• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

e bay comparison to a dealer to bid higher like for like

craig12

i got to thinking what would be a fair comparison on e bay  as ive pulled out of so many auctions thinking that now its gone over my limit im not bidding anymore 

or i may have put a maximum bid in and regretted not going higher 

now for me i use the example of 10 coins from a dealer   some may 20 some may compare 5 

but lets take for a sample 

a 1 oz round  and well say  that hgm charge 23% extra plus vat plus del 

so if a fm majestic round was  equivilant to        spot + 20% + £5 del  then that should be a good price compared to hgm 

i have used atkinsons 10 coin example to say to myself  if i got 10 coins from atkinsons  i would be paying    xyz  

so is this  e bay coin a good buy ?  obviously it should be a stonking buy as if you bought 1 coin only from atkinsons you would pay a fortune 

so i wondered if members compare dealers  prices with e bay   although you could be  outbid by a ficticous person 

you still beat the dealer  

i have 2 scenarios  which seem to please me  and that is  

if i can either pick up  for  spot +vat  no premium  or   spot + premium  and no 20%  if you sort of follow 

as a for instance i have started buying  1780 maria thalers in vgc  but cant seem to get out of my head £13 max per coin  and ive lost a lot by not going higher   (as the melt is only £9.50)   but im sure if a thaler was available at hgm  im sure they would be around  £17 delivered

Craig, not sure if you are using a phone or pc to type your post, but it is very hard to follow your thoughts without the use of full stops and capital letters etc.

But I get the gist of what you are saying.

With me, I look at it in simple percentages. If I can get silver from the UK at about 25% - 30% premium over spot from bullion dealers, then if I can match that figure or less on ebay then I'll be doing ok.

With regards to the Thaler, I think your price of £13 is a good one to stick to. I've had two from Ebay, both were delivered for under £13. It is just a matter of waiting for the right auction.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived