• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Quick question about American Eagles

Mark10110

Hi guys and gals,

I made my final order of silver pre-brexit till I go all gold, I purchased 25 royal arms 1oz, 10 1oz valiants and more importantly for this topic,

25 US Silver Eagles (Random Years).

are there any years that I should keep my eye out for, any interesting things I should be aware of? high demand years/silver content changes etc?

Thank you in advance

Mark

Just now, JunkBond said:

1996 is lowest mintage. I think that is about it.

Cheers, I ordered them and only this morning did occur to me that I don't know the history of the coins, I am aware the Britannia coins had a change of metal content but never thought about the eagles.

Thanks JunkBond

Just now, JunkBond said:

I have ordered random year eagles before and got mostly 2014,15,16. No early ones.

I got them for weight so not too bothered about condition or years but i'd hate to miss handle a gem I didnt know about.

1 hour ago, Mark10110 said:

Hi guys and gals,

I made my final order of silver pre-brexit till I go all gold, I purchased 25 royal arms 1oz, 10 1oz valiants and more importantly for this topic,

25 US Silver Eagles (Random Years).

are there any years that I should keep my eye out for, any interesting things I should be aware of? high demand years/silver content changes etc?

Thank you in advance

Mark

Im pretty sure the blanks used all come from Sunshine Mint and are .999 and I believe that has been the case since they started making them in the 80s.

Here are a few interesting links. It looks like they are not the exclusive supplier but the main one at any rate. I'm not sure where the US Mint sources their other blanks. 

http://www.sunshinemint.com/Blanks.aspx

https://www.providentmetals.com/bullion/bullion-by-mint/private-mint/smi-sunshine-mint.html

https://www.silverdoctors.com/gold/gold-news/another-smoking-gun-us-silver-eagle-allocation-conspiracy/

23 hours ago, tallyhojim said:

So the Sunshine Mint supplies the US Mint with blanks? Never knew that. I just assumed the US Mint did everything themselves.

It's probably a lot easier and cheaper to purchase high quality, production-ready blanks than to process everything yourself.

On the other hand, as it is, according to the silverdoctors article linked above, the US mint is required to buy whatever blanks they need, regardless of the price:

"the US Mint IS REQUIRED to increase their BID for ALL SILVER BLANKS until they bid high enough to obtain enough blanks to meet public demand."

That sounds very expensive to me.

On 17/08/2019 at 15:26, JunkBond said:

I have ordered random year eagles before and got mostly 2014,15,16. No early ones.

All 999 I believe.

Guess who is a happy boy today... in among a load of 1993/2000/1018's.... this bad boy

SUPER STOKED!

IMG_1457.JPG

On 18/08/2019 at 18:10, RacerCool said:

It's probably a lot easier and cheaper to purchase high quality, production-ready blanks than to process everything yourself.

On the other hand, as it is, according to the silverdoctors article linked above, the US mint is required to buy whatever blanks they need, regardless of the price:

"the US Mint IS REQUIRED to increase their BID for ALL SILVER BLANKS until they bid high enough to obtain enough blanks to meet public demand."

That sounds very expensive to me.

So in theory the US Mint could be making a loss when they sell them?

35 minutes ago, tallyhojim said:

So in theory the US Mint could be making a loss when they sell them?

Yes, it's certainly possible. I don't know any numbers from the mint but I wouldn't be surprised if they do take losses. That's not abnormal for the US gov't.

Just now, AndrewSL76 said:

Yup. Only 500,000 proofs that year compared with 3,603,386 Bullion coins.

Looks like a proof so you’ve done well there. 

This is why I asked in the forums on that rare chance I find a gem and overlook it.

No idea what to do from this point with it, maybe capsule that 1.

I got some really old coins like 1993's which I was expecting a bunch of 25 X 2017-2018s.

Archived