• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

I scored a Morgan for a buck!

bugo

This is my first post to this forum but I'm a regular poster on some other coin forums and I've been collecting coins all my life. In the last year or so, I've become obsessed with silver coins. I worked at a convenience store for a year and a half and found some silver in the tills, in rolls, and some customers spent silver coins. I found probably a half dozen war nickels, between 35 and 40 silver Roosevelt dimes, a couple of silver Washington quarters, several 40% Kennedys, three Franklins, and a 40% silver business strike NIFC bicentennial quarter (the only year the mint minted a 40% silver quarter). I also check the Coinstar machines and I have found a 1905-O dime and a 1917 French 50 centimes coin (83.5% silver). Those were impressive finds, but yesterday I found something that blew those coins out of the water. There is a convenience store/bodega at the apartment complex where I used to live. I got to know the owner and asked him if he would stick back "large coins" (half dollars and larger) for me and he did. He saved several clad halves for me and an Ike, which were nice scores because I collect all half dollars and all large dollars including Eisenhower dollars. One day I got lucky and the owner had several halves and one of them was 40% (1968). Yesterday I went to the complex to visit my friend who still lives there. I got thirsty and walked down to the store to buy a Coke. The owner wasn't there, instead a lady that I had never seen was working. She was talking to somebody else behind the counter and her English wasn't great. She rang up my Coke and I asked her if she had any "big coins" and she replied "yes". I was afraid that she didn't understand what I was saying or at the most it would be a clad Kennedy. She pulled out a large coin and at first I thought it was an Ike, and I got excited because Ikes are rare in circulation and I thought it would look nice in my folder. She handed it to me and my jaw hit the floor when I saw that it was a Morgan! I didn't even look at it that closely because I didn't want her to change her mind. I told her I wanted it and gave her four quarters for it and went on my merry way. She obviously just wanted to get it out of the drawer because large dollar coins are a pain when counting your till and making the bank deposit at the end of the shift. I took it home and looked at it closer and it turns out that it was a 1884-O silver dollar! I thought it was a VF or possibly an XF (I'm not very knowledgeable about coin grading) but I posted the pictures to the coin forums and everybody agreed that it is AU! There is a scratch on her face but otherwise it's in excellent shape. I'm still in shock over finding a 19th century Morgan in circulation. Here are some pictures I took. The Morgan isn't as gold looking as it appears to be in these pictures but it does have nice golden toning. To think that I almost stopped at a QT to get a Coke but didn't because there was a car in the right hand lane so I decided to go to the bodega instead. I hadn't been to this store in probably a month. I don't believe in fate or destiny but it was almost like this coin was meant to be mine. A friend has already offered $50 for it which I declined because I collect for fun, not for profit. Besides, how often do you find Morgans in circulation? It's going into my forever collection. Here it is:

IMG_3924_zps3149062a.jpg

876d4ffc-a501-4e3a-9b45-6716b91b0ffe_zps

I collect the Morgan dollars myself, that is an awesome find. however I will never find one in my change as I live in the UK.

I have almost completed a date run and need only two coins, but to get them will be expensive.

Then I will start work on the individual coins from the various mints.

I collect the Morgan dollars myself, that is an awesome find. however I will never find one in my change as I live in the UK.

You never know. I found an 1861 British half penny in Oklahoma in circulation.

Foreign coins in circulation. I remember the old british 5p or 1 shilling was the same size as a German mark and when going to there a trip to the bank to convert pound notes to 5p's was great fun and quite a saving too!

I like the Morgan, something historic about it, gunslingers and poker games on the new frontier.

Archived