• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Swapping gold for silver???

johnno

I have a 1977 kruggerand 1oz. I'm in two minds whether to keep hold of it or swap it for silver 1oz coins.

How do I work out the gold the silver ratio and what ratio would you recommend to swap at

Thanks

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0100 using Tapatalk

Hi Johno, we have had a similar post a week or two ago,and at the end of the day it is what two willing parties are able to thrash out between them.

For example I'm chasing 2oz lunar 1 silver proofs at the moment.I'd swap one of my krugers for 4x 2oz coins 8ozs in total.

Run of the mill bullion 1ozers I'd want 55ozs for 1 kruger So you get the idea some big differences.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

I have a 1977 kruggerand 1oz. I'm in two minds whether to keep hold of it or swap it for silver 1oz coins.

How do I work out the gold the silver ratio and what ratio would you recommend to swap at

Thanks

Johno to work out the GSR you divide the spot price of 1oz of silver into spot priceof 1oz of gold, it is currently at ratio of 65.

Simple way to keep on top of GSR just look at kitco

http://www.kitco.com/market/

I use this site for gold prices and ratios : http://www.goldprice.org/spot-gold.html

selct ratios on the radio button below the graph.

currently about 65

Ratios are a great way to swap low premium metals. The higher the premium, the more people want to start getting iinto value swaps. EWasily negotiated between the two parties I would have thought. :)

Thanks

How I would do this is as follows -

A 1 oz Krug is valued at spot or 98% spot selling to a bullion dealer.

I checked my supplier and today I could buy a Krug for £803.39 which is 3% above spot so I use this as not what I can sell it for but what it's worth.

Then look at Atkinsons for a benchmark buying silver coins ( there are cheaper sources and maybe folks here willing to trade / exchange ).

This gives you a good idea of what is realistic.

Looking just now you could purchase 43 new Amercian Eagles 2014.

That places your GSR ( real ratio in the UK ) at say 45 and not 65.

The GSR is not a good ratio buying and selling coins unfortunately - especially in the UK with VAT.

Also silver coins have a built-in margin, often quite high percentage wise, which is negligible in £800 value gold coins.

Hope this helps

I'd keep the krugerrand myself, unless you have more and you're going to profit on the swap.

I'd take gold spot price, divide by 24, times 22 for the gold value. But you'd want to see what they sell for and value it as the coin not its gold value.

Then divide it's value by silver spot price to see how many ounces of silver that'd be worth.

I think it was around 60 ounces of silver to a krugerrand if I remember right, I worked it out roughly not too long ago as I wouldn't mind getting that much scrap silver and swapping for a krugerrand.

I'd keep the krugerrand myself, unless you have more and you're going to profit on the swap.

I'd take gold spot price, divide by 24, times 22 for the gold value. But you'd want to see what they sell for and value it as the coin not its gold value.

Then divide it's value by silver spot price to see how many ounces of silver that'd be worth.

I think it was around 60 ounces of silver to a krugerrand if I remember right, I worked it out roughly not too long ago as I wouldn't mind getting that much scrap silver and swapping for a krugerrand.

A krugerrand contains exactly 1oz of 24ct gold as it is heavier than an ounce,so no need to go down a more complicated route.

• Founder & Administrator

Just seen an app I use has the gold/silver ratio and says it's 65.34 right now if that helps.

Which app are you using? Does it also show charts?

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

• Founder & Administrator

I use precious metals for quick glance at prices and Kcast for more in depth, Kcast has very good charts

Just downloaded Kcast on the iPad. Not impressed with the Charts. Look at how tiny they are:

gara9e6u.jpg

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I use precious metals for quick glance at prices and Kcast for more in depth, Kcast has very good charts

I like the charts on BullionbyPost as you can view different periods and check the spot price on a daily basis by moving the cursor.

They have different charts for different metals and they are large for viewing.

Archived