• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is there any point buying every year coin?

ChrisSilver

• Founder & Administrator

My main stack consists of Pert Mint coins, however I will be collecting a few 1oz coins each year that I like. More for a collection that an investment.

My question is, would you say it is worth buying a maple and ASE each year? Or do you think that collecting these is a bit boring, and one only truly needs one maple and one ASE in their collection and it doesn't matter which year it might be.

Perhaps the money would be best spent on a different type of coin for the collection. What do you guys think?

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I like the majority of my coins to be different, so I take one of everything I can each year.

Then if I find one I like, or I think has upside, I go back and buy previous years.

But you already knew that.

Stacker since 2013

I think if a collection keeps you motivated to stack it has to be a good thing, i find motivation hard when funds are tight, if funds where easily available then yes why note collect all years,I am an A.S.E. fan and a collection of different years,colored and guilded would look cool to me. If it makes you happy why not,collectors collect all sorts of things just our hobby is precious metals.My stack is just boring bullion based, but if it was a case of mixed A.S.E.'s i would be just as happy.

As per Kieth,whatever makes you happy and keeps you interested in silver coins,there is no right and wrong in my book,stacker or collector or a bit of both.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

I'd like one of every year starting from 2014.  I want to back date but some are getting pricey so I'm only going to pick up ones which are still at reasonable prices.

I'd like a full date set of absolutely everything I like, and I'm getting there.

Still a long way to go though.

Next is koalas, then Philharmonics and then eagles.

Hopefully will finish my Rwanda wildlife off too.

Defo not doing pandas or lunar 1's.

Stacker since 2013

I'd like a full date set of absolutely everything I like, and I'm getting there.

Still a long way to go though.

Next is koalas, then Philharmonics and then eagles.

Hopefully will finish my Rwanda wildlife off too.

Defo not doing pandas or lunar 1's.

Out of interest, why not lunar 1's?

Out of interest, why not lunar 1's?

Too expensive to be honest Doogs.

I started it and got as far as 3, but the prices were putting me off so I sold them and put the cash towards a date run of kooks.

I think once a series has finished, it's upside potential is vastly diminished too and any profit has already been made.

I'd rather go back on running series or standard bullion date runs.

Stacker since 2013

• Founder & Administrator

I might pick up an ASE, maple, And libertads each year then. Probably makes sense as it's relatively inexpensive and I can add on to another order. Then I will have a collection of each starting 2013 onwards.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

My main stack consists of Pert Mint coins, however I will be collecting a few 1oz coins each year that I like. More for a collection that an investment.

My question is, would you say it is worth buying a maple and ASE each year? Or do you think that collecting these is a bit boring, and one only truly needs one maple and one ASE in their collection and it doesn't matter which year it might be.

Perhaps the money would be best spent on a different type of coin for the collection. What do you guys think?

My thoughts are: do what feels right for you.

Hi Derf

I agree just do you you feel is right.

The best thing is if you decide you do not like it or want it anymore then someone else will!!!!!

I collect for investment, and have lots of ASE, Australian coins, Maples, Britannia's, Monarchy type coins, all sorts.

Keith

I wouldn't purchase a date run of plain old bullion coins. But if you lie 'em, go for it. I don't think it would add any premium to the coins having the date run, unless you find someone else who happens to like that coin too. I would much rather have loads of different coins than the same but different years,

I agree they won't have a premium for the date run (in most cases) but they hold a premium for me.

In fact, you'd most likely get less selling in a date run than you would selling individually.

However, part of my morbid exit strategy is that my wife can sell in sets rather than singly to make things easier.

It's all in the instructions I have stored with my stack.

If I sell them when I retire, they will go individually.

Stacker since 2013

My 2 bobs worth. I think it comes down to each individual what they stack. Ask your self why do you stack. Is it a hobby in that you want sets of different coins, are you stacking as savings, or investment for the future and sale. Or just a straight stacker to acquire just as much as you can in Bullion. Some people just like bars, some like coins and some numismatics.Whatever the reason it should be enjoyable and from what I can see on this Forum its like a breath of fresh air. Enjoy!!!!

Archived