• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Somalian elephants

ChrisSilver

• Founder & Administrator

What is everyone's view on these coins? The older years seem to have quite a premium.

I didn't buy any 2013 when I had the chance, decided against it at the time as I didn't want money going to the corrupt Government of Somalia.

The coin is actually minted in Germany I believe, and I have no idea if it's even endorsed by the Somalian Government mint in anyway. Now I am pretty sure that the profits from the sales or these coins are being made by this German company and not the government of Somalia.

Anyway, the coins themselves are quite beautiful and I wouldn't mind starting to collect a set.

What do you think of these coins? And does anyone know the mintages?

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I love my 2014, they are a lovely coin.

It was something to do with an ex-minister of Somalia signing off on the coin, that allowed the Germans to make it. That's what I read from memory.

I'd love a run of these but the earlier years are quite expensive due to the 5k mintage. Think it started in 2004.

Like I said, lovely coin though.

Mintages are here - http://worldsilverbullion.weebly.com/african-elephant.html

D

Stacker since 2013

That's for the link Danny :)

Yea I agree Helping Hands, but the mintage is only 130k for the 2913, pretty low. I am regretting not buying a tube last year when I was going to.

There is no mintage for 2014 yet, so what's the story here, is it mint on demand until they confirm the amount minted at the end of the year? If so, this year mintage might be very high.

I think I will have to get a 2014, though it doesn't look like the most beautiful. And then when I have money maybe start buying back years, or buy a 2013 soon if I can find one for a good price.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Looking at the prices of older years, I will have to leave for a while. Some of them are very expensive, and I need to save for my expensive 2007 koala when I find it.

I think I am turning into Danny, and buying expensive date runs. :D Oh help me! This hobby is going to get expensive!

Discounts / Offers

I think I am turning into Danny, and buying expensive date runs. :D Oh help me! This hobby is going to get expensive!

You know you want to. Ha ha.

The annoying thing is that I know somebody selling a date run up to 2014. Temptation is high, as is the price.

Stacker since 2013

You know you want to. Ha ha.

The annoying thing is that I know somebody selling a date run up to 2014. Temptation is high, as is the price.

Really? What's his price?

Discounts / Offers

He'll also do a non-set run for about £550.

This is very tempting. However I don't really have spare cash at the moment for a personal collection. If I did I would definitely take that offer up if it was offered to me.

I think a tube of the current year would be a better investment. Depending on what the mintage turns out to be, could increase a potential 25% in a years time.

Discounts / Offers

Hi

My take on these coins is they  are lovely, I have 8 in total 3 2013 and 5 2014.

They do however carry a hefty premium, not sure I will be collecting them though just as they come up at a decent price.

Keith

Yes, it has steadily been going up over the years.

I think he'd take £500 from me too if I was cheeky!!!

Constant temptation.

I would happily pay £500 for a full date run 2004-2014 if it was also including delivery. If your willing to make him an offer for me please send me a PM dan. But I don't want to steal a potential deal for you for the future, so completely understand it you don't want to.

Discounts / Offers

I would happily pay £500 for a full date run 2004-2014 if it was also including delivery. If your willing to make him an offer for me please send me a PM dan. But I don't want to steal a potential deal for you for the future, so completely understand it you don't want to.

Have emailed him to find out his best price, I think he may have more than one set.

He loves the elephant!!!

Stacker since 2013

Have emailed him to find out his best price, I think he may have more than one set.

He loves the elephant!!!

Awesome Danny. Thanks :)

Discounts / Offers

I love the Somali elephant coins. I have several, but sadly all milk spotted to some degree. Is this s a problem with all of these coins, or is it just the 2013 run?

Ah this is disappointing news. I didn't realize they suffered from milk spotting as well.

Discounts / Offers

Archived