• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2015 britannia matte background

HawkHybrid

for those interested.

the new 2015 britannia 1oz silver have a grainy looking matte

design in the background, for both sides of the coin, instead of

the shiny smooth that you would get on the 2014 horse privy.

(the pictures shows it on one side only)

it's now a doddle to differentiate their proofs from their bullion.

I'm not impressed that rm didn't make this clear before I

ordered as I obviously prefer the older smooth surface.

it's not bad enough for me to go through the hassle of trying to

return them(it's not stg's fault).

I hear that the new 2015 10oz koala's have gone matte too,

is there a trend starting?

HH

I actually prefer this years to the last couple of years coins, which I thought were awful; completely shiny surfaces with barely any detail. These coins need contrast, cf perth coins and earlier Brits.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

As others have mentioned previously the softer 999 Britannias are prone to easy marking and scratches.

Because they are not supplied in caps they can show fine scratches so easily and probably there were so many complaints over the last couple of years the RM decided to make them matte.

As a bullion coin I think this was a smart move as it hides all sorts of horrors.

Pity they didn't stick to the 958 alloy which was much harder and nothing looks better than a blemish free mirrored silver surface.

from what I read, 5th portrait won't be on

bullion until 2016, so all 2015 bullion should

have the 4th portrait.

HH

I didn't know that, even so this will be the only forth portrait Britannia with this finish, still makes unique in my book.

'On 2nd March, 2015, The Royal Mint unveiled a new effigy of the Queen designed by Royal Mint engraver Jody Clark. Coins made from this date onwards feature the fifth portrait on the obverse.

Fifth Portrait

The Royal Mint are not releasing bullion products with the fifth portrait on until the 2016 coinage is released. As the 2015 proof Britannias are not released until later in the year, we suspect they will feature the new, fifth portrait.

Unfortunately The Royal Mint are yet to release an image of the Britannia with the new Jody Clark fifth portrait. We will update this page once one has become available.'

from http://24carat.co.uk/

HH

Archived