• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

trying to contact ebay member

silverroller

Hi all,

I have just joined the forum , which I must say is a great site. I'm trying to contact a eBay member dios111 ,I see from some of the topic s he has been mentioned on here. I'm trying to buy some coins off him that on eBay but he want to do the deal outside eBay ,I'm just trying to get his email.

Cheers.

All sounds a bit dodgy to me. An ebay member should never ask you to do a deal outside ebay. I would be concerned about such a request, and personally I would not deal with him/her. You could use the ebay message system and ask directly for the email address of course. However it was me I would be more likely to report the memeber for breaking the rules.

Just my thoughts on the "outside ebay" theme, something I've given much thought.

An ebay member is a person like any "thesilverforum" member.

And it's almost inevitable there will be people who are ebay members and members of this forum concurrently, as well as perhaps silver stackers (Australia) etc.

So should we say all of us are people who in common want to get a good deal, make and / or save a quid and do so with as much safety and integrity as possible?

I started on ebay but soon looked for other alternatives as silver quickly became an obsession with me.

I'll give my reasons but before doing so emphasise ebay has been a very convenient and safe way to buy and sell bullion for me.

PayPal also proved incredibly helpful to me when I was scammed by a Canadian ebay buyer.

Were it not for PayPal I would have lost AUS $1,200.00 cold to one a***hole from Canada!

Not only that but I would have got negative feedback were it not for PayPal because the buyer claimed I didn't send the goods. A very sobering thought.

Nobody could have been more helpful than PayPal were, who anecdotally were based in Ireland ... great people I assure you.

So! Buying and selling bullion via ebay, remembering these are my thoughts and my thoughts only.

As a buyer:

For somebody wanting to make the occasional purchase, I honestly think ebay is the way to go.

More often than not you will source the exact item you're chasing at a reasonable price, and you're protected by all kinds of mechanisms within ebay.

So really, for the occasional buyer in my view, it's a hands down winner. No need to set up an account with a retailer, mint etc.

As a seller:

I think ebay is probably ideal for selling everything on the planet except bullion!

As a flipper you have no almost hope of making a profit via ebay.

Selling fees, listing fees and newly introduced fees on can you believe your postage charges, ebay is at "game over" point for me.

Example:

Say I have an item with a retail value of $100.00

We're just using numbers here remember, so currency is a side issue.

I list the item and pay a dollar or two for listing fees.

The item sells.

Most buyers seem to know how far to bid, suggesting they monitor retail prices and bid no higher.

So your item sells for retail, or a couple of dollars higher.

Fees then account for say 10% of the end price.

So now the item you sold for $100.00 has netted you $90.00

Ebay buyers expect free postage so you are up for say $5.00 in postage costs.

$85.00!

And then there's the trip to the post office and so it goes!

You've LOST 15% or more!

Am I getting my point across?

So ... why do bullion sellers try to sell outside ebay? ok next question.

In summary it's not difficult to see why forums such as this, silverstackers, sthgippsland etc will succeed!

And further more (unless I've missed something) unlike ebay, I don't think forums are obliged to provide tax departments with information about members, but that may not be correct.

So before judging ebay sellers too severely ... please ponder.

Footnote: some ebay sellers "might" be making a dollar?

You'll see on ebay Australia anyway, items such as Perth Mint 10 oz silver bars (for example) listed at well above retail. Search for yourself and you'll see what I mean.

My comment?

To break even as an ebay seller you must sell at 10% to 20% above retail.

One well known and very good Australian retailer has a huge number of sales on ebay.

Compare their ebay prices with their website prices and this will become blatantly obvious.

It obviously didn't take them long to discover pretty much as I've just outlined.

Why sell to break even, or even LOSE? Be truthful ... would you???

And if someone buys a Perth Mint bar at $50.00 or more above retail then who is at fault?

My answer ... nobody!

A seller cannot force you to buy, and a buyer does not have to buy.

A bit cold and insensitive?

Think it over and put yourself in any of these positions.

Remember too, I'm only expressing my thoughts which are based in my own experiences.

This does not make me right or wrong.

But I would be interested to hear your well researched, objectively measured thoughts :)

• Founder & Administrator

Not sure why some people are against a deal off eBay. Paying directly with PayPal and not through eBay still offers you the same protection (though maybe limited to a certain amount, not sure) but saves you 10% on fees. Seems a good option to me.

I hope you find his contact details silverroller

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Hi all,

I have just joined the forum , which I must say is a great site. I'm trying to contact a eBay member dios111 ,I see from some of the topic s he has been mentioned on here. I'm trying to buy some coins off him that on eBay but he want to do the deal outside eBay ,I'm just trying to get his email.

Cheers.

Hi Silverroller - I have dealt with Friedhelm (Dios111) a number of times and have had no issue with him 

I have sent him an email this morning just to confirm that he is OK for me to give his email address out to you/others - i'll get back to you ASAP

On a foot note to all those that are interest in Elephants.  I have from my own experience been able to get hold of the older dates/low mintages via Friedhelm and I have always found him willing to do a deal. Similarly at the end of last year he was able to do a very good price on the 2004-2014 anniversary set 

Hi Silverroller - I have dealt with Friedhelm (Dios111) a number of times and have had no issue with him

I have sent him an email this morning just to confirm that he is OK for me to give his email address out to you/others - i'll get back to you ASAP

On a foot note to all those that are interest in Elephants. I have from my own experience been able to get hold of the older dates/low mintages via Friedhelm and I have always found him willing to do a deal. Similarly at the end of last year he was able to do a very good price on the 2004-2014 anniversary set

Maybe Friedhelm is Danny's contact for the elephants then.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Just my thoughts on the "outside ebay" theme, something I've given much thought.

An ebay member is a person like any "thesilverforum" member.

And it's almost inevitable there will be people who are ebay members and members of this forum concurrently, as well as perhaps silver stackers (Australia) etc.

So should we say all of us are people who in common want to get a good deal, make and / or save a quid and do so with as much safety and integrity as possible?

I started on ebay but soon looked for other alternatives as silver quickly became an obsession with me.

I'll give my reasons but before doing so emphasise ebay has been a very convenient and safe way to buy and sell bullion for me.

PayPal also proved incredibly helpful to me when I was scammed by a Canadian ebay buyer.

Were it not for PayPal I would have lost AUS $1,200.00 cold to one a***hole from Canada!

Not only that but I would have got negative feedback were it not for PayPal because the buyer claimed I didn't send the goods. A very sobering thought.

Nobody could have been more helpful than PayPal were, who anecdotally were based in Ireland ... great people I assure you.

So! Buying and selling bullion via ebay, remembering these are my thoughts and my thoughts only.

As a buyer:

For somebody wanting to make the occasional purchase, I honestly think ebay is the way to go.

More often than not you will source the exact item you're chasing at a reasonable price, and you're protected by all kinds of mechanisms within ebay.

So really, for the occasional buyer in my view, it's a hands down winner. No need to set up an account with a retailer, mint etc.

As a seller:

I think ebay is probably ideal for selling everything on the planet except bullion!

As a flipper you have no almost hope of making a profit via ebay.

Selling fees, listing fees and newly introduced fees on can you believe your postage charges, ebay is at "game over" point for me.

Example:

Say I have an item with a retail value of $100.00

We're just using numbers here remember, so currency is a side issue.

I list the item and pay a dollar or two for listing fees.

The item sells.

Most buyers seem to know how far to bid, suggesting they monitor retail prices and bid no higher.

So your item sells for retail, or a couple of dollars higher.

Fees then account for say 10% of the end price.

So now the item you sold for $100.00 has netted you $90.00

Ebay buyers expect free postage so you are up for say $5.00 in postage costs.

$85.00!

And then there's the trip to the post office and so it goes!

You've LOST 15% or more!

Am I getting my point across?

So ... why do bullion sellers try to sell outside ebay? ok next question.

In summary it's not difficult to see why forums such as this, silverstackers, sthgippsland etc will succeed!

And further more (unless I've missed something) unlike ebay, I don't think forums are obliged to provide tax departments with information about members, but that may not be correct.

So before judging ebay sellers too severely ... please ponder.

Footnote: some ebay sellers "might" be making a dollar?

You'll see on ebay Australia anyway, items such as Perth Mint 10 oz silver bars (for example) listed at well above retail. Search for yourself and you'll see what I mean.

My comment?

To break even as an ebay seller you must sell at 10% to 20% above retail.

One well known and very good Australian retailer has a huge number of sales on ebay.

Compare their ebay prices with their website prices and this will become blatantly obvious.

It obviously didn't take them long to discover pretty much as I've just outlined.

Why sell to break even, or even LOSE? Be truthful ... would you???

And if someone buys a Perth Mint bar at $50.00 or more above retail then who is at fault?

My answer ... nobody!

A seller cannot force you to buy, and a buyer does not have to buy.

A bit cold and insensitive?

Think it over and put yourself in any of these positions.

Remember too, I'm only expressing my thoughts which are based in my own experiences.

This does not make me right or wrong.

But I would be interested to hear your well researched, objectively measured thoughts :)

Might I add but the way, it IS against ebay rules to make contact / trade outside of ebay, I assume when using the ebay message system to do so.

By this I'm sure it's meant where ebay has been the original meeting point. And fair enough.

So I wouldn't encourage anyone to break such a rule.

But can ebay prevent people from dealing further with each other after a transaction has been completed?

I purchased several items from ebay members who included their business cards with their consignments. And I see they are all still trading on ebay.

Some of this depends on who lurks upon you ... and sooner or later you WILL realise this happens.

You get into trouble yourself with ebay when a lurker, who is also probably someone that doesn't like you dobs you in!

Maybe Friedhelm is Danny's contact for the elephants then.

Morning Chris - If you checkout dios111 web page you can see that most if not all of the dates are available. Thus if you contact him directly for a bulk buy of all 11 (or 11 +1 privy) this is going to give you a fair discount. As stated above, I find Friedhelm to be fair minded and thus passes on the best part of the PayPal and Ebay savings to you.

From what I can gather even the older dated coins are still available from the Bavarian Mint; it is simply them controlling the flow out into the market.

I have not spoken via email with Friedhelm for a few months, but the last time we spoke he said that he was looking to launch his own webage/ online company and in order to be more transparent in what he could offer outside the constraints of online auctions

Morning Chris - If you checkout dios111 web page you can see that most if not all of the dates are available. Thus if you contact him directly for a bulk buy of all 11 (or 11 +1 privy) this is going to give you a fair discount. As stated above, I find Friedhelm to be fair minded and thus passes on the best part of the PayPal and Ebay savings to you.

From what I can gather even the older dated coins are still available from the Bavarian Mint; it is simply them controlling the flow out into the market.

I have not spoken via email with Friedhelm for a few months, but the last time we spoke he said that he was looking to launch his own webage/ online company and in order to be more transparent in what he could offer outside the constraints of online auctions

There are 2 privy's. 2013 and 2014 I think. The 2014 being quite expensive.

From the bullion coins I have the 2013, 2014 elephants. And the 2013 privy.

So I might have to give Friedhelm a shout in a few months and see what price he can do for some of the previous elephants. Or might decide against collecting them if I can't get over the milk spot issue.

Discounts / Offers

Hi

I have dealt with Friedhelm on numerous occasions and find him to be very good both on and off eBay.

We all want to save a bob or two and this how we do it by cutting the middle man out (eBay!!). Is this how black markets start!!

Yes you are also still protected to a certain degree if you pay via Paypal.

Highly recommended.

There are coin sellers that post many items daily on eBay which is a tremendous platform for business.

Let's not forget what you get for the fees -

Simple good looking listing instantly

Very high product visibility

Fast indexing & searching for buyers

Ease of selling process

PayPal and seller protection

Full history

etc.

Agreed it will cost you about 15% but that's how it is.

Now the solution found by traders is to list on eBay AND have their own website for direct sales.

One example is Aurinum who started and continues to sell on eBay with lots of coins added daily and an eBay shop.

It is against eBay policy to use thier platform and avoid paying fees by selling outside of eBay.

That has to be honoured by buyers and sellers.

The problem facing a seller with their own website is that will take time, cost money and MAY NOT FIND BUYERS - that is extremely important and that is where eBay is superb. My suggestion for any dealer listing on eBay wishing to sell directly to their customers is to enclose an email address or link to their own website when shipping the goods and forget trying to sneek contact details in eBay messaging.

There could be (?? needs confirmation ) another block in the system that identifies an eBay seller trying to send a PayPal invoice to a buyer outside eBay and prevents the transaction.

You hit the nail on the head Pete, I started my business on eBay and continue to use it today. You just can't beat them for advertising, as with each sale I put a card in linking my site.

Most my sales are through eBay, hopefully I can move more towards my site, but for now it works.

Interesting reading this thread. I agree with what is being said about fees and stuff. I guess if you are happy to go outside ebay then no harm done - they make enough money already, and keeping costs down is important. I wouldn't do it without a personal recommendation though.

And for the record, if you wan to send your address to an ebay member do it like this:

Myname at myprovider dot com

as in Myname@Myprovider.com

Easy! :)

And for the record, if you wan to send your address to an ebay member do it like this:

Myname at myprovider dot com

as in Myname@Myprovider.com

Easy! :)

Nope, unfortunately not. All providers are blocked, the system understands most attempts and blocks them.

You can test it just by writing "yahoo" in a message, instant block.

I agree with dealing outside eBay, I do it all the time.

Stacker since 2013

All is good I got hold dios111. Have bought the coins,and they already have been despatched. I look forward to doing more business with him.

Im sure I read somewhere on this forum about ebid.net for a one off fee you get free listing and no selling fee . Seems to be a winner for the stacker to sell and buy. For us all on the forum to have are own online shop.

Nope, unfortunately not. All providers are blocked, the system understands most attempts and blocks them.

You can test it just by writing "yahoo" in a message, instant block.

I agree with dealing outside eBay, I do it all the time.

I did find away round it.

In one of my most popular listings I typed this in the description.

'If you would like to see something not in my listings and want me to add them please contact me at name@domain.com.'

no rules broken. :)

In an earlier thread we concluded that eBid is cheap to free BUT it doesn't attract sufficient buyers yet as it is a decade behind eBay.

If anyone wishes to share dios111 direct contact address please do so as some of us might be interested.

Nothing secret here just saving more posts.

If anyone wishes to share dios111 direct contact address please do so as some of us might be interested.

I'm not sure it is appropriate to give out somebody's personal email address without their consent on each occasion.

If anybody is seriously interested in purchasing from Friedhelm, one of us will contact him and check it's ok to give his address out to them.

That's my opinion anyway.

Stacker since 2013

I'm not sure it is appropriate to give out somebody's personal email address without their consent on each occasion.

If anybody is seriously interested in purchasing from Friedhelm, one of us will contact him and check it's ok to give his address out to them.

That's my opinion anyway.

Sorry - I did not mean his personal email address as I had assumed he had a business email address and that's what I meant.

No apology necessary Pete.

It's just him and his son, no "business" as far as I know. I know he is planning a website, but not yet.

This was why I was a little reticent to give it out willy nilly.

D

Stacker since 2013

Just a thought !

Why not invite dios to join the forum and maybe he would like to offer coins for sale in the appropriate section.

Already have Pete, a couple of days after we went live.

Unfortunately he also works so doesn't really have the time.

D

Stacker since 2013

Already have Pete, a couple of days after we went live.

Unfortunately he also works so doesn't really have the time.

D

The old saying rings true - "You can take a horse to water .... "

Archived