• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

premium coins that are good value now and future

craig12

For me the chinease 1oz AU Pandas were a very good hedge against falling POS.

From now looking back to 2008 all years were a must have in each silver coin portfolio.

Even buying them today looks like to me as a invest with a low level of risk.

Todays mintage of pandas looks like too hugh to buy pandas with a premium, but you cant compare

the chinease mintage numbers with the AU coins mintage for exaple.

2012 Panda has a mintage of 8million compared to 300.000 for the Lunar Snake, dragon ...

but only a small number of coins leave china. No idea of numbers

With earlier and very expensive years i have no experiance. Be carful with fakes also.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a few pandas, but have only bought them off bone fide retailers just for the reason you mention at the end of your piece I'd be concerned about fakes. If I were into them I'd buy off guys like yourself and Dave panda, LJS, Arisihimo etc but would never buy them off ebay,as I do not posses the knowledge I have a about lunars and kooks.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

I've got a few pandas, but have only bought them off bone fide retailers just for the reason you mention at the end of your piece I'd be concerned about fakes. If I were into them I'd buy off guys like yourself and Dave panda, LJS, Arisihimo etc but would never buy them off ebay,as I do not posses the knowledge I have a about lunars and kooks.

Yes, i only buy from my local dealer closed sheets. I myself never have seen a fake but also i would not suggest to buy from ebay.

• 4 months later...

A few new members asking about what to buy recently for potential upside without breaking the bank so I thought I'd resurrect this thread.

Proof 1oz RAM roos are still good value as are 1oz proof Kooks, the 2oz Kooks from 2000 onwards are getting very expensive  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400896013406?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They appear to going the same way as the Lunar S1 proofs which could see more people buying the kook 1 ozers, which could in turn lift the prices, although I doubt it will happen as quickly as the S1 proofs all IMHO.

I was hoping to start a year run collection of bullion Roos and noted the later years carry a much higher premium than the earlier years.

As for collectibles the Australian stock horse seems to have gained very well when you look at the 2013 coin price now to what you would have paid on issue from EMK for example. Might be time to get the 2014 and 2015 coins before ( if ) they go the same way.

Just a general question for everyone - do you reckon it's a better future bet to buy a tube of bullion 1 ounce 2015 coins, especially the anniversary 2015 Kookaburra or the RM horse or sheep, or to just bet on two or three of each as a proof? Obviously it's less hassle to sell fewer coins (fewer trips to the post office!) to sell proofs in future , compared to the smaller delta on each bullion coin. I am hedging and trying both approaches with 2014/ 2015 coins. As I have been finishing off a bullion date run of Kooks I can see prices of bullion coins at a decent premium, and am having to pay up to get them! My question is whether this will still be the case in 5 years....

As more exotic collectors pieces I have the NZ Maori Art series - but that's more because I like them!!

Well MB,i had decided just to go for the full date run, so far ive got BU 93 to 98 inclusive and up to 2004 in the proof.

Also picked up the Sydney editions, a 2009 specimen unc Roo at sunset f12 privy,2011 1/5thoz Roo at sunset and the

2013 20th anniversary proof.

I'm still undecided as to weather to do the full run of BU,i want all the variants of the proof first.

I must admit though,the full collection would look lovely,so watch this space... :D

That's what I did as well mate 93-97 in the Bu's and up to date in the proofs,slight cheat I know but saves forking out on the 2007 & 2008 Bu's,they look fantastic as a set only trouble is its another one of those sets that never ends  :)

I've just noticed a recent phenomena on ebay re the NON privy 2oz kook proofs and 2oz kook proof sets especially 98 onwards. They are going up on ebay they get a few bids then the seller takes the coin off & obviously sells it for a knock out bid by PM.This is exactly what has happened with the 2oz S1 lunar proofs.

So hang on to your 2oz proof kooks & sets and try an buy if you see one at a reasonable price. They are the next coins IMHO to take off. There is a big interest in 2oz kook proofs from the US & they seem to be buying everything in sight.

This is an example of what I'm talking about, 2 days ago this coin was bid up to $293 AUD ( about £155) with 5 days to go then suddenly it is withdrawn which is not fair for people bidding on the coin but it is happening more & more on ebay for anything rare and or desirable.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361274111902?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

HT that's a difficult one at this moment in time, especially re the 2oz coins as they seem to be in transition at the moment well to the expensive side of things. if you could get any single 2 oz proof under £100 I would consider that very reasonable. The coins 2000 & after which were making around the £100 mark less than a year ago are making nearer £200 now some more. They are very difficult to find.

Re the 1ozers they have not yet taken off and I would say if you could get any around £40-£50 for the earlier ones & £50-£70 for the ones after 2000 I call that reasonable. But its like anything people can't get what they want so they drop down to the next thing they can get hold of/afford and the price goes up accordingly.

I had a chance to buy a 2004 2oz+1oz kook set about 18 month ago for £145 I didn't buy it because I thought it was too dear. I'll be lucky to get that set for £245 if I could find one, and yes anyone who's got that set I'll pay £245 for it.

Why on earth would someone part with that much money for one ounce?

Maybe because they can..!

Spot on Mick, I can however think of a whole lot of coin buying I would be doing before that one got on my list, assuming money no object of course. An aircraft hanger full of various 1 oz pieces to satisfy the stacking instinct first, then the collector pieces after that. Makes you wonder about the rest of their collection...

HT that's a difficult one at this moment in time, especially re the 2oz coins as they seem to be in transition at the moment well to the expensive side of things. if you could get any single 2 oz proof under £100 I would consider that very reasonable. The coins 2000 & after which were making around the £100 mark less than a year ago are making nearer £200 now some more. They are very difficult to find.

Re the 1ozers they have not yet taken off and I would say if you could get any around £40-£50 for the earlier ones & £50-£70 for the ones after 2000 I call that reasonable. But its like anything people can't get what they want so they drop down to the next thing they can get hold of/afford and the price goes up accordingly.

I had a chance to buy a 2004 2oz+1oz kook set about 18 month ago for £145 I didn't buy it because I thought it was too dear. I'll be lucky to get that set for £245 if I could find one, and yes anyone who's got that set I'll pay £245 for it.

Its horses for courses, IMO with these proof coins what we are seeing is a mini bubble in a falling commodity as silver goes down the easy money has left, other money is looking around at where the  value is and its in proof coins, but remember if the bottom falls out of the market the price will fall a lot further than the silver commodity market has fallen.  If you buy a proof coin because you like them and you are a collector and you sell some (flip) then fine, just remember a market that has already risen 70% in 18 months you are not in early, you may make a fortune or you may lose a fortune.  

Ask yourself one question before you buy.  If the price is going to go up (dead cert) why is the seller selling the coin? surely he/she would hold until the price went up for a few more months!!!!! 

These are just my thoughts I am a stacker who also buys Perth mint  BU and Pandas.  I own one set of Libertads proofs not because I think they will be worth a lot of money but because I like the look of them. If you disagree with me then fine but I would not like to see anyone get badly stung without going into buying proofs to flip knowing that you may lose a lot of money.  Anyway you may make a lot of money.

I am a collector & I am not concerned whether the price of coins in my collection goes up or down.I'm just saying it as I see things or to be more precise have experienced things.Re selling coins again from my own experience I have sold a few of my Lunar S1 spares to fund other collectable coins I require for my collection.

But as Pipers says if you are looking to make a quick buck out of proofs think carefully about what you buy I have many proof coins in my collection that have more than doubled over the last 2 years but that demand may or may not continue.As a collector i'm not bothered one way or the other I like my coins and have no intention ever of selling them apart from spares.I buy coins because  I like them and enjoy hunting down the more elusive coins.

But anyway we are talking about what is good value and I think the 1oz proof Kooks are very good value & no one is going to loose their shirts on half a dozen or so Kooks.

Archived