• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

I have a £1000 help me spend it!!!

CurryMuncher69

Long story short, I have a £1000 To spend on silver to go, what coins shall I buy? 

I am thinking 

10 Britannia's

26 Maple Leafs

and 50 half oz great White Coins

Comes to 1000.10 pence Including delivery. 

Now what will you guys buy personally I think the great white shark coins will be a better seller then the falcons further down the road, however I will purchase them next month.

Or shall I just go ahead and get 3 tubes of maple leafs as they are on offer, and work out £140 per 10 coins. 

• Founder & Administrator

Personally I think the white shark coins are quite ugly. I think the mintage is only 200k? But will there really be a big demand from collectors down the road? I am unsure. I was going to buy some but decided against it after speaking with some other guys.

I'd buy a couple of 10oz kooks & lunars, and 1 of each 1oz coin for my collector if I didn't have 1 of each. If you are only looking to invest and not collect then obviously no need to.

The falcon coins will probably be a good investment. I decide against any because I don't like the spots, but might of been a bad investment decision. My stack is also a collection though, so I choose beautiful pieces of silver that I like, and also that are semi numismatic, i.e. mainly Perth Mint stuff.

Maples are good if you want some low cost bullion, they seem to have a special at the moment. 

You should also consider purchasing from elsewhere. Silver-to-go might not necessarily be the cheapest, and their choice is limited.

It depends what you are after. Choose what feels like a good investment to you, and what you like.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Personally I think the white shark coins are quite ugly. I think the mintage is only 200k? But will there really be a big demand from collectors down the road? I am unsure. I was going to buy some but decided against it after speaking with some other guys.

I'd buy a couple of 10oz kooks & lunars, and 1 of each 1oz coin for my collector if I didn't have 1 of each. If you are only looking to invest and not collect then obviously no need to.

The falcon coins will probably be a good investment. I decide against any because I don't like the spots, but might of been a bad investment decision. My stack is also a collection though, so I choose beautiful pieces of silver that I like, and also that are semi numismatic, i.e. mainly Perth Mint stuff.

Maples are good if you want some low cost bullion, they seem to have a special at the moment. 

You should also consider purchasing from elsewhere. Silver-to-go might not necessarily be the cheapest, and their choice is limited.

It depends what you are after. Choose what feels like a good investment to you, and what you like.

I agreed with everything you said however I made a post on another thread and I stated I wish there was a great white shark coin, and look what the perth mint have released. I love shark design and it appeals to me however hate everything else about the coin. Its matt finish, looks grey does not look valuable at all. I am conflicted on whether to buy or not.

What other websites do you think are cheaper then care to link them? 

I can get 1 kookabura, 1 Lunar Horse 10 oz coins, with 41 coins of the Britannia's. for £940 inc delivery, for 60 oz.

100 Half oz Great white shark coins will cost me £937 inc delivery, meaning I will get 10 oz less, for a few quid difference.  

http:/www.gold.de compares prices for some of the dealers in Germany (note they don't all ship to UK)

Then use a currency broker like http://currencyfair.com to work our the actual cost in GBP.

Also I have bought quite a bit of silver from http://www.libertysilver.ee in Estonia

Recently also purchased from Geiger Edelmetalle in Germany, but that was only because they had the 10oz koala that I was after.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

In my opinion Brintannias aren't worth the premiums. The mint quality is poor. Only worth buying for the no Capital Gains Tax, and then most stackers won't need this as you can make something like £10600 profit per year before having to pay any capital gains.

When you order from liberty silver you have to arrange for a courior to collect the order. It's pretty simple if using their preferred partner and pretty easy. Shipping is a bit expensive, you can check on their site for delivery rates.

Like I said, work out the exact cost using a currency broker. I know a few people on here use currencyfair, which I have recently started using. Their exchange rates are really good, as they match buyers and sellers. Their fee is only 3€ per transaction.

Silver to go's delivery charge starts at only £12 so for small orders it is quite a good place to buy from. If your buying £1k worth at once though you might be able to find a better place. Just do your homework to get the best deal around.

Discounts / Offers

I have checked, and infact Silver to Go is the cheapest, well atleast for me

I also read chris, that with capital gain tax, you can spread it among people in your household/family members. 

So In my situation If I get to a point where my stack is worth more then 10 k selling value, I can spread it out for e.g When the tax man asks why I did not declare the Gain, I can say I sold some of my fathers silver, mothers silver brothers silver e.t.c 

So potentially I do not have to report any gains unless I make around 80k. (8 people in my family) 

Another thing is that I actually like the Britannia coins, I think they are one of the best looking, love the proof like finish, and my plan is to sell once silver gets to a certain level, and that CGT free will come in handy. 

I have less then 100 oz however After I pass that small milestone I created for myself I will purchase majority of my silver in form of Britannia's with the occasional Euro goverment minted coin/ Private minted bars. 

I am a silver investor, not a collector, however will purchase the occasional tube of a coin that I find nice, and the price is right 

for e.g the falcons, the great white shark coins. Lunar horse 10 oz coins e.t.c 

If you like them. Buy them. :)

I didn't notice any proof like finish on the 2013 Britannia I have. Quite the opposite.

Discounts / Offers

I recently bought some 2014 Britannias and the finish is really impressive. I also read prior to purchasing that the 2013 batch were pretty awful. Maybe the Royal Mint listened and actually made some improvements after that. I would definitely get more 2014s when I have some spare cash.

If you like them. Buy them. :)

I didn't notice any proof like finish on the 2013 Britannia I have. Quite the opposite.

I have seen the videos, and the coin seems very reflective and shiny, hence why I said proof like finish. I only seen a few proof coins and all I see is a shinier coin. 

I also read that 2013 was a horrible year for the coins, well you live and you learn, it looks like they got there act together. 

I recently bought some 2014 Britannias and the finish is really impressive. I also read prior to purchasing that the 2013 batch were pretty awful. Maybe the Royal Mint listened and actually made some improvements after that. I would definitely get more 2014s when I have some spare cash.

I bought a 2014 in a recent order as in the photos it looked better than the 2013, so I wanted to see if it was true.

I hope it's nice, the coin has the potential to be a nice coin if minted nicely. We will see.

Discounts / Offers

I hope it is up to (or exceeding) your expectations - otherwise I look like a bit of a prat - but as noted elsewhere this is all new for me, and I was more impressed than expected with the Britannia; I only bought them as bullion and was genuinely surprised that I quickly came to regard it as quite an attractive piece in it's own right. I can see the attraction of coin collecting. 

Looking for something different?

Go American - The first 'America the Beautiful' coin for 2014 has been released. 5 oz of pure artwork and Waltonesque memorabilia.

Number 21 in an eventual series of 56.

With the exception of the coins for 2011 mintages are low ( 20k to 35k) and with the 'P' variant being less. Uptake in the secondary market is high, and is a coin that meets the pricing point of a bullion coin yet is already commanding prices that are akin to semi numismatic/collectible coins

£1000 will pick you up a whopping 50oz tube (or more accurately a pot!)  and gives you a good bit of change for some other indulgences  

post-23-0-35871700-1396978839_thumb.jpg

Pete, your math is incorrect. They are £113.52 each on silver to go. And they are 5oz each. So 50oz would cost £1135.20.

Discounts / Offers

Evening Chris - Was the email to 'Pete' directed at my post?  - Dont know who Pete is???? 

I believe I am the only one who has raised the matter of 5 oz coins

If my assumption is right can you refer to the link below and the source of my Math(s)

http://www.apmex.com/product/80979/2014-5-oz-silver-atb-great-smoky-mountains-national-park-tn

As you are growing your stack make a decision based on building a house.

Get your foundations rock solid so I would buy where you are getting the best value i.e. most silver for the cost.

That means sticking to Maples, Eagles and Philharmonics.

Once you have a base built of a few tubes of silver then start getting a bit more adventurous.

Add some 5 oz and 10 oz coins for the novelty then spread out and include Britannias, Kooks, Pandas and anything else that is priced to what you can afford.

Buying semi-numismatic is perhaps for another time but having said that always look for bargains.

I like to check Apmex prices and when the same coin looks cheaper from CoinInvest or Silver-to-Go, Aurinum then consider buying it as Apmex prices are without tax and based on demand. A higher price suggests ( but does not mean ) there is more upside.

The one thing to keep at the back of your mind is that not so long ago silver was more than twice the price it is right now and if you believe it will return to this level then it really doesn't matter what you buy but you will be able to sell Maples, Brits and the rest for twice what you paid.

Have you tried Atkinsons The Jewellers? They not bad.

Not bad for many things but Silver-to-go is significantly cheaper ( more metal ) on a £1000 purchase in silver.

Always do your homework and work out your total cost before making a purchasing decision.

Archived