• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Nazi silver ethics

lightjaw

Hi all, just wondered if anyone had any thoughts regarding this. About a year ago I started collecting 5 reichsmark silver coins, specifically ones from the Nazi era with the swastika on. They are .900 silver and a bit under a half oz each.

I just wanted a bit of history from that time in my collection, and they were something different. This recently made me wonder how other people would perceive me collecting these coins, if they would feel that perhaps its ethically wrong to do so. Also, are there any coins you wouldn't collect from a moral standpoint? Interested in your thoughts.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me it's both interesting/repulsive for the same reason - it's a symbol of the Third Reich.

Wouldn't judge anyone for owning them mind, just couldn't buy them myself if I've got one leg over each side of the psychological fence.

I wouldn't have anything to do with any Nazi material.

My Polish Grandfather and Great Uncle were forcibly conscripted into the Wermacht.

My Grandfather managed to escape and join the Polish army but became an alcoholic after the war and died at a young age.

Also my Grandmother was sent to Germany as a slave labourer.

I know it is history and you have to preserve artefacts from this era for future generations.

Personally I would not feel comfortable collecting or making money from these type of coins.

They exist, someone must own them. Everything historical should be preserved so that future generations can know and remember.

The worst thing that can happen is for all true records of these eras to cease to exist so that history can be re-written and warped by those vested interests who would deny the truth.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Interesting. This brings another issue up for me after thinking about it. Do we care where our silver comes from? By that I mean, is it sourced in an ethical way? Does it come from areas or the world that are in conflict? I am thinking here of blood diamonds or sweat shops. By stacking all silver no matter where it comes from or its history are we in fact tacitly supporting bad regimes in the world. Do we have a moral duty to only buy silver that was produced in a non exploitative way?

I don't collect them personally but I would have absolutely no problem with them, if I came across one or two anywhere  I'd put a couple into my collection.Our British history is not whiter than white and neither are most countries.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

I don't think that's possible LJ, I doubt there is a concrete "responsible sourcing" statement from most mints.

It's my view that the silver will be there whether I buy it or not.

I'm sure those people that collect very old coins, sovereigns included, are unaware of the often horrendous conditions back then.

Stacker since 2013

It is impossible to live your life in a ethical way.

Judging by how busy places like Primark are,nobody seems to care that most of the garments in their shops were probably made by children.

The other side of the argument is that it helps alleviate poverty in third world countries even though it looks highly exploitative to someone from the west.

Interesting topic LJ. I've looked at these coins myself as I love history and old coins but I just can't bring to buy any. When I get an old coin I like to hold it and wonder who else has held it and where has it been? With nazi coins they come from an era of pure hatred and misery. Personally I wouldn't want to wonder where they have been and who else has held them.

• Founder & Administrator

I don't think it is ethically wrong, people can collect what they want to. It's not like your collecting Nazi memorabilia, your just adding a few different coins to your collection.

However, I personally wouldn't want any items with a physical connection to the Nazis in my home, imagine the sort of people that have previously owned those, and held them in their hands like Lea79 said above. Having these sorts of items in my home would personally be unsettling for me. And I certainly believe it wouldn't create and good luck in my life. I wouldn't want to own any items which were once owned by someone who quite possibly was not a very good person.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I don't see a problem with owning historical silver of any kind, it is just a token of the past after all.

Yes the swastika is now associated with some horrendous acts, but don't forget it was not invented by the Nazis. It is an anchient symbol with at least 5000 years history. It is still a sacred symbol in Hinduism and some other religions. The word swastika comes from the Sanskrit svastika, which means “good fortune” or “well-being."

Remembering the recent atrocities connected to the symbol and not remembering its rich and peaceful past is a mistake. Having these coins in your collection might be an opportunity to put it back into context - at least for you, and for the people who might ask you about the cions.

As for owning a bit of old Nazi memorabilia, if you want to label it that. Well, isn't that entirely dependent on ones intention? I think it would be a bit creepy to actively collect Nazi stuff, but having it as part of a larger collection (As with silver) shows an entirely different intention, which I don't think is a problem.

• Founder & Administrator

Yes the swastika is now associated with some horrendous acts, but don't forget it was not invented by the Nazis. It is an anchient symbol with at least 5000 years history. It is still a sacred symbol in Hinduism and some other religions.

It's slightly different, and rotated.

I don't wish to upload an image to show, as I don't want any on the forum. But anyone who wants to see can google it.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Certainly polarises opinion lightjaw, whatever your take on the morality of the issue there is going to be a reduction in the size of any resale market, demand still may be high of course, just less people interested. May make a quick sale difficult. For me its not who the previous owner may have been, I don't believe physical objects themselves can be tainted, its more what the coin and its design represents, melt it down and turn it into a generic round then no problem. Strange as well how time dilutes these moral questions, a stash of silver coins owned by a notorious Roman emperor for instance.

I think it's a bit irrelevant considering what the swastika used to be in this context, in this context it's being used as the symbol of the Government on the currency of Nazi Germany. It's the Nazi Germany aspect rather than the fact it has a swastika on it which personally is what makes them 'iffy'.

Coins are coins. Whatever you may think of Nazi Germany, people still needed to buy things, money had to be produced and like everything else it bore the marks of the regime. The coins are a relic of their time, and should rightfully be preserved somewhere. There is nothing inherently wrong with collecting them or admiring the artistry of the coin.

I'm not a fan of the Nazis in any way, but even I can admit the SS had some really sharp-looking uniforms.

Coins are coins. Whatever you may think of Nazi Germany, people still needed to buy things, money had to be produced and like everything else it bore the marks of the regime. The coins are a relic of their time, and should rightfully be preserved somewhere. There is nothing inherently wrong with collecting them or admiring the artistry of the coin.

I'm not a fan of the Nazis in any way, but even I can admit the SS had some really sharp-looking uniforms.

Would you have a problem with owning an Islamic State Gold coin if it was artistically done?

German uniforms in general - IMO - were pretty sharp, certainly compared to our BD. You can thank Hugo Boss for that one!

Would you have a problem with owning an Islamic State Gold coin if it was artistically done?

Hmm an interesting point. I think time is a factor in this, for me at least. The Nazis dont exist, they are part of history now, so i personally dont have a problem with owning just a coin with their symbols on, as i dont believe in their ideology and am not a nazi memorabilia collector. As for IS,  this just feels "too soon" for me. I guess i would have a problem with someone buying a coin minted by them now, but i wouldnt have a problem with someone in 80 years owning one, if that makes sense.

I would not buy an Islamic state coin as one could not tell where it was sourced from as it is to soon and IS exists not like the Nazi's.I do not wish to fund IS first hand or second hand  by being part of a market for them. 

when my dad gave me his collection he also gave me a load of german medals and insignia which my uncle brought back from when he was fighting in ww2 , ive also got a  commerative coin with hitler on it (not silver) which he brought back as well .

my dad told me that my uncle gave him loads of stuff when he came back including helmets , daggers , ammo pouches even officers swords, but when my dad joined the army his younger brother nicked it and sold it all (they fell out for years over it)

i dont collect this sort of stuff and wont be buying any myself but will keep what he gave me , but while trying to research a few of the bits there seem to be loads of fakes about even of the riechsmark coins so be wary if you are going to purchase any

Archived