is more interesting generally. I have no plans to sell my silver as at these prices I am a buyer not a seller.

I'm still buying collectable silver & will continue to do so, if I need something for my collection I buy it. I'm not concerned with spot price of silver or gold for that matter. This is a long term game especially for bullion buyers. If you are flapping about commodity prices trending down, you should be buying monthly ( £ cost averaging) or quit altogether if you need money & have to sell at a loss or are frightened by big drops.

Anyone got 2004 kook silver proof 2 coin set I'll pay £100 per oz for it.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Just sitting tight whilst the storm bashes all of us Ag-stackers; but it will pass I hope.

The chatter about gold is it is at a relatively low spot right now and many silver stackers are being tempted into this higher value metal.

They do say silver is the poor man's gold.

As for comparing margins etc some of the earlier comments whilst true can also be misleading.

You can buy gold at say 3% over spot and sell at say 98% of spot to there is a 5% spread between buying and selling.

This spread is easily made up by market fluctuations and therefore looks very attractive because of this.

Perhaps seen as a lower risk ?

If you compare STG silver prices with say eBay prices you will see an opportunity to make a small profit right now.

A relatively low increase in the price of silver will make the gain much higher.

You only loose on silver if selling back to the bullion dealers who do not factor VAT or semi-numi value into their offer price.

Another consideration is the gold / silver ratio and where this value appears higher than it should be then that suggests silver is too cheap or gold is too expensive - either way that does suggest the best gain potential right now should be in silver.

If you compare STG silver prices with say eBay prices you will see an opportunity to make a small profit right now.

You only loose on silver if selling back to the bullion dealers who do not factor VAT or semi-numi value into their offer price.

You also have to factor in the hassle factor.

With gold, you can usually walk somewhere local and get 98% for gold, or thereabouts.

With silver, you need to take photos, list it on eBay, wait 7-10 days, wait for payment, package and then ship, then hope you don't get stiffed by the buyer.

Granted, that effort will get you at least 40-50% over spot after fees and postage, but you probably already paid 25-30% over spot in the first place.

In that instance, gold certainly wins favour in my book.

Stacker since 2013

Archived