• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold nugget help and advice

jazzman

All mined gold contains impurities and/or additional metal  

Initial smelting ( as opposed to refining)  removes a large amount of these impurities/other metals and an XRF spectrum is able to perform an assay test to ascertain fineness

Raw gold usually has a fineness of  between 14 and 18 karat

There is no real way you can verify its authenticity except trust.

Unless you want to do the acid  or assay test but then it will be ruined, the other prohibitively expensive. If you did test it and it was a fake I am not you would be able to return it as it is not in "original condition". I could see both sides of the argument there.

You pays your money you takes your chance!!!!

Look for nuggets from Victoria in Australia, they have a good purity, and a lot get found my metal detector enthusiasts who sell on ebay. There is a good chance you will get a good deal, better than picking one up from a random seller. Worth the slight increase in postage cost in my opinion! Western Australia has a lot too, but my, admittedly limited understanding, is that the Bendigo area is the area to be looking at for good quality nuggets.

I liked the look of these, but they are too uncertain for my liking.

I want something with a purity and weight stamped on it, and if that comes with a 5% premium then so be it.

If you are unsure about buying one, so will other buyers be when you come to sell it.

Stacker since 2013

I liked the look of these, but they are too uncertain for my liking.

I want something with a purity and weight stamped on it, and if that comes with a 5% premium then so be it.

If you are unsure about buying one, so will other buyers be when you come to sell it.

That is so true Danny, i never thought about it that way, thanks for helping me put that one to bed.

Archived