• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

apmex

What are you thinking of getting that will make the import tax worthwhile?

Something i dont have that i like the look of and are hard to find in the UK. I dont pay any attention to cost per oz, it doesnt really interest me. I just fancy something a bit rare.

or as rare as my budget allows :)

Last time I ordered from Apmex the minimum order was over $1000 AND they did not accept credit cards unless they were issued by a USA bank so they clearly don't trust us Brits or want our business. Once the shipment arrived and I paid Fedex their fees and VAT it worked out marginally less than had I bought from Atkinsons ( but the coins I wanted were not all available }. If buying stuff available from STG or Atkinsons it isn't worth it in my experience.

Something i dont have that i like the look of and are hard to find in the UK. I dont pay any attention to cost per oz, it doesnt really interest me. I just fancy something a bit rare.

or as rare as my budget allows :)

Is it just single silver rounds / coins you look for at APMEX. If it is, maybe i can assist you if i have the rounds/coins you seek.

What sort of fee's does one pay on order from USA sites?

Custom clearance fee for Fedex for a personal import is 2.5% of the VAT & Duty payable.  Not sure if they have a minimum or maximum cap.

VAT on silver is 20%.  Duty is not chargeable on silver but may be chargeable on other items if imported at the same time.  

What  is the duty on Gold imported  and other fees via Apmex  from the USA.  Apmex couldn't tell me when I asked them a while back.

Duty and VAT on gold is nil as long as the correct commodity codes are used during clearance but don't bank on it.  Worst case you will have to raise a dispute with HMRC and claim back monies paid.  Never done it but probably quite a bit of hassle.  

I wouldn't mix gold and silver unless you are confident that Apmex and Fedex will use the correct commodity codes or if you're happy sorting out any issues yourself.

As above, Fedex fee is 2.5% of any Duty and VAT payable.

• 1 year later...
On 25 May 2015 at 11:35, morezone said:

Duty and VAT on gold is nil as long as the correct commodity codes are used during clearance but don't bank on it.  Worst case you will have to raise a dispute with HMRC and claim back monies paid.  Never done it but probably quite a bit of hassle.  

I wouldn't mix gold and silver unless you are confident that Apmex and Fedex will use the correct commodity codes or if you're happy sorting out any issues yourself.

As above, Fedex fee is 2.5% of any Duty and VAT payable.

What is the correct commodity code for importing a collectible gold coin? Do you need to ask APMEX to put this on the form, or will it get assigned based on the description? What a minefield...

2 minutes ago, richo said:

What is the correct commodity code for importing a collectible gold coin? Do you need to ask APMEX to put this on the form, or will it get assigned based on the description? What a minefield...

They will put it on the form as it is a requirement at their end.  How you are charged will depend on which code they use but I don't know which is the correct code.

16 minutes ago, morezone said:

They will put it on the form as it is a requirement at their end.  How you are charged will depend on which code they use but I don't know which is the correct code.

A few years back I bought some collectible gold coins from The Perth Mint. I had to raise a dispute on incorrect customs fees then. Makes you wonder whether the preferred default position is charge the customs first and then make it awkward to claim back.

I think contacting Apmex might just cause issues and delay shipping. My plan is to contact UPS once it's in transmit and provide full evidence that this should be duty exempt.

I wouldn't panic too much because if you are incorrectly charged duty and / or VAT on the gold coin you can write to Fedex / UPS giving specific details of your claim and they will reimburse you.

However you still have to pay Fedex / UPS handling & deferment fees ( plus VAT on fees ) as well as VAT on the shipping ( and insurance ) cost invoiced by AMEX.

Yes. I had a carefully worded email ready for Apmex with correct customs code, correct description, numismatic gold coins etc. But in the end just left it as thought it might just complicate it. I'll just deal with UPS and get a refund if wrong.

• Founder & Administrator

Interesting topic. Has anyone got any experience ordering just gold from APMEX to the UK? Did it go through customs correctly?

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

17 minutes ago, ChrisSilver said:

Interesting topic. Has anyone got any experience ordering just gold from APMEX to the UK? Did it go through customs correctly?

My package arrives Monday. I rang them (UPS) and it's not in the uk yet so they cannot confirm customs, but standard procedure IF labelled correctly, is that you have to sign a form to confirm it is a collectible gold coin meeting some basic criteria. I think it's minimum .900 parts gold and face value below purchase value etc. UPS confirmed to me there should be no duty if done correctly.

My point was that a couple of years back I imported from Australia and was incorrectly charged a few hundred pounds that I had to awkwardly claim back. 

Archived