• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Can anyone recommend a good HD cam

ChrisSilver

• Founder & Administrator

I am looking to make some high definition close up videos of some of my coins so that I can put onto YouTube.

I previously tried using my iPhone / iPad and the video wasn't that great, most probably because of the small lends doesn't let enough light in, so inside recording isn't great.

Hopefully is can get a good HD webcam for around £20-£40. Also easier to fix a webcam to a table or something so no need for a tripod.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I found this one on Amazon, looks nice. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003VOEENG/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1422695584&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=hd+webcam&dpPl=1&dpID=41nXFWMgW0L&ref=plSrch

True HD 1080p, Only problem is that I don't think it has auto focus.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Sorry mate I haven't, I am going to do a video sometime and just use one of my cameras I've a panasonic TZ 10 & G3 as they both have video capability. I did buy a tripod though Chris and find it very useful.

The TZ 10 is 5 years old and has excellent video capability you could pic one of them up for next to nothing from ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-LUMIX-DMC-TZ10EB-K-12-1-MP-Digital-Camera-Black-/400853247044?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d54b72444

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Thanks for the suggestions

The Panasonic TZ10 is an excellent camera motorbikz, new they are around £250-£300 ish. If that one on eBay was buy it now at £20 I would have probably bought it. Even at £40 it's an amazing price, but there are others on ebay around £80+ so I presume it will sell for around that price.

I just purchased this for £45: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004ABO7QI/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AHFXXSRDFB7E4 as long as the seller sends me the correct one as advertised, that particular one records 720p with the software that comes with it, but it actually has a 1080p lense so I can probably download some software to record in full HD.

The reviews of that look good, and also looks like it is possible to mount on a tripod if needed. Tripods on ebay seem pretty cheap, under £10 delivered.

Discounts / Offers

I have a HD logitech c920 webcam, got it from amazon on sale for about £30 I think it was

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006A2Q81M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

I've found it crap for coin closeups though so don't use it

I use my iphone 4s for my youtube videos, they come out clear enough (I think)

I always try and do them in daylight though, video not so good in artificial light. 

This is a half sovereign close up 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Your best bet is to use the video mode on a digital camera. Many have a close up mode too.

A couple if cameras I looked at had a focus range from 30cm. The webcam I ended up getting focused from 4inches. So should be better for close ups hopefully. Will know when it arrives.

Discounts / Offers

I use my iphone 4s for my youtube videos, they come out clear enough (I think)

I always try and do them in daylight though, video not so good in artificial light.

Yea that's what I found with my iPhone, outside it records amazing quality but inside the quality isn't very good at all. Not enough natural light where I will be recording.

Hopefully the cam I got will work great.

Discounts / Offers

Yea that's what I found with my iPhone, outside it records amazing quality but inside the quality isn't very good at all.

The iPhone 6 is much better at internal videos, but still far from perfect. Light isn't picked up too well.

Stacker since 2013

Looking forward to seeing some pics and vids with the new camera Chris.

I choose the free shipping option on amazon so may take up to 5-7 days to arrive. But then I am going to try to take a lot of videos, HD close up video of each coin. A bit boring perhaps, but useful for people who want to see what a particular coin looks like. I watch videos like that, interesting to see in HD what a coin looks like and if worth buying.

If I put a lot of videos up it will also help to let people know about the forum as I will link the forum in the description of all videos.

Discounts / Offers

A couple if cameras I looked at had a focus range from 30cm. The webcam I ended up getting focused from 4inches. So should be better for close ups hopefully. Will know when it arrives.

I have an Olympus TG 2 tough camera which will focus down to 1cm. It is rather good. Also freeze proof down to -10c, water proof to 50 ft, drop proof to 3m or something like that, and crush proof to a silly number of KG! lol I am so incredibly clumsy, it is one of the few cameras I own I have not damaged in some way.

I took this with it:

Because of this thread I dug out my old Sony Handycam dcr sr32. Just to see how good the pics were. You can buy these on ebay second hand for less than £40 delivered.

it has a 40x optical zoom and a 2000 x digital zoom.

Just took these close up pics of an ASE. 

post-140-0-41819100-1422801255_thumb.jpg

post-140-0-40736100-1422801263_thumb.jpg

post-140-0-64312700-1422801270_thumb.jpg

Well the webcam arrived today, and I am not impressed at all. I had to download an app for £5.99 just in order to get it to work, couldn't find any free drivers that worked, I was extremely surprised that it wasn't plug and play on a Mac.

It probably works great on Widows as it had a lot of good reviews, but from my test experience it was terrible. The picture was over exposed, it actually worked better with all the lights off then on. When I turned the light on and manually adjusted the exposure the picture then became flickery. The focus was extremely slow and couldn't focus when closer to the camera. The picture was also not smooth at all and jumped frames (Though this last problem may be a problem with the Mac itself as it possible couldn't handle it as it's quite a slow mac)`

So I am going to return this, and then try to see if I can get my iPad to work.... 

Discounts / Offers

Buy this!!

The Cyber-shot W560 digital camera features a 14.1-megapixel CCD image sensor, 3.0" LCD and a 4x optical zoom lens starting at 26mm. It can record 720p HD videos and comes with features such as Optical SteadyShot image stabilization, Intelligent Auto (iAuto) mode and Sweep Panorama. For those who want step-by-step instructions to shoot better pictures there is an in-camera guide alongwith functions such as Anti-blink and in-camera editing tools for better everyday photography. It is available in black, silver pink and violet colors.

And macro down to 5cm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-CYBER-SHOT-DSC-W560-DIGITAL-CAMERA-/400854600607?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d54cbcb9f

Buy this!!

The Cyber-shot W560 digital camera features a 14.1-megapixel CCD image sensor, 3.0" LCD and a 4x optical zoom lens starting at 26mm. It can record 720p HD videos and comes with features such as Optical SteadyShot image stabilization, Intelligent Auto (iAuto) mode and Sweep Panorama. For those who want step-by-step instructions to shoot better pictures there is an in-camera guide alongwith functions such as Anti-blink and in-camera editing tools for better everyday photography. It is available in black, silver pink and violet colors.

And macro down to 5cm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-CYBER-SHOT-DSC-W560-DIGITAL-CAMERA-/400854600607?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d54cbcb9f

Problem with a camera is that I will also have to buy a memory card? Depending on the software as could possibly get away with direct recording from USB.

I will make a couple of quick videos now on my iPad.....

Discounts / Offers

Problem with a camera is that I will also have to buy a memory card? Depending on the software as could possibly get away with direct recording from USB.

I will make a couple of quick videos now on my iPad.....

You can get an adequate memory card for no more than a fiver!

I think this is OK. Not perfect, but acceptable. (filmed on an iPad)

Discounts / Offers

Archived