• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2014 1oz UK Lunar horse proof

Cully

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was one I returned back to a different seller in the US and unfortunately I didn't need a loupe to see the marks. :(

Interesting.

I must admit, I find it hard to believe that the marks shown on the YouTube video are not visible to the naked eye.

In fact, they look very similar to your picture even with magnification taken into account.

Do we have a problem with the RM here?

Stacker since 2013

All this humming and arring about coin conditions makes me laugh..........If i get one with spots, i'll dip it. 

As for "outing" the coin on you tube, oh do me a favour, do you honestly think that in 11 years time when the new lunar horse comes out from the Royal Mint, and the first lunar horse coin price rockets and all the newbies try to jump on the bandwagon to back date their collection, anyone is going to remember that a small number of coins had spots and they will be getting out the microscope to check every coin going. Of course they are not.

And as others on here have correctly said, PROOF does NOT mean perfect. A proof coin is a coin struck differently, with more strikes and a better die, than bu coins, but it does not mean it has to be perfect.

People are quite in their rights to want a perfect untouched unmarked proof coin, but a coin being a proof does not ever have to come up to that standard by definition.

Just had a quick check on silvertowne's ebay feedback pages. Not one negative feedback for a RM lunar proof coin, nor any neutral feedbacks but I did find a positive feedback.

Great service. Thanks! Coins in good shape, as described. Buyer: 
e***e ( 13iconYellowStar_25x25.gif)
During past month iconFdbkCnvrsB_20x20.gif   2014 United Kingdom Silver Year of the Horse 1oz Proof in OGP (#301329786210)

@HighlandTiger We all know that proof does not mean perfect,the point being it has been pointed out there is a fault with coins being sold by that particular seller that is why it is being sold below perceived market value.

As I said earlier on if it is for your own collection fine.By the way if you get one and it has the marks like in Cully's photo and you dip it be sure to show the results here,I would be genuinely interested to see what a dip will do to the mirror finish.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Well - I just bought a bunch of them - will let everyone know in 2 weeks what condition they are in! Will pick them up in the US.

I hope you are lucky matey.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

It is sometimes very difficult to do business with usa sellers. They seem to be extremely cautious.

The thing I hate most is Apmex and Silvertowne who won't even let someone with a uk PayPal buy a coin they win on eBay. I find that outrageous.

MCM is ok with sending to an address in the USA and payment with a uk PayPal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Founder & Administrator

I moved this topic to the silver section. Because it turned into a discussion, which is fine, but please keep discussions separate from trade topics. 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I was lucky ...or maybe I should start selling them before they turn into chocolate hobnobs.....! My real plan was to keep most of them for a few years to see how if they appreciate towards the end of the 12 year cycle.

To flip or not to flip?

Interesting question with these coins. Personally I have no idea, I didn't even know these coins existed until DrDime resurrected this thread by posting his picture on the 7th March!

I was certainly surprised to see how much they were going for, how much did they originally sell for?

Must have been a shortage, they all went to the US.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

To flip or not to flip?

Interesting question with these coins. Personally I have no idea, I didn't even know these coins existed until DrDime resurrected this thread by posting his picture on the 7th March!

I was certainly surprised to see how much they were going for, how much did they originally sell for?

Must have been a shortage, they all went to the US.

They were £82.50 

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/Lunar_Year_of_the_Horse_2014_UK_One_Ounce_Silver_Proof_Coin

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Archived