• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Guernsey 1oz Silver Coin

Cabinteely

post-303-0-59569400-1417017956_thumb.jpg

Hey Guys,

I am new to the forum and really enjoying reading through all the very interesting topics.

I am based in Ireland and have been an avid precious metals investor for the last three years but only really starting to buy proper quantities in the last couple of months.

I came across Guernsey Mint aka Bullion Rock and their prices seem to be very competative, especially for their own Guernsey 1 oz rounds which I believe are struck by Metalor in Switzerland.

They are a beautiful coin and the prices are much cheaper in comparison to the american eagles and canadian maple leafs etc.

My concern is, when I decide (if ever) to sell all of my silver, surely It will be much harder to sell Guernsey 1 oz coins as opposed to a more recognisable coin such as an eagle, philly etc etc. 

Do places that buy your silver really care ? or are allthey are interested in is the content? i.e. If i had a more premium coin are they only going to give me a set price / spot for that coin regardless. Does anyone have any experience of this ?

I really love the guernsey coin and I love the price even more. However, before I go deeper and deeper buying these coins, I was interested in hearing your opinions. I suppose the main reason also is that these coins are VAT free but aside from that I actually prefer them to any of the other popular coins on the market.

Can anyone suggest other sources or VAT free silver in Europe other than Liberty Silver and Celtic Gold?

I really look forward to seeing all of your replies,

Thanks in advance,

Cabinteely

Hi Cabinteely  - welcome aboard !

i have used bullionrock several times in the past and they offer a good service

My last order for silver from them however got caught for VAT so i ended up having to pay that + the £8 odd  fixed customs charges

They offer the chance to prepay the VAT, i chanced it last time to get thought but it didn't :(

For people on the south coast i have read elsewhere online on foot ferry passengers crossing to Guernsey can be 20% more lucrative than using the post service ;)

No reason at all not to use the bullionrock but i would just default to site sponsor silver to go in germany guaranteed no nasty surprises and they are very competitive on price no reason to go elsewhere IMO

if you are sending them to Ireland you should be fine and pay no VAT as its only the uk that will add the VAT, but even then you can choose at the check out to pre pay, i've only used them once and they got through fine

there in a youtuber called irish sliver stack (https://www.youtube.com/user/Irishsilverstack/videos) might want to check some of his old vids out as he ordered for them quite a bit, 

Hi guys,

Many thanks for your replies.

Thankfully I have actually ordered from them on numerous ocassions and I have never been hit for the VAT which is why I am always a return customer.

I suppose the real reason I asked is to know if anyone has ever tried to sell any of these Guernsey 1oz coins.

For example if I ant to sell back to a dealer in the UK i cant because majority of them (in fact probably 95%) do not stock this coin.

Should I be avoiding this coin and paying the bit extra for something more mainstream?

Thanks again for your replies ! its very much appreciated !

I've always prepaid the VAT on them as the contents are marked and UK Royal Mail customs always seem to pay attention to parcels from Guernsey now. They even seem to be more likely to stop parcels bought on ebay than ebay parcels from the US.

If i didnt live at the other end of the British Isles i would take trips over but being in northern Scotland it is a bit too far for a day trip.

Archived