• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What would you do?

So I have some money saved, and will be making a buy sooner or later, without giving exact figure's its roughly a grand, 

So my options are buy some cheap silver from Silver to go, 10oz koalas or a  few kilo kookaburra's or something similar, Silver has lost more of its value compared to gold and at a silver gold ratio of 72-1 silvers very tempting..However resale is a pain..Even from silver to go there's roughly a 30% premium inc delivery, and whilst this may be retained It also may not.

Or walk down to the bullion center, buy some sovereigns, this seems more risky as it seems gold has further potential downside, however premium is low, I can go in person and have negotiated a pound of per coin due to collecting and them not needing to post - I can also choose a decade from 1900 upwards and select the coins personally. and they have a 100% of spot buy back promise for coins bought from them, so Should i wish to sell its as easy as a five min walk for instant cash 100% of spot (should the company still be trading) otherwise its going to be less elsewhere. 

My totals held right now is 388 oz silver , 28g gold. 

What would you do in my position? I understand ultimately its my choice and I will have to live with the outcome but I'm interested what you guys would do in my position.

your Gold holding is 28g x 23.5 spot = £658

Your Silver Holding is 388oz x 10.056 = £3901.72

On these figures I would buy Gold myself but it is up to you. If you are right and silver is near the bottom you are standing in a strong position, then buy Silver, if you want to be more cautious then either buy Gold or a mix. 

In your position MH having struck up a relationship with your local dealer I'd buy 3 sovereigns of your choice now & hold on to the rest of your cash for a week or two to see what transpires.

I know you sell a few bits and pieces of your collection now and again, so holding a decent wedge of cash might be prudent in case that dream coin/coins comes your way then you won't have to sell anything.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

In your position with the amount of silver you have already I would buy gold.

And your probably the forth person I've read on here within the last week whose mentioned resale worries for silver which is certainly making me think too, although I'm the opposite to you at the moment with far more gold than Silver.

In your position with the amount of silver you have already I would buy gold.

And your probably the forth person I've read on here within the last week whose mentioned resale worries for silver which is certainly making me think too, although I'm the opposite to you at the moment with far more gold than Silver.

I think resale for silver is ok but you have to under price things to get a quick sale, and I certainly don't like the hassle of selling on ebay with the risks involved, and any bullion buyer will always pay under spot (or maybe a few pence over for semi numismatic) making that initial premium hard to recover, but It has the most potential for crazy price rise I think.

With silver potential to spike like crazy and drop like a lead balloon a quick exit strategy is pretty damn important IMO. 

I think golds looking the right buy, I appreciate all the opinions its making my decision a bit easier.

I think silver. Or a mix. Your gold holdings are stronger than mine. I am 300/10 so next to you a little gold light. But with prices so low I can't not buy silver now. I have an order lines up for just over a grand, 20 grams of gold and 35 ounces of silver.

I grew up with the idea of "spend a third, save a third, and use a third".

so for me £333 would go on a tube of maples (I think 333 will do it), buy 1.5 Sovs (333 should do that too), and keep the rest as fiat for now.

that`s what I would do anyway :)

I keep looking at the silver price and keep thinking I should really buy more silver....BUT....I keep coming back to the exit strategy, how do i sell my Silver quickly. I can't get much more than spot value if I want a fast sale from a bullion dealer, and to break even on my current silver purchases, I need silver to rise by 72%.

Yep that's right, I need silver to go up by over 70% just to get anywhere close to what i paid for it, if I sell to a bullion dealer. Ok, I know I can probably break even or perhaps make a little profit, even today, if I traded on ebay. But it's time consuming, a pain, would probably get ripped off at least once or twice by scammers whilst selling my stack. We may only get a limited window of a month or two at high prices in order to make a maximum return, such is the volatility of silver,  

Gold on the other hand is much more stable in price, currently I only need gold to rise by 11% to break even, and selling at spot is very easy to get from a number of dealers. I could make a fraction more selling on ebay, less chance of getting ripped off because the value of the coins means that people are more prepared to accept the cost of the coin being sent by special delivery, (try offering someone a special delivery option on a single silver bullion coin, and see how many takers you get). 

Storage is a no brainer.... £100,000 (my target in PM's by the time I retire), would be 307 Kilos of silver at current spot price, well try hiding that anywhere other than a secure vault, (and i ain't burying in them thar hills for any detectorists to dig up). Gold on the other hand is just over 4kg. an amount that can be easily hid in a variety of places at work or at home. (Or even under that special rock in the garden  :) )

I'll still tinker with silver, but for practicality, I just can't see past gold as being the perfect metal to stack

I watch a lot of prison movies HT, and even I can't imagine where you would hide 4 kilo's about your person :0

Unless that was you I saw at the Highland Games on Bute?

post-260-0-11195800-1415050398.jpg

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

Ah, Bute, that brings back memories. My best mates Dad was born on the Isle of Bute, and we had some great camping holidays there. Eating the best ice cream ever, made by Lena Zavaronis dad, in their famous ice cream shop in Rothesay.  

Never had any silver or gold on my person though.......what was I thinking    :rolleyes:

Well i just sold 40 ounces of premium stuff to fund this buy so at the least I think I should replace those:P 2 tubes of 2013 libertads is looking pretty tempting, could go for noah's arks but potential there for spotting.

I have been filling and emptying my silver to go cart for hours now   :rolleyes:  keep coming to something like this..

21 noahs ark               - £260.19

20 kookaburra 2015    - £274.80

25 libertad 2013          - £313.50

1 x 10 oz koala            - £122.05

TOTAL PRICE (including delivery)981.49 £

If im going to buy i feel I should go big or the average price per coin rises, but If i go all in thats it im done for some time. I Dont know why im uming and ahhing so much as a while ago these prices would have been a dream come true. -  average landed price of £12.91 per oz.

Maybe I should appease the OCD gods by actually just buying Something! lol.

Well i just sold 40 ounces of premium stuff to fund this buy so at the least I think I should replace those:P 2 tubes of 2013 libertads is looking pretty tempting, could go for noah's arks but potential there for spotting.

I have been filling and emptying my silver to go cart for hours now   :rolleyes:  keep coming to something like this..

21 noahs ark               - £260.19

20 kookaburra 2015    - £274.80

25 libertad 2013          - £313.50

1 x 10 oz koala            - £122.05

TOTAL PRICE (including delivery)981.49 £

If im going to buy i feel I should go big or the average price per coin rises, but If i go all in thats it im done for some time. I Dont know why im uming and ahhing so much as a while ago these prices would have been a dream come true. -  average landed price of £12.91 per oz.

Maybe I should appease the OCD gods by actually just buying Something! lol.

You've got £18.51 left over from a grand, I'm sure you can squeeze another ounce into the order. :) 

For reference, spot price when ordered £10.00 exact

Ok guys so I ended up going with 4 x 10oz koala and a single noahs ark. £511 landed and a average price per ounce of  £12.46

The Libertad's were tempting me, but I didn't like the fact that the "second choice" Libertad's were exactly the same price, I didn't want untubed scratched coins So I have mailed STG to find out and can factor that into the next order. 

I wanted to buy something, I thought it might not be a good idea to get several noah's ark tubes without ever having seen one in person, so grabbed one to check out. 

Since I sold some premium coins to Buy cheap bullion I felt the kookaburras were a bit to much at over £1.50 per ounce more than the 10 oz koalas and a 40% premium to spot,Though they may end up being the best buy in time. 

So the ten oz koala x 4, Perth mint coins are all beautiful (though admittedly the design not so much!), the finish Should be superb, already protected in plastic caps and the cheapest price per ounce I could see. easily stack-able and will no doubt be impressive coins to hold. Not as liquid as one ounce coins but the Finish does somewhat make up for that. I also see the 2015 10 oz koalas are a different finish so I guess these could be the last "proof like" 10 oz ones, unpopular design may make for poor sales and low declared mintage, but ultimately they were the cheapest per oz.

So ended up spending just less than half my money, I ended up replacing to the ounce all ounces sold to get the funds for this. and still have £700 on standby to wait and see where the price goes, maybe buy some sovereigns..and generally just think some more. But I am glad I at least did something.

I appreciate all the advice and opinions everyone thank you:) 

Ah, Bute, that brings back memories. My best mates Dad was born on the Isle of Bute, and we had some great camping holidays there. Eating the best ice cream ever, made by Lena Zavaronis dad, in their famous ice cream shop in Rothesay.  

Never had any silver or gold on my person though.......what was I thinking    :rolleyes:

Lena Zavaroni  herself sells the ice creams there now.

Ten ounce Koalas! Each unto their own I suppose.

So ended up spending just less than half my money, I ended up replacing to the ounce all ounces sold to get the funds for this. and still have £700 on standby to wait and see where the price goes, maybe buy some sovereigns..and generally just think some more. But I am glad I at least did something.

I appreciate all the advice and opinions everyone thank you:) 

Nice one MH its always nice to have a bit of fiat firepower left for the future coin purchases.Them sovs you've got your eye on are still well within your grasp and a bit cheaper too.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Archived