• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Average £/oz

Danny-boy

I was just about to pull the trigger on a £1200 STG order but will wait now as I have just bought some more sovereigns!!!

Short-term investment - I believe you did the right thing - Gold will almost definately rise before silver.

They have mixed year Philharmonics for £13.71 per Oz if anyones looking to bring down the average. I was tempted but i'd rather go the extra 11p for 2014 maples.

I'm guessing my average is around £15 per Oz, delivered. STG maples beeb keeping me down but the occasional nice thing has tempted me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That 10 oz Koala at £139.94 looks a steal to me.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone here got 2014 maples with milk spots? All my 2014's are fine and are stored in mint tubes. Both me and a friend have older maples some of which have spots but all of our 2014's are fine.

I like the price, the design and the security features on the 2014 maples. It also seems 2014's achieve one of the best relative price increases (STG to Ebay).

Although, they could do with a better queen portrait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not rude at all but most antique shops will have everything priced well over the scrap price.

Agreed - but most of my successes have been the small charity shops (not part of a chain) who tend to know little about gold and silver prices. Antique shops, as Helping Hands point out, generally have a very good idea and rarely make a mistake.

Generally I'd agree, but one of them is doing 20% off cash sales in one of the cabinets which would make a couple of the less fancy items very close to spot, got my eye on an ashtray and a couple of napkin holders

Not had any luck in the charity shops yet

I am going to try and apply some logic to my stacking, no not logic RULES.

My Silver-to-Gold-Ratio was way off the scale and is now (IMHO) a respectable is 181:1. Based on the quantities I own.

The rules I will look to keep my S-t-G-R to less than 200. I could just stop buying silver and only buy gold this is not going to happen. I want to keep them both moving forward but with some guide lines.

So this now means I have to purchase slightly more gold (not much) to silver this will keep the ratio heading in the right direction..

No targets on the actual amounts of Gold or Silver I buy. Just try to get the ratio heading South, and aim for a ratio of 100:1 over time, obviously a long time. So buy slightly more gold to silver to keep it dropping slowly.

I just felt I was leaving the yellow stuff out of the equation to much.

If it does not work hey-ho nothing lost but a load of PM's gained!!!!

up until recently i thought this was a good to do, playing the gold to silver ratio when it was in silvers favour and vica versa

However this past year plus since the mega smack down in silver when you see a 'paper loss' of 25-30% and five figure loses on what you have invested

although gold has declined also in this time it certainly doesn't move anywhere near as erratically as its little brother silver.

If it is just keep my sanity and heart in good working order, im using this year to buy just gold to try to get me to a reasonable 50/50 split between gold and silver

Of course if silver resumes its price up to £50-£100 an ounce that is a different matter ! We can but dream.......................!! :wub:

Gold to silver ratios are interesting points. However, bearing in mind that the ratios between these 2 metals have ranged from 10 -100 it is difficult to predict a precise correlation.

I believe most commentators support the view that there is approximately 15 times more silver in the ground than gold, and thereby conclude that the price differential should be the same. I dont fully agree as much depends on demand and confidence and tradition etc etc. However, it is a good yardstick upon which to base long term stacking - 1oz of gold for 15 oz of silver.

In my case i'm working on 1 oz of gold for 30 oz of silver. This is because I believe it to be realistic to see silver revert to this level as opposed to the current 66 GSR within my lifetime. Also I think that silver has a double benefit in that if the world economies improve, the demand for industrial silver will rise and if economies collapse, silver will rise as the result of the increase investment in gold. That's my take on it. 

• 3 weeks later...

As a new stacker I guess I've started at the right time!  I've just placed my second order with STG

taking my total upto 50oz with a £ per Oz of £13.99 landed.  Just looking to stack as cheaply as 

possible so am only buying Maples at present.

As a new stacker I guess I've started at the right time!  I've just placed my second order with STG

taking my total upto 50oz with a £ per Oz of £13.99 landed.  Just looking to stack as cheaply as 

possible so am only buying Maples at present.

If I started again, I'd do exactly the same. Get a core holding of oz's first, then maybe get some variety later if the funds allow. It is the spice of life, so I've heard. The 10oz koala is still a good shout at STG, not much above maples and feel great to hold.

Welcome to the forum too!

If I started again, I'd do exactly the same. Get a core holding of oz's first, then maybe get some variety later if the funds allow. It is the spice of life, so I've heard. The 10oz koala is still a good shout at STG, not much above maples and feel great to hold.

They are a beautiful coin and had I had more available funds I would have been tempted considering the low premium.

Although many of the coins are very attractive in their own way, particularly the Perth mint coins.   

Welcome to the forum too!

Thank you.  :)

I've been stacking for 2 years and keep a running total including tax and shipping

I remember buying my first .999 silver round from cs silver for £30.30 and thought i had done well lol

I've followed the silver price all the way down buying mainly .925 proof in the early days and bullion for the last year and some graded stuff

I count everything in the price regardless of gifts or freebies (which are always nice)

My £/oz costs are £18.30 or  58p a gram and my target is 50p a gram

New to this as well John.

However as well as the per oz price, I have also been noting buy back prices.

Maybe it is irrelevant, I don't know, but the 10 oz Koalas , and even the 1oz Canadian Peregrines and Eagles have a better buy back rate than the maples, all well under £2 per oz difference.

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

New to this as well John.

However as well as the per oz price, I have also been noting buy back prices.

Maybe it is irrelevant, I don't know, but the 10 oz Koalas , and even the 1oz Canadian Peregrines and Eagles have a better buy back rate than the maples, all well under £2 per oz difference.

Hi BB

A good point, I have been considering my exit strategy for the future and know a local independent jeweler will give me very close to spot

should it come to that.  I also noticed on the new revamped STG site, in the info for the Maples at least, they give reference to what I presume is

a sister company Coininvest, although I haven't looked into it too much their buy back price looks to be higher than on STG.

The way I've been thinking is that an ounce of silver is an ounce of silver and as a stacker lowest cost took precedence. 

The buyback is higher than the Maples but if you deduct the current sell price from the current buy price the losses are quite similar, although

significantly lower with the 10 oz Koala oz for oz.

Koala          £1.25

Peregrine    £1.72

Eagles        £2.63 

Maples        £2.13

Losses based on purchase of single coins at current prices.

Hi BB

A good point, I have been considering my exit strategy for the future and know a local independent jeweler will give me very close to spot

should it come to that.  I also noticed on the new revamped STG site, in the info for the Maples at least, they give reference to what I presume is

a sister company Coininvest, although I haven't looked into it too much their buy back price looks to be higher than on STG.

The way I've been thinking is that an ounce of silver is an ounce of silver and as a stacker lowest cost took precedence. 

The buyback is higher than the Maples but if you deduct the current sell price from the current buy price the losses are quite similar, although

significantly lower with the 10 oz Koala oz for oz.

Koala          £1.25

Peregrine    £1.72

Eagles        £2.63 

Maples        £2.13

Losses based on purchase of single coins at current prices.

Selling on the forum would prob make these losses drop even further.

With my recent purchases I've put my average to £14,72 :)

That is still a very respectable average.

I am running at £18.81, but do have some pretty impressive coins. The key thing for me is the Silver to Gold ratio which is currently 138:1.

• 1 month later...

My average £/oz are:

Bullion Bars & Rounds = £15.96

Bullion Coins = £18.88

Proof Crown Coins = £32.10

Overall Average =  £17.88

With the drop in spot price my aim is to get my overall average down to £15.99 this year and next year £14.99 (depending on where spot price is in 2015)

My average £/oz are:

Bullion Bars & Rounds = £15.96

Bullion Coins = £18.88

Your bars and rounds have a very low average considering they are VAT rated. Good job.

Your bars and rounds have a very low average considering they are VAT rated. Good job.

Thanks, just to clarify the prices do include VAT and delivery charges

It's only because of Atkinsons Coins and their Mix & Match facility I've gone from 19 coins (took 4 years - 2010 to 2013) to 82 coins & bars in the last 5 months. The bars were bought in last 5 months hence why low average.

Coins include 2012 BU Britannia (in the "pretty" packaging), Koalas, NZ Taku, etc. along with more "common" coins such as Maples, Eagles, etc, so price would be less if I just stuck to Maples, Philharmonics, etc.

Hopefully buying from Silver-To-Go will now help increasing with the amount of ounces I have and reduce my £/oz price

Archived