• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What was your worst buy?

MAXlMUS

Hi Guys,

If you are lucky enough never to have cocked up and paid over the odds for some silver ot gold I salute you.

I will start the ball rolling I bought a 1/20 gold panda 2008 for £102 when the spot was £875.  I misread the ebay advert through my excitement!!

Max

All silver bought between April 2011 and September 2011 when spot peaked at £28 and bullion coins were selling at well over £30 per ounce.

You are quite upset at that aren't you Pete.

My prediction, in 10 years you will look back and wish you could buy again at £30 an ounce.

Stacker since 2013

I have no idea what "carry on" means in UK slang but I agree

Obviously never heard of Sid James....   Try googling for Carry on on the Buses and see if you can find any of the 'Carry On'  films as they are still funny to this day. 

I payed over the odds for a First Strike MS70 Lunar Dragon, just the regular bullion version at almost £50, though to be fair a certain coin co in London is asking almost £200 for the same slabbed coin!

I have no idea what "carry on" means in UK slang but I agree

Its a reference to Barbara Windsor's boobs in one of the carry on films.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Mine has to be a 1oz silver JM bar from the states. Only ordered one, thought it was cheap at the time, and then had to pay duties and a post office charge. Finished up costing me best part of £40!!

You are quite upset at that aren't you Pete.

My prediction, in 10 years you will look back and wish you could buy again at £30 an ounce.

You bet I am upset -

( a ) because I was stacking fast & furious at the time based on the "gurus" in the PM industry advising that's the best thing to do as the global economies were collapsing,

and

( b ) had I not stacked then, I could now buy twice as much today,

and

( c ) I could have been enjoying running a newer car

and

( d ) I have to keep this secret from my good lady who would most likely pickle my gonads if she found out.

Gold wedding ring for my x wife

Hi Guys,

If you are lucky enough never to have cocked up and paid over the odds for some silver ot gold I salute you.

I will start the ball rolling I bought a 1/20 gold panda 2008 for £102 when the spot was £875.  I misread the ebay advert through my excitement!!

Max

Gold wedding ring for my X wife was my worst buy :lol:

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

I don't buy anything with boobs i am worried about milk spots.

The only regret i have i wish i stuck to just 1 oz silver Eagles.I know it's boring but i have a monster box and it would look cool on retirement to own a full box.Now i am just trying to put 500oz in it of what ever lights my candle for what ever reason at the time now.

I have seen a you tube clip of a man with a full monster box of all sorts and it looks just as cool and to be fare probably be worth more with some premium stuff mixed in.

Being realistic i don't think we should regret any off it, i think we fall out of love with some things we bought, but hey it is in our stack that is a preservation of the money we would of spent on who knows what, i used to carp fish and i spent hundreds if not more on it, a tenner on the lake bed every time i went in bait.

My worst buy is probably believe it or not my 2oz Perth Mint lunar snake coin....I really like the coin, but think that the Perth Mint lunar coins are really overpriced! That's why i never bought anymore...I'm happy to buy the RM lunar series instead! :)

Not sure I would avoid the Perth Mint coins.

The quality is excellent and they do resell at a premium compared to other bullion coins.

For comparison on June 18, 2013 silver spot was £13.96

On that day I purchased from a German dealer ( 7% VAT ) several different coins

(a) 2 oz snake ( i.e. your worst purchase ) at £19.01 per oz

(B) Maple at £17.68 per oz

That is a 7.5 % difference so not so bad is it ?

Not sure I would avoid the Perth Mint coins.

The quality is excellent and they do resell at a premium compared to other bullion coins.

For comparison on June 18, 2013 silver spot was £13.96

On that day I purchased from a German dealer ( 7% VAT ) several different coins

(a) 2 oz snake ( i.e. your worst purchase ) at £19.01 per oz

( B) Maple at £17.68 per oz

That is a 7.5 % difference so not so bad is it ?

I think i bought the 2oz snake around the same time paying around £26.00 per oz..... thus making it my worst purchase ;)

I well over paid!

Though i'm not avoiding the Perth Mint coins, just the lunar series. The other Perth Mint coins which sell for much less than the lunar series i think are a decent buy.

• Founder & Administrator

I think i bought the 2oz snake around the same time paying around £26.00 per oz..... thus making it my worst purchase ;)

I well over paid!

Though i'm not avoiding the Perth Mint coins, just the lunar series. The other Perth Mint coins which sell for much less than the lunar series i think are a decent buy.

In my opinion the lunar series are well worth the extra premium, they hold there premiums well. Just take a look at the going market prices for some of the older of the series 2 lunar coins. Some of them have gained quite a bit in premiums.

They give you a good potential to make a good percentage return in only a few years.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

• Founder & Administrator

Probably this:

attachicon.gifIMG_2210.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2211.JPG

That's quite a nice coin. Apart from the Santa privy mark.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Archived