• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold PM High Reliefs

ChrisSilver

• Founder & Administrator

I very much like the look of the gold high relief 1oz koala coins. I don't really have any gold bullion, so need to buy some of that first before thinking about gold numismatics. Also completely spent out all of my savings on silver, so it's not like I have any spare cash to buy even a little bit of gold at the moment.

If I saved some money rather than spending on silver, which is hard, I could probably afford 1 of these HR gold coins each year. But wouldn't really leave me any money to buy gold bullion.

At about £375 extra premium over a 1oz gold coin, are these gold koala HR's worth it? 

It would be nice to collect them, but would they appreciate better than gold bullion? I think gold bullion would be a better investment, what are everyone elses views?

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

There are also HR lunars, but they are very expensive. 

And a HR wedge tailed eagle on eBay for just under $10k AUD!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2014-100-Australian-Wedge-Tailed-Eagle-1oz-Gold-Proof-High-Relief-Coin-/231143121830?pt=AU_Coins2&hash=item35d13423a6&_uhb=1

I think I might stick with just collecting silver numismatics, as they are already expensive. And keep any gold purchases to strictly bullion. But what are other peoples views on the HR gold koalas?

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Once you start you can't stop. I can't afford to collect 1oz gold so decided to go for 1/10ths. Only problem with that is that there are a few which are only available in 1oz sizes. But then there are 1/10ths which are only available in proof. Namely the RAM stuff.

I have no idea on the high reliefs but if you start, you really need to limit yourself otherwise it'll start getting expensive.

Yea, once you start there is no stopping. So these things need to be well thought out and planned.

Assuming a 1oz gold roo is around £810 (from Atkinsons)

And a 1oz HR koala is around £1200 with delivery (from silber-corner.de)

That's about a £390 added premium for the HR coin. Is it worth it? I presume it will retain this premium fine, but I don't know if the premium will increase, might be better to get £390 extra worth of bullion instead. And also the bullion coins are easier to sell should/when I decide to sell in the future.

Might just be more economical for me to collect the bullion kangaroo coins until such a time that I am rich enough to buy the HR koala coins, but then again the HR coins might increase in value more by then?

I think the HR lunar coins were a good investment, seems like the only place to buy them now is on eBay for ridiculous prices. Not sure how much love the gold koala coins will get.

Discounts / Offers

I don't see any point in these HR coins, they are just another expensive addition to the plethora of things one may decide to collect. Same with coloured coins. Don't see he point of paying extra just for an alternative version of the same 1 Oz of silver or gold. Give me the good old standard coin any day. 

I don't know if these coins will hold all that extra premium as prices increase. Worth looking at some older HR coins I guess to see how they are doing. I'd be surprised if they were doing brilliantly well.

I don't see any point in these HR coins, they are just another expensive addition to the plethora of things one may decide to collect. Same with coloured coins.

I'm with Sham on this one, but horses for courses all the same.

Stacker since 2013

I think I am going to save up and when the time comes to buying some gold I am just get plain gold bullion coins instead.

I think it only makes sense to buy expensive high premium proofs if you already have a lot of bullion, and I don't really have any gold bullion right now. 

So I will stick to just the silver HR proofs, will also be easier on the wallet.

Just noticed there is an MS70 HR Lunar Horse on Apmex for $1739 right now, seems like a good price as they are selling the standard Koala HR gold coins for $1742.

Discounts / Offers

If you have 1.5oz of funds to spend a year and want a little variety I would suggest 1/2oz each of PM Lunar, China Panda and PM Kangaroo each year.

If you have 1.5oz of funds to spend a year and want a little variety I would suggest 1/2oz each of PM Lunar, China Panda and PM Kangaroo each year.

Yea, this is a nice mixture. I might end up buying some fractionals, as they are more affordable, but I want to check them out first to see if I like the size.

Wouldn't mind collecting a 1oz roo and 1oz lunar each year though, as the design is different each year. And then eventually buy one of each of the 1oz pure gold coins from the ones that don't change design each year, i.e. britannia, buffalo, maple. That's my plan for gold I think.

If I had the money wouldn't mind a panda and a 1oz Somalian elephant each year as well as collecting these HR koalas, but can't have them all  :lol:

Discounts / Offers

If I can afford it this year, I want to get:

UK Lunar 1oz - Because it'll be different each year and I'm not paying £200+ on a 1/10 proof

Canadian Howling Wolf 1oz - I believe it's only available in 1oz and there will be three in the series

PM 25th Anniversary Roo - Again, I believe it's only available in 1oz

For everything else, I'm going to do 1/10th.  Roo, Britania, Krugerrand, Eagle, Maple, Panda, Philharmonic, PM Lunar.  However, I will be backdating the Roos and PM Lunar 2.  I would do the Pandas as well but they're crazy money.

If I can afford it this year, I want to get:

UK Lunar 1oz - Because it'll be different each year and I'm not paying £200+ on a 1/10 proof

Canadian Howling Wolf 1oz - I believe it's only available in 1oz and there will be three in the series

PM 25th Anniversary Roo - Again, I believe it's only available in 1oz

For everything else, I'm going to do 1/10th.  Roo, Britania, Krugerrand, Eagle, Maple, Panda, Philharmonic, PM Lunar.  However, I will be backdating the Roos and PM Lunar 2.  I would do the Pandas as well but they're crazy money.

Nice! I forgot about the gold 1oz UK lunar horse! That will probably be a good investment. Any idea if there is a max mintage on those and if they will stop minting when they release the next lunar coin? The canadian howling wolf also looks like a nice coin, only 3 in a series means it's not so hard to collect. I might buy one of those.

Ahh, there are too many gold coins to collect.  :lol: I need a larger income.

First I am going to save up for one of these these 999 gold coins with changing designs:

• Canadian howling wolf
  • UK lunar horse
  • Chinese panda
  • PM Kangaroo

Which one is going to be the best to get first? I will probably either get the howling wolf, lunar horse. Or a gold roo.

ps. apologies the thread has gone a little sideways from Gold HR's

Discounts / Offers

Chris,

The Panda will most likely have the best future value.

Your probably right. And since I am planning on stacking multiple silver pandas, it might be a good gold coin out of the list to aim to buy first. :)

Discounts / Offers

max mintage on the UK lunar horse is 30k if I remember correctly.

Personally I love the HR coins! Each to their own.

Thanks.

I like the look of the gold HR a lot. I just don't think I can justify collecting them yet when I don't have a lot of gold bullion. I could eventually buy an extra 1oz and a 1/4 ounce of gold bullion opposed to buying 3 HR gold coins.

1oz and a 1/4 is a very large amount of gold to me. Once I've collected se gold bullion coins I would like to revisit the HR coins, maybe start collecting them if the premiums aren't crazy by then.

Discounts / Offers

I buy a few 1oz Gold each year and in the following order

Australian Kangaroo

Panda

Britannia

buffalo

This year I have bought Lunar Horse Perth and I am hoping to buy a Canadian wolf plus Lunar Horse UK.

I always buy bullion on Gold not proof, Have a look on Atkinsons collectors the profit margins don't seem to increase. So to me its just not worth the risk, for the extra cost I can buy either some silver or a sovereign and some silver.   They may in the future though Esp American Eagle proof 2014 on, That's if you can get your hands on one at a reasonable price.   

Thanks pipers.

I think I've decided against the HR gold coins for now. Will just stick to buying some good bullion other the next few years, unless my finances suddenly change and I can logically afford to pay extra premium on some HR gold coins.

Discounts / Offers

• 6 months later...

I keep thinking whether I should or not.  Maybe I'll treat myself for my next birthday if I have a busy Xmas.  Assuming there's still stock.

I keep thinking whether I should or not.  Maybe I'll treat myself for my next birthday if I have a busy Xmas.  Assuming there's still stock.

That's reallyyy nice, I wouldn't mind a high relief gold coin, bet they look incredible in person, i watched this the other month, very envious 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

That's reallyyy nice, I wouldn't mind a high relief gold coin, bet they look incredible in person, i watched this the other month, very envious 

I've been eyeing that up too.  Saw a dealer with one a few weeks ago but forget who it was now.  Just need a small lotto win.

Archived