• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What have you sold? Any idea's for more silver funds?

What have you sold to use the cash to buy silver?

I have sold some old chess pieces i  got good money for,some. stamps,cloths at the rag place,scrap metal,god knows what crap i have shipped all over the country from e-bay sales.football programs,war ration books, postcards, i have even picked up wood cut it up and e bayed it turned it into silver, old box's i sold for moving all converted to silver.

Idea's for more silver cash.car boot, small jobs,i have done painting and gardening for silver money.save your Morrison rewards for the voucher trade with the wife for a fiver or sell it.

A new one i am doing in my bank is save the change the bank puts the odd from purchases into an account and it builds up don't miss it. 

I do work with my dad keeping someones estate up and running when i'm back from University, all that goes into silver or gold (there's always the student loan to dip into if there's something I really want). Need to start actually saving some money through ISAs, savings accounts and so on rather than spending it all.

One thing which is pretty petty really is merely keeping hold of all the change you get and would generally forget about like 5p, 2p or 1p pieces, putting 'em in a jar and occasionally counting it and when it's enough to buy something I'll cash it in and spend it. Takes a while, but it's my money so may as well get the maximum usage out of it.

One thing which is pretty petty really is merely keeping hold of all the change you get and would generally forget about like 5p, 2p or 1p pieces, putting 'em in a jar and occasionally counting it and when it's enough to buy something I'll cash it in and spend it.

Don't forget to separate your pre-92 2p and 1p's and stash them as your copper bullion stack.

Stacker since 2013

Don't forget to separate your pre-92 2p and 1p's and stash them as your copper bullion stack.

I used to do that, I've got an old ice cream tub full of 'em (including older coinage which is copper) but really it's not something i'm thinking about anymore. I mean i'll throw the odd example in there now and again because they're getting to harder to find (found a wheat cent in my change once) but part of me things about is it more worthwhile converting that into silver? It takes a lot of volume to be worth anything and actually trying to benefit from the metal content in it is still technically illegal right now I think, so is it worth it over a silver dollar?

Dude, don't worry about what it's worth now, it's the future price you need to think about.

My dad used to spend silver coins (he's old) - if you told him back then that people would be buying crowns for £20+ he'd have thought you were mental.

It may be illegal to melt them, but they will sell for a pretty penny when copper hits £10/oz in 30 years.

Oh, and they are free!!!! (Ish).

Stacker since 2013

I thought of saving my copper till i retire, it is more easy to liquidate than silver,just grab a bucket of copper scrap and weigh it in. But when i am taking in all my scrap the copper is what boosts the total.I dismantle everything electrical i can get hold of and strip the copper out of it.Wire flex is a really good payer if you don't want to scrap like i do cut the cords off all the stuff you throw away put it in an old barrel when you retire you will have a nice little earner.

In fact all metal is worth hoarding if you have the space and it is not an eye sore stack that metal .Even my dog food tins get weighed in must be clean no paper and flat.

I have access  to a 52 flat living complex and i have all the scrap from there,the pots and pans i have weighed in i can not imagine.Word of warning leave T.V.'S TO STAND UNPLUGGED FOR A MONTH OR TWO OTHER WISE CUT THE WRONG BIT YOU WILL GET A BELT ACROSS THE CHEST AND MY GOD IT HURTS.

its all free silver.

Giving up something is a good way of more silver money well done Dan for the ciggies.

Saving that shrapnel in a jar is cool also not petty in my eye's.

True, true, it's still there at home and it keeps getting added too but there was a point I was paranoid about getting as much copper as possible but that's worn off now. But it is still there ;)

Really don't see many of them anymore though, you could get a dozen 2p coins in your hand and only find 1 - 2 pre-92 examples

Really don't see many of them anymore though, you could get a dozen 2p coins in your hand and only find 1 - 2 pre-92 examples

Depends where you get them from - a bank and it's 5%, local amusements is 15-20%.

Stacker since 2013

Word of warning leave T.V.'S TO STAND UNPLUGGED FOR A MONTH OR TWO OTHER WISE CUT THE WRONG BIT YOU WILL GET A BELT ACROSS THE CHEST AND MY GOD IT HURTS.

Or just take the love and neutral out of the plug, leaving just the earth, and plug it back in for 30 seconds.

Beats waiting for a month!!!!

Stacker since 2013

Depends where you get them from - a bank and it's 5%, local amusements is 15-20%.

I need to start using more change in general, got a debit card which does what I need it too but I'd imagine if I withdrew a fixed amount each monday and 'lived' off that i'd manage my spending better than throwing that plastic around and maybe scavange a bit more copper too ;)

It'll be interesting to see what you get, you see plenty of people in America coin roll hunting for silver coinage still in circulation but apparently pickings are rapidly disappearing. Might not be too long before we loose the penny altogether.

But definitely collecting spare change and occasionally trading it in for silver is a pretty easy way to go about it depending on what you call 'spendable' which to me is 10p and above.

This copper is going in a big bank bag and sitting in the loft for at least 30 years.

If it amounts to nothing, I'll tat it in. If copper is £5/oz, I'll be laughing my tits off.

I'll also get £20 of 2p's from the local arcade and record the yield for that too, can't be arsed standing at the change machine for 2 hours changing £50.

Stacker since 2013

It'll be interesting to see, that's for sure.

In terms of ways money can be made for silver then a really curveball thing to do is get a couple of deactivated weapons, they work out well to put money into because they only get older and become more and more antique. Bought a Bren MkII, 1944 manufactured in Canada about 5 years ago or so, paid £295 for it at the time. The same place I got mine from are selling identical examples for £495 today so could probably make a good £150 profit.

Lee Enfield No4 Mk I* (Inglis, 1943) bought 3 or 4 years ago appreciating more slowly, from £300 to about £350 - 400 in the classifieds, but an increase in net worth nonetheless.

Typically German kit is the most expensive, then American, British then Russian. Although Russian gear is appreciating nicely, used to be able to buy a 91/30 Mosin Nagant deac for ~£100 4 - 5 years ago and it's doubled.

Slow appreciation, very much long game & specific interest, but a moneymaker nonetheless and requires absolutely zero effort because it literally just sits there getting more and more valuable. No market studying really needs to be done, what's expensive now will still be more expensive in 10 years time.

Archived