• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

premium coins that are good value now and future

craig12

dipped my toe into uncharted terrirtory this week and bought a 2 oz lunar horse for £35.01 could i ask members please on their thoughts on what would be a sort of safe bet coin where by you pay a little higher premium , but in a way you lock in that extra  premium by reselling some years later

i sometimes struggle with the panda pheonominum  

i understand the brits but canrt quite comprehend why they cost more on older years when they were i believe 925 silver

the special rounds like freedom girl zombucks, i think are for the purists or collectors

so i suppose that leaves the rm lunar series, and the  lunar australia mint coins

i am no expert in silver coins , so could i please ask what coins or series represents good value(although theyre slightly higher than other coins) 

but in the near future youre not going to lose , should you choose to sell privatley or through a forum 

regards craig

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i understand the brits but canrt quite comprehend why they cost more on older years when they were i believe 925 silver

Can't help you with your main question. That's for the collectors to answer, but the brits were actually 0.9583 silver which is actually known as Britannia silver. Britannia silver has been around since the 18th century

i dont know danny , prob a british thing , the thing is with the brits , when i bought some of a fellow stacker , and held it , the coin nearly freaked me out, cgt free as well 

so shiny not like any other coin , mirror like finish , i once listened to a you tube clip , i cant remeber who it was but they swore by buying coins from your own country

so for excample  uk residents buy brits, rm lunars, sovs 

australian citizens  lunar, etc etc

When I first started buying silver I just went for the cheapest, metalor bars, maples and eagles which I know now was a a mistake, if I would've bought perth mint lunars my stack would now be worth double what it's now.

By paying a little more you can hedge against the silver price going down, so personally I'd recommend perth mint lunars, kookaburras especially this years, also pandas are good, I have a feeling the uk lunars will do well also but time will tell, I don't see the britannias doing so well while the design stays the same, if they start changing the designs snap them up.

Ebay is your first call for info, decide on a list of say 10 coins, go to completed listings ( you will find that a lot of coins are sold OFF ebay, so gives a better idea) Go back 10 years in search I.e start with say a 1 oz lunar 2015, then go back through the years and see the average resale price for each year and the appreciation if any . Chinese pandas were good ,but not this year with the changes ,might be worth picking up extra 2014 year,( I have) also Brits were good until the change. Lots of coins out there ,stick to main mints and money denominated coins. And do you own bloody homework it's taken me years to learn,and I'm still learning

Have a look at the Sydney 2000 Olympic proofs, beautiful coins,they usually make £25-£40 on ebay some of the buy it nows are a bit OTT but people have been buying them.

The total mintage for each coin is 100,000 and they sold as singles and in various sets. If you buy any it doesn't matter if they have case or certs they still make the same money. There are 16 in the set & they were minted jointly between Perth mint and RAM

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Have a look at the Sydney 2000 Olympic proofs, beautiful coins,they usually make £25-£40 on ebay some of the buy it nows are a bit OTT but people have been buying them.

The total mintage for each coin is 100,000 and they sold as singles and in various sets. If you buy any it doesn't matter if they have case or certs they still make the same money. There are 16 in the set & they were minted jointly between Perth mint and RAM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTRALIA-SYDNEY-2000-OLYMPIC-16-COIN-5-999-SILVER-PROOF-SET-complete-/161454046751?pt=UK_Coins_World_RL&hash=item2597693e1f

Enough to make you drool and not a bad price looking at the prices you quote 

Where was that Danny?

One of my contacts I have made on eBay.

I only have his mobile number and I'm reticent to give that out, shall I text him and ask if he has more & if so then I can ask if I can pass his number on?

Stacker since 2013

Have a look at the Sydney 2000 Olympic proofs, beautiful coins,they usually make £25-£40 on ebay some of the buy it nows are a bit OTT but people have been buying them.

Nice, I like those a lot.

Stacker since 2013

Contact them and make sure they have them in stock before you order though.

HH

Yes when I ordered mine I did not notice theere was a two week wait, but it did not matter as I was away any how. They are at home waiting for me now.

Its dues to mintage, some of the early Brits had mintage in the 40,000 range, but now they are "mint to order" you can expect the new .999 coins to have much much higher mintage.

Just noticed this on STG's sister company Coininvest.

https://www.coininvest.com/en/silver-coins/lunar-series-uk/lunar-year-of-the-sheep-1oz-silver-2015-uk/

£16.26 after VAT, but before delivery. And of course can pay in pounds into a UK bank, saving transfer costs.

Not bad really.....

HT

Mine were 16.76 GBP landed but I did order 50 oz at that time.

Archived