• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

10oz Silver Bar Poll

Hamster

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I always used to wonder about the preference for different brands of silver billion bars amongst stackers. For example and 10oz PAMP can sell for a 40% premium over spot where as say an OPM sells for 14% over spot. They're bot 10oz's of silver and both sell. So what exactly is the pecking order.

I ran a 10oz bar poll a year ago for stackers in Perth. There were 20 of us who completed ballot papers and they were audited by a qualified auditor who was present for the duration of the poll.

A 10oz Kookaburra was also included in the poll and the thinking was that a low premium, readily available coin will probably come into consideration when making a purchase. Interestingly, the 10oz coin won. That was despite 4 voters giving the coin the lowest possible score. I guess there are those who couldn't be bothered with stacking a fragile item.

I've attached a copy of the ballot and results in the silver bar gallery section. Not sure if it's the right place and couldn't work out how to attach images to this post. Sorry. Moderators, please feel free to move the images around if necessary.

Not sure how applicable the results will be to other parts of the world but I do hope it makes for interesting reading. I've also got an image of all the bars together that I'll be posting it shorty.

Cheers, Hamster  

gallery_321_4_85500.jpg

i think its not a favourite that wins in the uk , as we have the dreaded vat   so that probably puts the sunshine mint as a first choice for value, dealer buyback ,  we have in the uk  scottsdale stackers , scottsdale reserve, sunshine minting, johnson matthey, pamp, 

if its me i personally would pay the lowest over spot with the dreaded vat 

i like the scottsdale reserve  but cant see why the premium 

• 2 weeks later...

Craig has hit the nail on the head silver bars are not popular here because of the VAT.

Coins we can get VAT free from Germany but bars incur their VAT equivalent so make them expensive landed here.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

i like the scottsdale reserve  but cant see why the premium 

Interesting that the Scottsdale reserve attracts a premium in the UK. The cast version sells for low premium down under. I notice my local bullion dealer dosn't stock the minted version anymore. I'll have to ask him why, but I would suspect low demand, despite it selling at a low premium, when he had stocks.

Craig has hit the nail on the head silver bars are not popular here because of the VAT.

Coins we can get VAT free from Germany but bars incur their VAT equivalent so make them expensive landed here.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense now. I didn't realise the UK government slugged you guys with heavy taxes on bars. What a pity :(  Some of the vintage stuff a_a is referring to above is so damn sexy

Archived