• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2014 Perth Mint 1/2 ounce Great White Shark

ChrisSilver

• Founder & Administrator

post-1-0-36301200-1396015702.jpg
excuse the poor photo, its a screen shot from Apmex's video, and the coin is only briefly showed in a brief glimmer, I tried several times but couldn't get the timing any better.

These are supposed to be released by Apmex on the 31st of March 2014, This is a Apmex "exclusive" according to the Apmex sales lady

Somehow someone has made a youtube video of one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybDip_aaLsI

These coins come in square tubes, and not in capsules.

Apmex was unable to tell me the mintage, only that it is "limited" and that there will be a 1/2 coin only. However, the tubes that they come in are big enough externally to hold 1oz coins (the 1/2 coin tubes have moulded plastic inside to keep the 1/2 coins centred. So there is a possibility they could make a 1oz coin of some sort for these tubes as well.

Shame they won't have a 1ounce coin out at the same time. I would have definitely bought some 1ounce ones.

Not so sure about 1/2 ounce, I don't know what the premium is going to be like. It's supposed to be a bullion coin.

And I am not sure if tubes without capsules are a good thing or a bad thing.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Video has been removed by user mate. Probably broke a rule. 

He now probably used to work for Perth Mint. lol

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

lol. I really wanted to see this, big fan of the great white.

Apmex has a video, briefly shows the coin at the end.

Discounts / Offers

Thanks chris, i think i just might have to grab some of these.

Same. Depending on price though. If they are good bullion prices then yeah, but I have a feeling the premiums will be high. Premiums on 1/2 coins always seem to be high.

Discounts / Offers

I too am fascinated by the Great White Shark but as you say there tends to be a pretty hefty premium on half ounce coins, but that said because it is the Great White Shark I may well buy one or maybe two.

Cheers

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

I couldent take it, I bought these coins over the falcons, the very cheap maple leafs (2.30 over spot price) I bought 3 tubes + 1 for myself, Which I might actually give away on these forums to one lucky winner, depends on how nice I feel lol :P

I might actually flog them on Ebay for around £15 per coin not  including delivery once they have sold out, or as soon as I get them, haven't made my mind up yet. 

Yes This is a series, and APPARENTLY if these sell well, meaning sold out, they will bring out the 1 oz variant, which will be HEAVEN. 

I think they are testing the market with this and if it does, the 1 oz will become either a low mintage with high price, and same finish as the lunar series, or 1 million mintage with the same look as the half oz. 

Ya know, I'm just not feeling these coins. They might be cheap but they are not good looking! The design does nothing for me. So as I am not in a position to be buying and selling a great deal at the moment I think I will just leave these well alone.

A Link is available as of this morning. Also if you look at Ebay.com there are a few already out for sale in North America thus you can judge the ask price.  Picture also below for those viewing behind a firewall

Upwards of 300k, Perth Mint item, sharks seem to appeal to a wide audience, may be the first in a new series?  

Have take a punt and order a few tubes along with some other items and for short term storage in the USA prior to bring these back 

post-23-0-76825700-1397208381_thumb.jpg

Ya know, I'm just not feeling these coins. They might be cheap but they are not good looking! The design does nothing for me. So as I am not in a position to be buying and selling a great deal at the moment I think I will just leave these well alone.

I agree with Shamatti. I don't think the design is anything spectacular - looks a bit basic (look at the detail on the two smaller sharks). I won't be buying any but, each to their own!

If they make a 1oz version I might get one. They will probably release them in the same tubes, which is a shame, I like the capsules.

Not sure if this coin was commissioned by Apmex? Or if perth mint are just testing the waters with a new coin low cost bullion coin.

They probably intend to make this a low cost coin to compete with other low cost bullion coins. They can offer slightly better prices because of the reduced costs of not putting them in capsules, reduced material costs, reduced shipping costs.

Discounts / Offers

It must just be me, but IMO the Great White Shark coin is a poor design and compared to other Perth Mint coins the detail is also lacking. Maybe the next shark coin will be better.  A more appropriate  cheaper coin could of been of some of Australia's not so grand Animals for example they could of used the Dingo or the budgie.

It must just be me, but IMO the Great White Shark coin is a poor design and compared to other Perth Mint coins the detail is also lacking. Maybe the next shark coin will be better. A more appropriate cheaper coin could of been of some of Australia's not so grand Animals for example they could of used the Dingo or the budgie.

The lack of detail probably makes it cheaper to mint.

I am with you about the design though, thats why I decided not to stack any. I will buy a single 1oz one if they are released. But I think the 1oz will be a crocodile?

I am sticking with kooks, koalas, and lunars to stack. As well as a few pandas :)

Discounts / Offers

• 3 weeks later...

Archived