• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hand Poured / Crafted Silver

Carpe Diem

Today was the day I poured my 1st silver item that I would buy myself. Now to get busy making more! 

I must have spent many hours and tried dozens of other idea's first which all were either fails or just average. 

I will get some pic's up and website up at some point, just wanted to share a rare moment of satisfaction.

Never give up, keep pouring (safety first)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hand pours are awesome, I really like the almost unlimited potential for designs and styles. 

But I also Think that they are the "In" thing right now, and think a lot of premiums will be lost on them.

But for collectors, so much to choose from and very very cool.  

On 05/02/2016 at 21:55, SilverPirate said:

I am loving the stuff produced by MKBARZ, how do you think they get that aged look?brush with some chemical over the silver? Makes a really nice look.This video is fantastic, i've watched it again and again.

Lots of pours there and a heap of silver, great to see.

I have seen the aged look done by.... wait for it... Zip locking silver in with a boiled egg. But there will be other ways for sure. Nice to see what other people are doing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2015 at 23:00, morezone said:

I've got some spare pieces from Atlantis Mint http://www.atlantismint.com/index.php/ if you're interested.

Selling for what they cost me inc 1st class signed-for for £60.  They're the Tiger, Dragon and Eagle Head.

I love the poured stuff.  You might want to check out http://www.yeagerspouredsilver.com/index.php He has quite a few nice pieces.  On 16oz (I think that's the weight limit before postage shoots up), you can get them landed for around £21/oz.

post-94-0-25757500-1424645529_thumb.jpg

is that still available man ? :D lol 

On Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at 20:40, Vern said:

I have seen the aged look done by.... wait for it... Zip locking silver in with a boiled egg. But there will be other ways for sure. Nice to see what other people are doing.

Apply Liver of Sulfur. Loads of how toos on YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit off topic but might be interesting anyway.

I wouldn't use this method for pm's but looks ok for aluminium, brass etc  http://www.worldvillage.com/how-to-turn-ordinary-styrofoam-into-solid-metal/?utm_content=bufferb72a0&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The paper weights looked interesting but not with those naff looking spikes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple of recent pours of mine. 

The bar is over 7 oz and shown as poured and not cleaned up as yet. It has unusual markings on the top. If anybody knows what that cammo style fleck is please let me know.

The totem was about 16 oz but I just cant get these perfect yet, ( still working on it ).

I need to update my mask as I currently have far too much pure 999+ silver smoke making its way out of my body and through my feet :huh: These sorts of things could only happen to me!.

I hope everybody is enjoying their Easter weekend.

Cheers Vern

IMG_6818.JPG

IMG_6629.JPG

On 25 March 2016 at 12:48, Vern said:

The bar is over 7 oz and shown as poured and not cleaned up as yet. It has unusual markings on the top. If anybody knows what that cammo style fleck is please let me know.

The totem was about 16 oz but I just cant get these perfect yet, ( still working on it ).

I need to update my mask as I currently have far too much pure 999+ silver smoke making its way out of my body and through my feet :huh: These sorts of things could only happen to me!.

Cheers Vern

IMG_6818.JPG

IMG_6629.JPG

The unusual markings on the top of the 7oz bar are actually silver crystals that have formed upon cooling in the top microstructure of the silver. 'Slow' cooling times give the crystals a chance to grow. 

On 25 March 2016 at 12:48, Vern said:

Cheers Vern

IMG_6818.JPG

IMG_6629.JPG

Forgot to mention..... The totem pole is awesome!!!!! 

I really do like seeing all the different hand poured stuff out there, especially from those amateur pourers out there, which as of this last weekend I joined.

I decided to start with a hexagon mold, probably only has a capacity of about 2.5 ozt, but they will do the trick. The 3 below are 56g (top left), 37g (top right), and 31g (bottom).

I am all ears (eyes being online of course) to any tips anyone has to help a beginning silver pourer.

Picture 5.jpg

@Ollie1016 thanks, will dodo, been watching a few videos, and have followed HiHo silver in his series of videos, and picked up one of his hexagons.

Biggest thing right now I think is practice, to get the heat right, and to pour evenly and get a consistent look down.

2 minutes ago, AGEnder said:

@Ollie1016 thanks, will dodo, been watching a few videos, and have followed HiHo silver in his series of videos, and picked up one of his hexagons.

Biggest thing right now I think is practice, to get the heat right, and to pour evenly and get a consistent look down.

HiHo's series will give you a fairly good insight into casting. It's been interesting to have his progress documented. He's definitely gotten better as he's progressed!! 

1) Good heat in the mold, it doesn't have to be glowing red!

2) A firm and consistent pour!

Good luck bud!

IMG_7028.jpg

IMG_7030 (1).jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 1 April 2016 at 20:52, AGEnder said:

Newest pour, would love to get it mirror finish around the center, any tips for that? High (1500-2000+) grit sand paper? Dremel and rubbing compound?

IMG_20160401_122555934.jpg

If you've got a surface like that, it'd probably be best to melt it down again. Thats a strange surface finish to have with .999 silver, it looks like the metal has absorbed lots of gas whilst being molten, then upon cooling the gases are released forming this finish. 

To get a mirror finish you'll want to start at 120 then move through them like this: 120, 220, 300, 400, 600, 1000, buffing wheel/polishing compound. Silver is quite a soft metal, so it doesn't take much to get a good shine going on it. 

I've just seen your video above, I love the pour lines and uniqueness of the partially formed bar!

Well done!

Will pour these on demand. .999+ fine silver 3oz+

These show nice depth and feel good in the hand....like poured silver does.

Interested? please message me as I will pour these on demand.

IMG_7072.JPG

IMG_7074.JPG

IMG_7075.JPG

On 6/3/2016 at 00:51, Ollie1016 said:

If you've got a surface like that, it'd probably be best to melt it down again. Thats a strange surface finish to have with .999 silver, it looks like the metal has absorbed lots of gas whilst being molten, then upon cooling the gases are released forming this finish. 

To get a mirror finish you'll want to start at 120 then move through them like this: 120, 220, 300, 400, 600, 1000, buffing wheel/polishing compound. Silver is quite a soft metal, so it doesn't take much to get a good shine going on it. 

I've just seen your video above, I love the pour lines and uniqueness of the partially formed bar!

Well done!

Oh yeah, that one was likely melted again, been two months since that one. Seeing that one compared to my video there, shows me how far I've come. ?

10 hours ago, AGEnder said:

Oh yeah, that one was likely melted again, been two months since that one. Seeing that one compared to my video there, shows me how far I've come. ?

Sorry about the late reply! You've come on leaps and bounds! Fantastic to see! 

Archived