• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Old 1/2 Sovereign

Hillbilly Sheep

As you know, or maybe not, I've just started collecting and got my first 1oz Silver Britannia the other day.

My wife remembered that she had an old 1/2 gold sovereign she was given about 35 years ago.

Its been put into a mount to be used as a necklace.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on it.

Should it be kept in the mount ?  Taken out and cleaned ?  What would you say is the value (not that it's getting sold) ?

The weight without the chain is just over 5g

Thanks for any thoughts.

Hope the pics look OK.

post-293-0-66965900-1414011446_thumb.jpg

post-293-0-87244600-1414011489_thumb.jpg

Well it looks like you've got a nice heavy gold mount and chain. Depending on what carat the gold is, the mount and chain could be worth £100+. The coin itself is worth about £90 at spot value. 

I would leave it as it is, but i would take it to a dealer just to see what the mount and chain is worth. 

I shouldn't really answer this because I'm guessing.

But I guesstimate: £110-30 on ebay 

I'm sure someone will come along and ask relevant questions about the carat of the mount and chain and be able to give you a much better answer.

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Regular bullion half sovereign.

Check the daily price on HGM's website for market price e.g. spot +4%.

If selling to a dealer you might get 98% of spot.

Price of necklace is dependant on weight and carat which should be stamped on the holder and chain.

If you cannot remove the coin assume a weight of 3.9 grams for the coin by itself.

Again you can get an instant value by entering this data as if selling to HGM.

Selling privately you might achieve a bit more but remember to deduct fees.

Don't split the coin from the mount and chain, take to a we buy gold place , get them to value the sovereign and mount together, and the chain separately , go to a couple of places, ignore the value they put on both, just get them to verify the gold quality. Selling chain, sovereign in mount all together should realise 20% or more in private resale, more on ebay .

Archived