• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How can i tell for sure if it's silver?

MickB

This silver bar I managed to get in Croatia at a flea market for the equivalent of a fiver a couple of years ago.

It's an award for wine producing back in 1970.

It's not magnetic, weighs 208 grams & when dropped it even has the silver 'ring' to it.

It may sound silly but how else can I tell if it's silver?post-312-0-15276700-1415647163_thumb.jpg

Hi Mick, I find the best way is to hold the bar at a 45 degree angle and drop a rare earth magnet down, if it's silver the magnet will find some resistance, it wont just fall at free fall speed.

Only problem with that Garthy, some alloys present a similar trait, so it's not quite as certain as it could be.

Agree it's a good test amongst the arsenal of others that can be performed.

Stacker since 2013

Hi Mick, I find the best way is to hold the bar at a 45 degree angle and drop a rare earth magnet down, if it's silver the magnet will find some resistance, it wont just fall at free fall speed.

Hi garthy, wow! The rare earth magnet done as you said. Haven't got any acid to carry out testing, Danny-boy.

My wife pointed out a word on the box that said; 'Srebrna', which means silver when translated.

Being just over seven ounces it looks like I've picked up the best bargain yet for my stacking :)

Only problem with that Garthy, some alloys present a similar trait, so it's not quite as certain as it could be.

If that's the case, what could it be instead, although it's looking favourably towards being silver?

If that's the case, what could it be instead, although it's looking favourably towards being silver?

I can't remember which specific alloys or materials have a similar diamagnetism but I read it somewhere.

This is why it may not be the best isolated test, but is good when combined with others.

It does look like it'll be silver though, great purchase.

Stacker since 2013

I was wondering what the silver content could be. If there are others similar to this the next time I'm out in Croatia, it should be worth my while picking them up, as long as they are as cheap as I bought this one.

I was wondering what the silver content could be. If there are others similar to this the next time I'm out in Croatia, it should be worth my while picking them up, as long as they are as cheap as I bought this one.

Take a magnet with you to give you an initial test, along with the ping.

Stacker since 2013

I've just did some reading on the subject, something I didn't know is a rare earth magnet finds resistance because silver induces an electrical current, a less conductive metal will not produce enough kinetic energy to slow the magnet, also you're right Dan copper also has the same property, I just tried it.

There's also the ice cube test, silver has the highest thermal conductivity of any metal, if you place an ice cube on you're bar the ice should melt unnaturally fast, that's if it's silver.  

I would measure it as best I could to determine its volume.

Divide its weight in grams by its volume and convert to grams per cubic centimetre.

That is density and fine silver has a density of 10.5 g/ cc3

For comparison copper is 8.9

Measuring the volume might be tricky so the best method is to determine the specific gravity but you will need to look up another thread for the technique.

It is simple and should be straightforward with your bar.

Yes, I thought it was copper but couldn't remember for certain.

And remember that brass is partly copper, and is very commonly used as a core in some fake bars, usually the 1oz minted type. It's something to watch out for because it means the magnet test in isolation is not 100% reliable.

Copper and Alu will both exhibit this property very well too, as will Bismuth (heavier than lead) so could easily make up for Silver where as Alu would struggle.

brass... i`m not sure about that, the Zinc could destroy the magnetic effect that would be present in the copper.

Archived