• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Cleaning Bullion Silver Coins and Bars Instantly

Pete

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard that a simple pencil eraser works on milk spots. Haven't tried it yet though.

Anyway, I have a less than perfect silver buffalo that I intend to neglect. After three weeks out in the open it still shows no sign

of tarnishing. Experiment continues.

It will remove the milk spot and leave a permanent rub mark that looks like an ice rink after a hockey match, when viewed under magnification.

If you want to tarnish a coin then place it inside a sealed polythene bag with a boiled egg and leave it in your garden shed whilst the sulphur does it's work.

Alternatively expose it as often as you can in a smokers room.

It will take a while so be patient.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone bought and tried this stuff ?

I am planning to get a tub in a few weeks and will report after use on removing milk spots.

If it works I might even post a short video but not for a while yet - too many other jobs lined up.

Has anyone bought and tried this stuff ?

I am planning to get a tub in a few weeks and will report after use on removing milk spots.

If it works I might even post a short video but not for a while yet - too many other jobs lined up.

I'm watching with great interest.

I have a few spotted coins I'd like to tidy up.

Stacker since 2013

I thought this stuff couldn't be sent due to banned items rule.

EDIT

Thought so, this is in the description

Due to postal regulations, we are not able to ship this product outside of the United States.

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard that a simple pencil eraser works on milk spots. Haven't tried it yet though.

In the interest of science I just have tried it.

I retrieved a tube of maple leafs which, last time i checked only had one or two spotted coins. Today there are about 6 coins affected (This tube has been built up from multiple purchases so I expect different batches and maybe not all will end up spotted, but I hope milk spots aren't contagious).

I picked the worst looking one which was almost completely covered on the obverse and I went to work on it with a new and unused eraser. Using extremely gentle strokes didn't appear to do much, but applying a little more pressure did seem to clean up the Queen's head and outer rim and the spotting did disappear in these areas. Unfortunately the maple has the disadvantage of those tiny ridges instead of a perfectly smooth face, so cleaning up the rest of the coin was going to prove very difficult. . The Queen's portrait now also shows some scratches which, although slight, are still visible to the naked eye. I could probably polish them out but this poor coin has suffered enough I think. None of my philharmonics seem to be afflicted yet, but i suspect it would be an easier coin to test on. This coin is now going in an air-tight container and I'll see if there's any sign of spots returning on the 'cleaned' area.

My conclusion overall is that for bullion coins that will sit in storage this is probably not worth the effort. I've removed some spotting at the expense of scratches, that's all. It's perfectly possible that others could achieve better results, as it could be that I rubbed the coin too hard, or that the eraser compound was too hard, but if anyone wants to try, then I recommend testing on a coin you don't mind damaging.

Anybody that says milk spots don't affect retail on bullion coins is mad.

I sold 10 spotted maples and think I cleared about £14 a coin after fees.

Normal ones I have cleared £19-20 after fees.

Stacker since 2013

But whats worse; spots, or some other damage cause by attempted spot removal?

To a dealer, I guess it's just silver weight.

I generally try to avoid any coin that is prone to spotting, I'll leave them for the hardcore stackers that don't care about condition.

Stacker since 2013

I think I started out as just that; concerned purely with metal value, however I have come to realise that I prefer my silver to remain looking pristine and shiny. The milk spots can be barely noticeable, or very obvious depending on how the light hits them but I know they are there, and whilst i don't lose sleep about it, it does bug me.

I am vowing to never buy anything minted by the RCM again: If other mints can manage to produce mostly spot-free coins, then there really is no excuse. I am getting 2 more special anniversary maples and am praying they stay clean, but that will be the last of it. 

Unfortunately I could not find a supplier of e-Z-est whilst in the USA.

Everyone just pointed to Amazon and eBay but delivery to my USA address was too long so I never managed to order any.

This stuff is amazing as it cleans the worst tarnish and stains in a couple of seconds.

I had some coins cleaned in another product called M70 but I could not obtain any and haven't researched it yet.

I am not sure if it is as agressive though.

I would never clean a coin or knowingly buy one that has been cleaned due to the damage that cleaning does to a coin.

Bullion cleaning what would be the point!

This dip does not damage a coin but I would never use any cleaner on a numismatic coin.

An acid dip dissolves the oxidation etc and maybe the first few layers of silver at a molecular level.

Bullion cleaning - I bought some Eagles that were totally BLACK and ugly as if in a fire and now look brand new.

• 2 months later...

I just made a batch of this stuff in the Lab and I`m quite impressed!

I did a batch with the sulphuric acid and one using sulphamic acid, both seem to work well with the thiourea (and both mixtures smell a bit), but wow! does this stuff ever clean :)

even stuff that can`t be reached with my normal method (silver wadding) that has been there for years (like between chain links etc..), it was all back to brand new looking in 30 secs.

I guess a good thing is that using the sulphamic acid instead of the sulphuric is that being a powder you can make up what you need when you need it just by adding water, with no sulphuric acid laying around.

I wouldn`t put expensive coins in it unless there was a real good reason, but it`s great for things like already worn rings, bracelets, necklaces etc...

Archived