• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

I am leaving the world of Silver Stacking..............

HighlandTiger

............well almost  :D

I've been reviewing the reasons why I got into PM's in the first place, and it seems I've let the lure of silver "profits" cloud my judgement.

The reason I'm buying PM's is that all my life I've been crap at saving, or put another way I've been absolutely brilliant at spending, (mostly on the kids, grandkids and my various collections), but with 15 or so years to retirement and only a couple of tiny pension pots to my name, I had to do something.

I needed something where I could satisfy my spending urges whilst saving at the same time, and PM's seemed to be the ideal answer. The problem for me though is not the buying of the PM's and waiting 10 or 15 years for them to "mature", its the exit strategy. And this is where I am having a problem with Silver. Selling it is going to be a nightmare. You have two choices, you can haul it down to the local bullion dealer in a wheelbarrow, and get a lot less than spot, (but you'll need Silver to almost double in price to make a profit that way) or sell to other collectors or stackers, through forums or ebay. Which means going through the rigmarole of advertising, and packing the items and going to the Post offfice etc etc etc. And it will usually be a small number of items at a time.

Now Gold on the other hand, seems to fit my "needs" perfectly. I can get it for about 5% or 6% over spot delivered, sometimes a lot less. Rather than the 15% to 50% that silver costs over spot even at STG. Meaning I need only a small rise in the price of gold to ensure my "savings" make a little extra. I need 1/70th of the space to store my gold, whether it be at home, work or in a safety deposit box, than I would need for silver.

Selling it is a piece of cake. Plenty of places will buy for spot price, and all it needs is a phone call or email, and pop a couple of coins in an envelope and by the next day you've money in you bank.

Whilst I still will buy a small amount of silver every year, I think the bulk of my money will be ploughed into gold.

Sovereigns here I come. ......................I'm officially a gold bug now....

:D

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fair play to you - nothing wrong with what you say

everyone is different.  i have age on my side to take a speculative punt with some funds on silver hoping for a good upside.

but i also have gold

i also have isa's

i also have premium bonds

i also have cash on hand

i also have cash invested in good quality pop memorabilia pieces (authenticated autographs, presentation awards, vintage concert posters, rare vinyl LPs/uncut picture discs/colored vinyls)

in a nutshell i think gold is the better option of precious metals for the less risky.  The volatility is nowhere near as bad as silver.

i just hope you are not too much in the red with your current silver holdings

I love this thread think about the stacking theory which seems to have captivated all the so called experts  celente  malony  hunter etc etc

they all predict very soon an end game to manipulation and to start rising  very soon 

highland tiger has the guts to say no I don't brlieve these so called gurus  im out

brilliant highland luv it     I see these gurus and I also think  they talk of it going up  and then its next week then next week   and nothing happens

I applaud you ht

I've always looked at gold as an investment (buying at the right time) and silver as a speculative bet

I think the same way as you about gold and the exit

Silver.. One of my thoughts was to sell 4/5 coins a week and have that as a weekly income.. You should get £23 per coin on ebay.. so selling 5 would give you just under £100 a week as an income.. You could put on your auctions that you post once a week.. So only i trip to the post office and an hour packing.

Just one of many ideas

If silver prices sky rocket you may just want to invest in a wheelbarrow and some running shoes :)

Now Gold on the other hand, seems to fit my "needs" perfectly. I can get it for about 5% or 6% over spot delivered, sometimes a lot less. Rather than the 15% to 50% that silver costs over spot even at STG. Meaning I need only a small rise in the price of gold to ensure my "savings" make a little extra. I need 1/70th of the space to store my gold, whether it be at home, work or in a safety deposit box, than I would need for silver.

Totally agree 

By no means am i  an active poster on this site, but regularly I do drop by to read what new on the market and what I can add to the collection.

At times the tone and expectations of some of the postings has lead me to believe that the site should come with a public health warning that silver stacking in the UK can seriously damage your wealth and that medical ( read psychiatric) help should be sought by those that think differently :D

It has been discussed verbatim on this forum that in the UK we are at an instant disadvantage when it comes to stacking silver and this is on top of the margin differences between gold and silver.  To seriously consider that silver stacking in the UK should be the sole means of deriving wealth is dangerous if not totally delusional.

Yes, have it as a SMALL part of a portfolio, but as the old adage goes if you can't afford to lose don't spend/invest in it! 

With silver being down so much over the last few weeks no doubt a lot of forum members are looking at their excel sheets and are asking themselves the same question that HT has done. 

does this mean you will be selling some silver through the buy/sell page?

LOL

No, my silver stack is staying put, as others have said, time is still on my side. It's just I won't add to it as much as I had originally thought. I may try to get more junk silver .925 .500 coins etc. Something that is much closer to spot prices. But my silver stack will grow very slowly from now on.

But come back to me in 15 years time, I might be sticking on a few bits for sale then  :D

Totally agree. I posted a similar post a few weeks ago. I've got more than 7kg of silver and I think it's enough for the moment. Now I'm more into gold and I think that selling will be very easy. In fact maybe if GSR changes I will drop a lot of silver to get more gold.

I've got just over 8kg of silver, so I think we must be on a similar wavelength. I too will probably get rid of some silver for gold if the GSR drops to below 60 

just for the record then ht   where do you stand on these so called experts  who spout that its going to rise very soon

I often wonder if they have their own pm companies to spook the people into buying coins from them

what say you

i also have cash invested in good quality pop memorabilia pieces (authenticated autographs, presentation awards, vintage concert posters, rare vinyl LPs/uncut picture discs/colored vinyls)

i just hope you are not too much in the red with your current silver holdings

I too have a lot of autographs, but take care in what you invest in. Todays popular singer may command high prices for their memorabilia, but the public are fickle and in a few years the singer may be a forgotten artist, only appearing on compilation albums, and you'll struggle to give stuff away. I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted but stick to the classic artists from the past that already command high premiums. (Beatles, Stones, Who, Jackson etc) You should be fairly safe with them

As for being in the red, well yes, I am quite a bit down if you compare my silver to spot prices, but if I did the auction route I'll probably make a small profit, it'll just be a pain and effort to sell it all now.

just for the record then ht   where do you stand on these so called experts  who spout that its going to rise very soon

I often wonder if they have their own pm companies to spook the people into buying coins from them

what say you

I say, no-one has a clue. There are no so called "experts". Only chancers with agendas. If you knew what was going to happen you'd keep quiet in the background, hoover up as much stuff as you could and walk away with tons of money. One thing you wouldn't do is go on youtube and tell the world. 

They've been telling the world that silver is going to rise "next month" for the last year or so. I suppose if they keep saying it, it will eventually happen, and then they'll say "I told you so". Conveniently forgetting they've been wrong every other month.

I equate these guys the same as the horse racing tipsters in the newspapers. If you really knew which horse was going to win, would you put its name in a national paper., meaning the mug punters would stick their pennies on it and bringing the price down, or keep quiet hoping the SP will rise and you make your dough.  

Not rocket science is it...... :D  

I too have a lot of autographs, but take care in what you invest in. Todays popular singer may command high prices for their memorabilia, but the public are fickle and in a few years the singer may be a forgotten artist, only appearing on compilation albums, and you'll struggle to give stuff away. I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted but stick to the classic artists from the past that already command high premiums. (Beatles, Stones, Who, Jackson etc) You should be fairly safe with them

As for being in the red, well yes, I am quite a bit down if you compare my silver to spot prices, but if I did the auction route I'll probably make a small profit, it'll just be a pain and effort to sell it all now.

thanks HT for looking out - ive been buying selling & flipping rock memorabilia since i was in my early teens. nearly 40 now :(

Ive helped with several record collector magazine articles, discographies, fan sites.  I only buy autographs from trusted sources, PR industry insiders i know, UACC dealers, leading dealers Frasers,Tracks,espirit, RRauction.com (USA)

Your are right choice and established pieces all the way for me.  quality over quantity every time.  

I have several Beatles full sets i bought in my early 20s which represent great investments if i chose to sell them today. Also to add, NEVER ever buy autographs from eBay unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing and what you're buying (ie you yourself can judge a fake from a genuine)

Mate At least you have remembered .500 ;) But I'm starting to agree, It all comes down to exit strategy and whilst gold can be sold almost anywhere for a much better % of spot, Silver would seem to have the biggest potential for the upwards move when it comes. You know my strat on Silver and I'm still buying delivered for a fraction over spot and will sell for a fraction under.

A good balanced stack should have both though and you have a nice bit of silver now, sovereigns are damn nice too and iv recently bought a couple myself:)

I agree on the positives of gold's low % over spot and of course its superior liquidity however I wonder whether it potentially could have a greater downward move % and a lesser chance of upward % potential than silver.

I see your point though. It's hard to justify paying 50% over spot for a silver coin which you may only get scrap for in the future but I think I justify it by believing that £18 per oz in the future is highly realistic.

I think you are saying what many of us are thinking HT. No shame in it.

I have an upper limit in mind with Silver. Eggs, basket etc.....

Hope you will be sticking around.

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

@HT

have you considered putting your cash into allocated gold/silver via the likes of goldmoney or bullionvault

This eliminates all the hassles you wish to miss.

I have used both and cant fault either.

The one time i had to release some cash from my goldmoney holding for my tax bill last year

the whole process from initiating the sell request to the cash hitting my bank was under 4 hours. Which is pretty damn good

No VAT on your silver you buy

You pay +4.24% to buy your silver from there and +2.74% for gold

only other extra is your monthly storage fees

No additional fees when selling

no physical storage worries, no postage, no ebay listing, no adding forum info, no emailing.

done and done within within minutes

the only down side is you dont get the feel and security of them being in your hands

............well almost  :D

I've been reviewing the reasons why I got into PM's in the first place, and it seems I've let the lure of silver "profits" cloud my judgement.

Sovereigns here I come. ......................I'm officially a gold bug now....

:D

Whoooooh there my friend are sure you want to buy sovereigns I do not recall receiving you application form for such an exercise.

No really good choice I have been buying gold recently, that said I will be buying some silver next month hopefully.

Good luck with it I hope in pans out.

I for one do like the idea of selling my silver should I want to on ebay in years to come retired, it will give me something to do in my retirement.

I am at 52.93 kgs, or 1863 ozs 2000 seems like a good number.

Archived