• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold coin color(s) Sovs mainly.

Fluttershy

I`v never seen Sovs before except in pictures, so i`m not sure if it`s just me, but some of them look more Coppery than yellow Goldy colored.

is it true in real life or just variables in the picture taking process?

I like the look of the yellowy ones rather than the coppery ones the most, but most of the cheaper sovs (only by about a fiver) are the coppery colored ones.

Composition

Current sovereigns are struck in the same 22 carat (91⅔%) Crown gold (11/12 gold and 1/12 copper) alloy as the first modern sovereigns of 1817.[14] Alloys are used to make gold coins harder and more durable, so they can resist scratches and dents during handling.

The only time there has been a deviation from this composition was in the production of early Australian sovereigns, which used silver as part of the alloy and in London sovereigns dated 1887, when an additional 1.25% silver was added in order to make the blanks softer for the new Joseph Boehm effigy of Queen Victoria. Consequently, 1887 London Mint sovereigns are more yellow in appearance than other London produced sovereigns. This additional silver affected the amount of copper in the coin, not, of course, its gold content. (Nineteenth century techniques of refining were not as advanced as today, and nineteenth century sovereigns became more accurate in terms of their gold weight as silver — which is often naturally combined with gold — was removed as an impurity from the "pure" gold used. Such minor inconsistencies would not affect either their numismatic or bullion value).

you can get yellow, rose and green gold too, I`v made my own green gold before, another name is Electrum which I`m sure we`ve all heard of.

Thanks for that, at least I know now that it IS an actual color difference and not a camera difference or lighting :)

you can get yellow, rose and green gold too, I`v made my own green gold before, another name is Electrum which I`m sure we`ve all heard of.

Thanks for that, at least I know now that it IS an actual color difference and not a camera difference or lighting :)

They are all alloys not pure gold

Rose gold - gold + copper

green gold - natural alloy of gold and silver

White gold - gold + nickel, manganese or palladium

Grey gold - gold + manganese + copper

The 2002/2005 sovereigns I have are quite coppery, but you don't really notice until you put them next to 24k gold

The 22k Britannias I have are more of a sickly gold colour, the more coppery sovereigns are actually nicer I think

But you actually don't notice by themselves the Britannias are a sickly gold until you put them next to a sovereign

They all look pretty gold by themselves

The 1872 shield back sovereign I have doesn't have the shine of the modern sovereigns and looks a little more "gold"

So in summary I would say: you can't trust pictures, and they all look a nice gold on their own until you put them next to something else. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

I think ( not sure though ) modern sovereigns are pressed differently making them much more lustruous.

The modern alloy is definitely more yellow than coppery.

There could be surface melting either pressing the blanks or stamping the cameo, giving them a more polished finish that defintely makes them look different.

I`v found with gold that even the tiniest amount of base metal will alter it`s color, silver seems to be a Lot more robust in staying silver, aven a 50/50 with copper is only noticable bright daylight.

gold will take less than 10% of any base metal before you have a noticable change in almost any light.

and yet you can have 9CT gold that looks quite gold?

it`s all Voodoo Magic I swear! ;D

I think it is also true that photgraphy makes a big difference in how a coin looks on screen.

There was a thread here not so long ago  - sorry can't remember the name of the guy who posted it - about sending a coin back because it looked nothing like it's photograph, even though it was a photo of the actual coin.

Look through the Today I Bought thread and you will see literally dozens of silver coins that look like gold.

Look at my gorgeous horsies! They are all in the same picture, but because of the angle of the camera they are all a different colour!

Yes, the coins will age because they are not 999 gold. They may have been handled, pocketed even if they are old. But be aware that the way in which they are photographed will also have a remarkable effect on their appearance.

Yes, the coins will age because they are not 999 gold. They may have been handled, pocketed even if they are old. But be aware that the way in which they are photographed will also have a remarkable effect on their appearance.

Depending on how they catch the light (or not), certain angles can hide scratches more than others I've noticed. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Depending on how they catch the light (or not), certain angles can hide scratches more than others I've noticed. 

Indeed. Direct light can wash them out, side lighting can highlight them. Over exposure can reduce surface marks too. Under exposure will deepen the colour of the coin. Under expose by a couple of stops and you will get a rich warm glow to your coin.

Free hint. The same works with sunsets. Under expose by a couple of stops to get deep dark rich colours! ;)

I've two proof sovereigns here, the Sydney mint sovereign is I believe gold and silver which I prefer to the gold and copper.

edit, that's a pretty poor picture and doesn't show a massive deference, I'll do another when the lighting's better.  

post-135-0-49789600-1414922418_thumb.jpg

Archived