• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Luker2

Sales of this new coin have been on fire since introduced on eBay 2 or 3 days ago:

2015 GHANA "Lunar Skulls" YEAR OF THE GOAT 1oz Silver High Relief Coin.

Extremely limited mintage of 500 for the 1 oz silver proof version, and 2000 for the BU version

Each coin will be engraved with a serial number and have a matching COA.

Currently available  for pre-sale on eBay (I believe that ~ 100 of the proof version have already been sold)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROOF-2015-GHANA-Lunar-Skulls-YEAR-OF-THE-GOAT-1oz-Silver-High-Relief-Coin-/381065153211?

and First Coin Company:

http://firstcoincompany.com/S/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=ghana

Article posted today to :

http://newcoinreleases.com/new-lunar-skulls-series-2015-ghana-5-cedis-year-of-the-goat-1-oz-999-silver-high-relief-coin/

New “LUNAR SKULLS” series – 2015 Ghana – 5 Cedis Year of the Goat 1 oz .999 Silver High Relief Coin

Author: K.Paul Sankey

The 2015 Ghana Year of the Goat is the first of a NEW series. It’s a Chinese lunar year coin theme that has been twisted to incorporate a recent popular trend in numismatics – Skulls. The first 1 oz. silver coin is part of the “Lunar Skulls” Series of Coins and was authorized by the Republic of Ghana.

2015-Ghana-Year-of-the-Goat.png

From Son-Montuno eBay store description:

“Son-Montuno is pleased to announce the first coin in our new series, “Lunar Skulls”. Working closely with SkullCoins.com, US based tattoo artist Kiana Roo from KangarooPawTattoo.com and under strict authority of the Republic of Ghana, SMmint (SMmint.com) brings you a new twist on the classic annual lunar theme.”

Son-Montuno has been exclusively an eBay storefront up till now and has been operating since January 4, 2000. He has built up a clientele based on trust and has almost 6,000 reviews with 100% feedback. Now with the explosion of Lunar series coins the past few years and there relative popularity with the obvious winners like the dragon, snake and even the horse, Son-Montuno saw an opening with the lack of great designs for the upcoming goat/sheep lunar theme. After some research a lunar goat skull felt unique and seemed to be what collectors would want – the 12 coin Lunar Skulls series was born. His vision was brought forth by himself, his partner, and the many other components it takes to sculpt a metallic piece of art. This release is also launching SMmint as a brand: Son-Montuno mint.

This will be the first coin in a very unique and what looks to be a popular series. There will be two versions released: a high relief proof and BU/satin finish both will be 1oz .999 fine silver and will be struck with the same dies. The only alterations that will be made between the two coins will be changes made for the finishes. I was informed that the dies may also be destroyed after the maximum mintages are reached. The mintage of the proof version is limited to 500 coins, which makes it highly limited and sought after, especially considering the unique depiction of the goat skull, which was created by US based tattoo artist Kiana Roo. The BU/satin version is also extremely limited at only 2000 coins. These are offered pre-sale and will ship end of December to Mid – January. Son-Montuno has split the mintage with his partner and will distribute mostly in the US while his partner will distribute mostly in the European and Asian markets. The proofs in the US were allocated mostly to dealers with no more than 10 going to any single one and 50 were allocated to his eBay store at the retail price of $89.00. First Coin Company is one of the dealers that have the BU/satin version available now. You can also buy it directly from Son-Montuno for the retail price of 69.90$ using the link at the end of this article.

*The first 50 pre – sale proofs that were allocated for his store sold out by 8PM on Sunday 11/24/14.

2015-Ghana-Year-of-the-Goat-1.png

These coins will also have a great security feature – each COA number will be etched on the coin matching the paper COA.  This is not a new feature but one that is rarely used and that sets this coin apart.

Son-Montuno was extremely interesting and very refreshing. He was adamant that the market will dictate how this release and eventually the series will perform and hopes it will be embraced – I think it’s off to a great start!

Son-Montuno will be releasing a new series of limited edition bullion rounds in the upcoming weeks also. It will be of a “modern popular style” and will be offered in gold, silver, and either copper or bronze.

Why should you be interested in this coin?

• Highly limited (2,500 coins maximum/ ONLY 500 PROOF).
  • Three nines fine silver (99.9% pure silver).
  • First coin of a new series w/ unique serial # engraved on coin with matching COA.

Specifications:

• Metal: 1 Troy oz. of 99.9% pure silver
  • Finish: Proof/ BU (satin)
  • Diameter: 36.81mm
  • Edge: Milled
  • Denomination: 5 Cedis
  • Year of Issue: 2015
  • Mintage: 500/2,000

Be sure to get more information here:

Son-Montuno’s Storefront – http://smcoins.com

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't getting your money back via Paypal be a problem if the coins never materialised? Since they wouldn't be shipped until next year at some point.

Part of a new series also makes me wonder how many slightly different limited editions they will release.

Think you would be covered under the ebay guarantee which is different to the paypal one.

Cheers for the heads up in the today i bought thread luker,Glad I got on them when the proofs were $89 each (ordered two) , they are now selling them for $199 each! I wouldn't have paid that much tbh

I really like the design , very different from other lunars . If the coin itself is any good I think it could turn into a very interesting series.

The way they are selling and considering the low mintage I wouldn't be suprised to see them come out with a privvy mark version once these are sold

http://agaunews.com/lunar-skulls-refreshing-new-take-lunar-coin-market/

LUNAR SKULLS: A REFRESHING NEW TAKE ON THE LUNAR COIN MARKET
2015LUN-SMM-FEAT.jpg

We all know that the Lunar market can sometimes seem an endless procession of coins with similar themes and designs, and while there are releases that rise above the pack, it’s genuinely rare to see something completely different. We’re not talking about inset crystals, agate, gilding or fluorescence for example, but something that deviates from the overall theme. A quick look through our huge Year of the Goat Superguide will show you scores of coins, pretty much all with the same basic design; a picture of a goat.

Coming from nowhere, and from a new arrival on the coin producing scene is the debut release in a new 12-coin series entitled ‘Lunar Skulls’. Depicting exactly what you’d expect from the title, each coin will feature the skull of the lunar animal. Fortunately, despite being one of the less impressive animals visually, the goat has a seriously cool looking skull and that’s been ramped up to 11 by Portland, Oregon based tattoo artist, Kiana Roo, whose work can be seen at Kangaroo Paw Tattoo.

The new coin producer is SM Mint, an extension of a US coin dealer who runs from an EBay store called Son-Montuno. Their website will be up shortly and we look forward to what comes next after this impressive debut.

2015LUN-SMM.jpg
DESIGN

The front of the coin features a high-relief depiction of a goat skull drawn head on by tattoo artist Kiana Roo, whose signature is integrated into the artwork. Surrounding this are inscriptions featuring the series name, the series subject, the date, and the composition.

The obverse features the emblem of the Republic of Ghana, a country which currently has a relatively low profile in the numismatic market. The denomination of 5 Ghanaian Cedis is around $1.50 USD for those interested.

Each coin is engraved with a unique serial number that will match the supplied Certificate of Authenticity, a nice touch. It will be available in two finishes; a proof with a run of 500, and a Brilliant Uncirculated/Satin finish with a larger mintage of 2,000.

At present we’ve only seen artwork, but being struck in high-relief we’ve high expectations that the finished article will be worth it.

SON-MONTUNO MINT

Son-Montuno has been operating on eBay for coming up to fifteen years now selling a wide variety of mainly precious metal coins, earning a 100% feedback rating of almost 6,000. They’ve now taken the bold step of commissioning and selling their own coins through a new company called Son-Montuno (SM) Mint.

This first coin has been a huge hit, selling out batches of proof coins in a matter of hours since its debut a few days ago. The BU coins also seem to be flying out, so clearly a coin with great potential for appreciation and a highly promising debut for the new company.

Websites are currently being set up for both www.smmint.com and www.skullcoins.com, but at present just click the blue button at the end of the article to hit their eBay store.

The price of the proof has risen from $89 to $179 as stocks deplete, and they’re still selling, so if you want a proof in particular, don’t hang about.

SPECIFICATION DENOMINATION 5 CEDIS COMPOSITION 0.999 SILVER WEIGHT 31.10 g SIZE 38.61 mm FINISH PROOF / BRILLIANT UNCIRCULATED MINTAGE 500 / 2,000 ARTIST KIANA ROO BOX / COA NO / YES (SERIALISED TO MATCH COIN)

Wow! What an amazing coin! But I couldn't bring myself to pay $200 for an ounce of silver! Not unless I one the lottery! lol

Probably the one of the best looking coins I have seen!

Cheap as chips Sham compared to the lunar 1 proofs :lol:

It is a very nice coin though and will appeal greatly to my son unfortunately for me.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

I like the thinking behind it; do something different, and maybe subvert an existing trope: All these "lunar this, lunar that, year of whatever" are quite similar, and this is definitely not in the same vein. However like a lot of releases, it seems they have tried to build in some "collectible-ness" (yeah I know...) which is something that annoys the hell out of me, and reminds me too much of those "collectors items" often to be found on the back of the magazines that are shoved in to the Sunday papers. The price is exorbitant and thus they can do one.

• 2 weeks later...

THE MOST POPULAR QUESTION AND OUR ANSWER IS...

"Will you be issuing different sizes and variations of the Ghana 2015 Lunar
Skulls Year of the Goat coin? Will we see 2oz, 5oz, gilded, antique
finish, colorized, gold or other versions in the future?

AND THE ANSWER IS....
NO - ABSOLUTELY NOT!

We understand how so many collectors feel jaded and cheated by national and private mints.
We fully understand that issuing more variants after the initial release is NOT how to treat your
good customers and is exactly the wrong way to build a quality reputation. We find it absolutely
insulting that "trusted" mints dilute past mintages by issuing variants and putting re-strikes
on the current market. We will also keep an archive of all past and present issues on the SMmint
website so people can check in there to see what was officially released and the mintage numbers.

In addition, we are also making sure that everyone that gets a coin in hand
will fully understand what was issued and what they are holding:
Each COA will have all variations of the coin listed with mintage numbers.This means that the PROOF and BU versions of this coin will share the same COA but each
certificate will be numbered to reflect the coin you own. This, combined with the numbering on
each coin, PROOF and BU, along with web posted archives will help make sure there is no
confusion about what we released and how many of them are out there.

For instance, if you see third party gilded or colorized versions of this coin, 
you can be sure that those are NOT official SMmint products and are
nothing other than a fake or a purposely damaged coin with little collector value.
SMmint is dedicated to our customers and our products, this is our number 1 priority!

WE APPRECIATE YOUR SUPPORT
ALL OF OUR 2015 LUNAR SKULLS PROOF COIN CUSTOMERS WILL
AUTOMATICALLY HAVE A RESERVATION FOR THE 1ST ISSUE OF OUR
NEXT SERIES AND WILL ALSO RECEIVE A SPECIAL OFFER.
IT IS OUR WAY TO SAY...
"THANK YOU!"
Please see my other listings for more great coins & treasures

WHEN YOU CLICK THIS LINK

Thanks and happy bidding!

PRESALECoins are expected to ship approximately in the middle
of January immediately after received & hot off the press

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PROOF-2015-G...AT-1oz-Silver-High-Relief-Coin-/381094897519?

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Chris Duane and the Silver Shield team are getting in on the rage against the lunar movement.

Due for release later this month

$_12.JPG

LOL. Love it. Got to get me some of these :) It''l be fun watching out for the next in the series. Monkey and Rooster next.   

If any of you regular Silver Shield bullion fans one is thinking of getting any, I'd be interested to tag a little order on top of yours and split the shipping costs 

There's also this one called, Non Vie Virtute Vici.

I've got both on order and will have tubes available. Just message if you're interested but I will put them in the for sale section when they arrive.

post-70-0-89787900-1420739033_thumb.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

"things are moving along well, proofs are either done or just about done. the project manager will be coming back from the Berlin show early next week and will give us an update when he is back!"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROOF-2015-GHANA-Lunar-Skulls-YEAR-OF-THE-GOAT-1oz-Silver-High-Relief-Coin-/201277023576?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2edd0ba558#ht_2760wt_1153post-207-0-32395900-1422840835.jpg

Archived