• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Are you addicted to buying silver coins.

motorbikez

woah waoh woah, It looks like milk spots are a common thing about the maples, and falcons. It is really putting me off purchasing them.....

Hi all! I have been looking for a forum for UK silver collectors. Finally found an active one! Anyway, I store some of my silver in charcoal and those moisture absorber. Seems to help. My older maples (1988 etc) seem to be fine. But I guess it is the luck of the draw too!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all! I have been looking for a forum for UK silver collectors. Finally found an active one! Anyway, I store some of my silver in charcoal and those moisture absorber. Seems to help. My older maples (1988 etc) seem to be fine. But I guess it is the luck of the draw too!

Welcome to the forum AB. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Stacker since 2013

Darn silver coins! lol

Yup, seems that every time I tell myself that I can't afford any more coins, I find another 'must have, just this one coin' which I have to get! lol

This week it was 3 more 99999 RSC rounds from than wicked but wonderful temptress Maggie!

Bu that is it! No more for at least...... Oh, who am I kidding!? lol

• 2 weeks later...

I started off just collecting the PM 1oz lunars. That quickly changed to 1oz coins and rounds.

I've just started to add 1oz bars. Unlike the coins which will be capsuled, these will be loose so they can be handled and played with.

I've gone on to start collecting 1/10oz gold coins.

Now I want a few Scottsdale 10oz stackers for my desk. At the moment, I can pickup for £178ish. I'll need 3 but can I justify spending so much of paper weights.

I need to stop. Heeelllllllppppp

I know I am,I used to buy virtually every week sometimes 2 weeks but no longer.

I am trying to be more selective and disciplined and buy what I actually need to complete a set,but i am finding it increasingly difficult to source specific coins and am looking to buy things just for the sake of it.

Is this you :)  I'll be buying sovereigns next. :D

Behave - nothing wrong with buying sovereigns  :angry:

If your maples are spotted then they are spotted, they don't develop spots over time, just the spots become visible.

Who knows, maybe they all have some sort of spotting, but it only shows after a while after the coin has been kept at a certain temperature or something.

Speaking about spotting I created a new thread about elephant spots. I hope there are a lot rarer than maple spots.

Does wiping them over with a "jewellers cloth" get rid of the milk spots?

Some say yes Richard, some say no.

I'd like to try though. A few of my britannias have finger marks and light toning, I'd like to see how they fair after a good wiping - it may make them tone heavily in future, I don't know.

Stacker since 2013

Are you using both of your kidneys? lol :P

I know how you feel. I am looking at a rather nice deal on a set of coins I have had my eye on for a while. They are a big departure for me from my usual mostly bullion approach. Will have to see. I am weighing them up against some of the new Chris Duain Silver Shield proof like rounds.

Ahh!!.. lol We will have to wait and see. I am still awaiting delivery of my rounds from Maggie. I want to see f they got through safe and sound (see my Overseas Post thread - I am on their computer now!!!!) before I make any more orders from overseas. So I am waiting and wondering. They should be here any day! :ph34r: :ph34r:

Am I addicted to buying silver? Yes, probably am! lol :wacko:

I know I keep saying I will have a break, and then keep not having a break! lol. That means something, right? :blink:

I've been saying that for the last 6 months,then that must have coin/coins come up :D

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

• Founder & Administrator

Does wiping them over with a "jewellers cloth" get rid of the milk spots?

Off topic, but quick answer: Milk spots are supposed to be caused by cleaning agent that wasn't washed off being baked into the coins during production, this then obviously oxidises or something at some point in the future to show the spots. As far as I am aware they can't be removed, or at least without causing some damage to the coin. All forms of cleaning will damage a coin somewhat.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

• Founder & Administrator

The only way to take a break is to literally disconnect yourself from silver, I.e from all forums etc. I did for several months (in fact about 9 months probably) because I was too busy with setting up my business here. But this was a big mistake, ended up recently returning to silver and paying higher premiums for some of the coins I wanted, as well as for new coins that I didn't know were being released, missed the release and had to pick up in the secondary market.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I am no doubt in my mind!!!

Don't take a break just buy less. As you stated earlier (C Silver) if you completely disconnect yourself from the silver market you may miss out on some very good deals.

Any how back at work now in the ME (only 20 days to go), stack safely stored in secure storage.

Warning to all.  Do not deviate from your stacking pattern.  I bought a couple of Scottsdale stackers and have now bought a couple more.  2 was not enough once I'd played around with them.

I believe some of you have bought 5oz and 10oz coins and have now got the bug too.  Even high reliefs.  Once you try something new you'll catch the bug and it'll consume you.

Archived