• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hatton Garden safety deposit box vault burgled

Kman

Burglars have used heavy cutting equipment to break into safety deposit boxes in a vault in London's jewellery quarter.

There were reports that more than 300 boxes were opened by the raiders over the Easter weekend, although police would not confirm the number.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-32207974

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/apr/07/safe-deposit-boxes-raid-london-jewellery-district-hatton-garden

Apparently hundreds of thousands worth of stuff could of been stolen

No idea if they company is in anyway linked to HGM or if not, if they had any safety deposit boxes there. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

My Dad, many moons ago, used to do security for several businesses who had safety deposit vaults in Hatton Garden. There are lots of vaults in Hatton garden. Way more than the public would realise. I can remember going there about 35 odd years ago when I was a young teen doing a night shift with my Dad. First time I had ever seen vaults and their big metal doors. 

Most of the clientele at the time were Jewish diamond merchants and jewellers, storing their latest "inventory". 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3029066/Robbery-gang-use-heavy-cutting-equipment-break-vault-Hatton-Garden-jewellery-district-steal-300-safety-deposit-boxes.html

A bit more detail and photos in this DM article - but with the Mails obvious bias to it probaly being carried out by an ISIS, immigrant, benefit seeker, who has 21 kids to 30 dads, lives in a platinum clad council house, worth £million, who has never worked work and gets full housing benefit, council tax, and other filled emoney

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3029066/Robbery-gang-use-heavy-cutting-equipment-break-vault-Hatton-Garden-jewellery-district-steal-300-safety-deposit-boxes.html

A bit more detail and photos in this DM article - but with the Mails obvious bias to it probaly being carried out by an ISIS, immigrant, benefit seeker, who has 21 kids to 30 dads, lives in a platinum clad council house, worth £million, who has never worked work and gets full housing benefit, council tax, and other filled emoney

Did they update it from earlier? 

I didn't see all the graphics etc, much better article than the bbc, thanks. 

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Some strong alligations going on here, if it took Balls, was miliband involved? I thought they couldn't organise a p?;:s up in a brewery......::: is this how they have such spending plans, get a bit In the coffers then spend spend spend......... Is that why they wheeled Blair out as a smoke screen... Was he involved also.......: or am I getting wrong end of stick?

Will have to read the daily mail today, to find out. it will be either be them or unemployed homeless asylum seekers I'm sure

• Founder & Administrator

A lot of, if not the majority of storage boxes that are rented by private individuals have uninsured contents. As people wish for the contents to remain secret for whatever reason.

Id be worried if I had all my valuables in a single safety deposit box. If it's not the burglars breaking in it's the police raiding them, and then you have to prove to the police all of the items are obtained legally. Which could be hard if you have inherited something without any papers.

You would have to split your assets across several boxes in different locations.

I wonder if these people were after the contents of a specific box. Seems like a very planned job.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

• Founder & Administrator

That would surprise me. At the vaults near where I am insurance is compulsory. Even storage units usually require insurance. Whether the owners take out the minimum level is something else though.

It's also possible to get items covered under household insurance. But you need to declare all the items you wish to insure.

Taking a look at the first safety deposit box company that came up in google search.

Q. Does anyone insure my Safe Deposit Box against damage or theft? Can thieves rob a Safe Deposit Box?

A: Fortunately it is not often that this happens. Boxes are stored in concrete or steel vaults equipped with sophisticated alarms, locks, video cameras, motion sensors, heat detectors and other security devices. Our vaults also have very strict access procedures.

Source: http://www.finchleysafedepositvaultltd.co.uk/Faq

They don't answer the question of insurance. So obviously none is provided.

But if you look at this company for example: http://www.metrosafe.co.uk/faq/ they provide £10k insurance as standard on all safety deposit boxes. But obviously you would have to declare all the items. I am sure there are a huge amount of items which people do not want to declare for various reasons. 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

This is pretty cool, you have to hand it to the DM 

275AC47E00000578-3029066-image-a-3_14284

Wow! Thank god they had someone who was able to draw pictures for me, and write in big letters and little words in numbered boxes. I would never have worked out what this story was all about without it :blink:

Just wondering if HGM or Atkinsons will suddenly get a whole load of gold coins for sale. ;)

Unlikely - contents possibly diamonds and video tapes of Royals having you know what !

Did you see the movie ?

How can you defeat modern alarm systems nowadays ?

I would assume that these alarms were both sophisticated and monitored so heads will roll if it depended on a minimum wage security guy possibly asleep at the time ?

Wow! Thank god they had someone who was able to draw pictures for me, and write in big letters and little words in numbered boxes. I would never have worked out what this story was all about without it :blink:

Yeah, making things more interesting by adding pictures/graphics is terrible..  :wacko:

The word is, that a new alarm system was being installed at the time, but was not yet completed and switched on. Looks like inside info was used on this one.

I wonder if the company could be sued for losses in that case?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

They must be very proud of said graphic because its been used in every article on the robbery since, you will be delighted to know Sham that they have added a bit showing a man drilling through a wall, can it get any better?

I was a little in awe when I first read about it, but then saw interviews with customers who may have had their possessions stolen, at the end of the day the people that did it are just thieves.

Archived