• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Average £/oz

Danny-boy

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only recently started stacking and just joined the forum, but I thought I'd throw my 2p worth into the hat. Currently I've got 40oz of silver coins at £17.36 per oz. But then I'm lucky enough to have come into the market whilst the silver price is low.

As for Maples and the milk spot issues, I currently have 12 of them, with dates 1994,2011,2012,2013 and 2014, only one had any noticeable milk spots and I soon got rid with a jewellers cleaning cloth. Probably beginners luck I suppose but I've not had any issues so far. 

I got the cloth of Ebay. Just a few quid, but it does the job. Not sure of the brand but its a turquoisey colour. Saw a guy use one on a you tube video, so I just searched until I found one that looked the same.

Is it a dry cloth or wet?

Stacker since 2013

Dry. Unless of course I'm using it wrong :unsure:

No, probably not, I have heard of both.

There are wet jewellers wipes and jewellers cloths. The cloths are similar to the ones for cleaning glasses, I tried one and it didn't work for me.

I want some very mild wet jewellers wipes to clean finger marks off a couple of my early britannias.

D

Stacker since 2013

http://www.ocado.com/product/61101011?name=Goddards_Long_Term_Silver_Cloth&source=PLA&gclid=CILVh6rMwL4CFQgKwwodVpIAHg

I tried one of these on a spotted maple and it did the trick! some very fine scratches left after but far nicer to look at now than spotted! i guess the 999.9 purity may be more prone to scratching so may get even better results on philharmonics.

Take it they don't put these on their website MZ? I can't find the used ones.

Is it a "phone & hope" job?

Cheers

Yes,just give them a ring.

If you want to mix it up and happy to pay cheap bullion premiums (Maples, Phillys etc), you can pick up things like these:

http://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=1996europeanfootballchampionshipsilverproofmedallionset.html

http://24carat.co.uk/2002goldenjubileesilverproofcrowncollection.html

20% over spot isn't too bad and adds variation.

They have a fair bit of secondary market silver products that are not listed and probably not displayed.  At 20%, you can't go wrong really especially on Proof items from the Royal Mint.

• Founder & Administrator

@morezone how do you find used bars etc on the chards site? I am searching on 24carat.co.uk and can't seem to find any preowned cheap silver.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

@morezone how do you find used bars etc on the chards site? I am searching on 24carat.co.uk and can't seem to find any preowned cheap silver.

It's not on their site. I went to their shop a few weeks ago. You will have to phone to check stock etc. The premium is 10% on 500g +. I didn't ask if it was on a single bar or single purchase but I assume the former.

Pound cost average is one thing i've been working on! I've flipped a few higher premium stuff for a good profit and i've got my Pound cost average down to a very respectable £16.65 per ounce for silver. My gold is not as good because i've got a few more expensive pieces....The only trouble i have now is, because of my OCD i don't like buying silver above this price lol. Silver-to-go helps me out there though ;)

Pound cost average is one thing i've been working on! I've flipped a few higher premium stuff for a good profit and i've got my Pound cost average down to a very respectable £16.65 per ounce for silver. My gold is not as good because i've got a few more expensive pieces....The only trouble i have now is, because of my OCD i don't like buying silver above this price lol. Silver-to-go helps me out there though ;)

Good to see you pal.

Blimey, that must be one of the best £/oz on the forum, very impressive.

I seem to be working hard to get my average up at the moment!!! Ah well, as long as I'm enjoying it then it's all good.

STG certainly is good if you are buying a decent amount.

D

Stacker since 2013

I thought I'd do a quick count of all my non 0.999 bullion silver. So that would include all my Sterling Silver coins and junk coins I've picked up, the 0.925, 0.800, 0.720, 0.500 etc, and I've discovered that amongst that lot I've got the equivalent of 24.11 oz t. At an average of £13.98 per oz t. Which was very surprising. The pre 1920 coins that you can pick up in bulk fairly cheaply can certainly add up quickly

So that brings my average total to £16.10 per oz t. 

Archived