• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Scrap sterling silver

MAXlMUS

Hi Guys,

Does anyone else collect the above,  I`m in the lucky position to have first dibs at a local charity shop I work at and normally get about 50gms a week.

I just wonder what sort of investment and exit plan to use with it.  I would love to get it refined and stamped but is it worth it?

Any advice appreciated.

Max

Hi Max Welcome to the forum!!

I do collect scrap only in small quantities, I have just been outbid on some pre 1947 three pence pieces bummer.

As far as an exit plan goes not sure what would be best, but if you get it cheap enough and depending on how much it would cost to get it refined and melted that may well be your best option. Even then you may still need to get the bar assayed as testament as to what you say the bar is.

I am just going to keep mine for a long time. That is my Scrap and Silver bullion.

Cheers

K

Hi Max Welcome to the forum!!

I do collect scrap only in small quantities, I have just been outbid on some pre 1947 three pence pieces bummer.

As far as an exit plan goes not sure what would be best, but if you get it cheap enough and depending on how much it would cost to get it refined and melted that may well be your best option. Even then you may still need to get the bar assayed as testament as to what you say the bar is.

I am just going to keep mine for a long time. That is my Scrap and Silver bullion.

Cheers

K

Thanks for the reply,

I also collect bullion too....and I am looking to exit in 20 years+ (if I live that long).

Its a great hobby too :)

Max

Sterling silver is definitely a good investment in my opinion.  Obviously sterling silver coins/rounds are easier to store than knives/forks/tea sets, however it is still 92.5% silver for it to be sterling silver.

From what I have heard it is not too difficult to melt down either.

STRENUE

I have allsorts, including mainly jewelry, spoons,snuff/pill boxes and cigarette cases. Obviously some stuff will sell better on ebay as collectables but the main is just scrap....

Time to do some home smelting research!!

Cheers

Max

• Founder & Administrator

Sterling silver is definitely a good investment in my opinion. Obviously sterling silver coins/rounds are easier to store than knives/forks/tea sets, however it is still 92.5% silver for it to be sterling silver.

From what I have heard it is not too difficult to melt down either.

STRENUE

Talking about knives/forks I bought these a while ago for £100 on eBay. Not really scrap but they are silver (and mother of pearl.)

a2yze8a3.jpg

my8yre9e.jpg

eqebenab.jpg

2ypuzuna.jpg

eduteby8.jpg

rahy6ypa.jpg

urutytyd.jpg

y6e8ady4.jpg

na2uzyty.jpg

I was planning to dine like a king. But they are actually a christening set, and therefore very small. I would like to find a similar dinning set, definitely nicer than eating from stainless steel.

Produced in Birmingham by Hilliard & Thomason 1848 - 1908. This makes the set at least 106 years old.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Talking about knives/forks I bought these a while ago for £100 on eBay. Not really scrap but they are silver (and mother of pearl.)

a2yze8a3.jpg

my8yre9e.jpg

eqebenab.jpg

2ypuzuna.jpg

eduteby8.jpg

rahy6ypa.jpg

urutytyd.jpg

y6e8ady4.jpg

na2uzyty.jpg

I was planning to dine like a king. But they are actually a christening set, and therefore very small. I would like to find a similar dinning set, definitely nicer than eating from stainless steel.

Produced in Birmingham by Hilliard & Thomason 1848 - 1908. This makes the set at least 106 years old.

Wow! They are gorgeous! A larger set would be amazig.

Hi, I've just embarked on a silver threepence collection. 

Have 400 at present - 250 pre 1947 and 150 pre 1919 - Bought as a job lot for 20p each - I think I've had a good deal.

A few in v good condition but most have a fair amount of wear. I don't think I would ever have them smelted (unless I had many thousands) - if there is an economic collapse - loose change could be useful.

Hi, I've just embarked on a silver threepence collection. 

Have 400 at present - 250 pre 1947 and 150 pre 1919 - Bought as a job lot for 20p each - I think I've had a good deal.

A few in v good condition but most have a fair amount of wear. I don't think I would ever have them smelted (unless I had many thousands) - if there is an economic collapse - loose change could be useful.

Yh thats not a bad buy actually considering the silver content of those coins.  You can find silver VAT free in the uk if you keep an eye out, am thinking of putting an add in the local shop as most jewellers and pawn shops are looking for a 20% or so markup. 

As stated some items are more collectors pieces but are worth holding or flipping on Ebay if you are paying close to scrap price.  Even jewellery can be polished up for a nice tidy profit but as always its about what you payed etc.  Generally if its silver and its scrap price I will take it.

If you want rid quick without the hassle check out the dealers in Birmingham for best 'Scrap' prices, though smelting on a charcoal fire is easy with either silver or gold, you just need a few basic bits and you are away just be carfull as liquid metals are nasty if spilled.  You can also have an ingot assayed at your local assay office though they do charge so stick with larger bars. 

That was a very good price for what you got.

Yes I too have a small collection of old coins both UK and USA. Only around 8oz.

But as you say in  a SHTF scenario they my prove very useful.

Better to pay with a silver six pence or three pence for a loaf of bread than a 1 oz kook!!!!

Keith

Is silver plate refinable ? I get a bit of silver plate on a regular basis i have been throwing it in my stainless steel scrap bag,I have a large tray and it is quite heavy, i never thought of asking the yard if it is a different price for silver plate, i will have to ask next time i go.

It seems such a shame to destroy fine tablewear and other collectables, antiques etc. just for the scrap value.

Many sterling silver coins however are stunningly beautiful as they tend to be special issues, commemoratives etc. and very often minted as proofs sold in a box with a certificate. The harder metal also means it is less prone to surface scratching and fingerprints can be cleaned off. Sterling coins can sometimes be bought on eBay for little above spot ASW ( actual silver weight ) remembering to discount for the alloy - not the weight of the coin.

Is silver plate refinable ? I get a bit of silver plate on a regular basis i have been throwing it in my stainless steel scrap bag,I have a large tray and it is quite heavy, i never thought of asking the yard if it is a different price for silver plate, i will have to ask next time i go.

Any content is refinable, since it's just melting, and it doesnt matter whether the silver particles are present in a homogeneous way or as a surface layer.

The real question is if it will be worth doing it. If it costs you more than it delivers, then it's not. And since plated silver objects usually only contain a few % silver, I doubt it.

Only doing the job on a large scale makes it worth doing it, and on the few price lists I saw, plated (no matter which metal) was treated as the same as the inner and much bigger part, meaning that the difference is not worth a separate price for them.

Any content is refinable, since it's just melting, and it doesnt matter whether the silver particles are present in a homogeneous way or as a surface layer.

The real question is if it will be worth doing it. If it costs you more than it delivers, then it's not. And since plated silver objects usually only contain a few % silver, I doubt it.

Only doing the job on a large scale makes it worth doing it, and on the few price lists I saw, plated (no matter which metal) was treated as the same as the inner and much bigger part, meaning that the difference is not worth a separate price for them.

Many thanks Pirocco, in the scrap yard it goes then,  i will convert the money to silver anyway.

I bought about 80+ grams of pre 20's coins this week, purely as I got it for a little under scrap value so would be silly not to really. I think scraps a good thing to have as it protects your collectable silver if ever you need to scrap a bit.

If you're ever looking to scrap some coins I'd probably be interested if you wanted to chnge them into cash for some collectable silver.

Sent from my RM-825_eu_euro1_310 using Tapatalk

Archived