• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Just a thought...which influences a purchase more, purity or recognition? Here in the States, the gold American Eagle is obviously popular and commands a matching premium. However, it's lack of purity has always irked me. I've found myself purchasing more .9999 bullion (Maples, Philharmonics, Kangaroos).

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

• Founder & Administrator

I haven't bought any UK gold sovereigns, and I am currently not planning to, for exactly the same reason.

I don't like the fact that they are made from 22karat opposed to pure gold.

The little bit of gold I do own is Perth Mint, and I think I will continue buying Perth Mint gold when I decide to buy more gold.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I feel the same - but I do have some sovereigns. I think the only other coin I might buy which isnot 999 gold is a Krugerand, just because I think it would be nice to have in the collection. I have some Perth Mint and also some Pamp gold. Nice! :)

I feel the same - but I do have some sovereigns. I think the only other coin I might buy which isnot 999 gold is a Krugerand, just because I think it would be nice to have in the collection. I have some Perth Mint and also some Pamp gold. Nice! :)

What pamp gold do you have Shamatti. 10oz PAMP suisse Gold lady fortuna bars look AMAZING. 10oz of gold has a pretty amazing price tag though, so I don't think i'll be buying any for a while.

I think the largest size I will be buying is 1oz for a while. Even if I had the money to buy 10oz, I'd probably get 10x 1oz bars.

The 1oz gold PAMP Suisse lady Fortuna bars also look nice, only $24.99 over spot from APMEX. Though shipping at ~$50 kills that deal.

And I think 1oz gold coins, like the lunar series 2, will be better investments than bars.

The PAMP suisse stuff is nice though. I am going to have to get myself a big 10oz Gold lady fortuna for my collection one day.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

What pamp gold do you have Shamatti. 10oz PAMP suisse Gold lady fortuna bars look AMAZING. 10oz of gold has a pretty amazing price tag though, so I don't think i'll be buying any for a while.

I think the largest size I will be buying is 1oz for a while. Even if I had the money to buy 10oz, I'd probably get 10x 1oz bars.

The 1oz gold PAMP Suisse lady Fortuna bars also look nice, only $24.99 over spot from APMEX. Though shipping at ~$50 kills that deal.

And I think 1oz gold coins, like the lunar series 2, will be better investments than bars.

The PAMP suisse stuff is nice though. I am going to have to get myself a big 10oz Gold lady fortuna for my collection one day.

Man!! I'd love to get my hands on a 10 ouncer! :ph34r: That's more gold than I even own, all in one bar! lol

I have 1 Oz, half Oz, 10g 5g etc. All the little ones!. They are pretty beautiful though!

I like the Perth Mint gold coins, I have a Nuget, Kangaroo, Horse, and Snake, in varying sizes. Much better investments than the Pamp, I expect, but I do love the Pamp, and it will still be an earner once prices finally recover!

Man!! I'd love to get my hands on a 10 ouncer! :ph34r: That's more gold than I even own, all in one bar! lol

I have 1 Oz, half Oz, 10g 5g etc. All the little ones!. They are pretty beautiful though!

I like the Perth Mint gold coins, I have a Nuget, Kangaroo, Horse, and Snake, in varying sizes. Much better investments than the Pamp, I expect, but I do love the Pamp, and it will still be an earner once prices finally recover!

Snake. NICE! I think the prices have gone up quite a bit on those now.

Discounts / Offers

Thanks for the feedback. I originally started with Sovereigns and Francs, before moving to fractional American Eagles. I've also picked up some Krugerrands (for variety). I'd like to pick up a gold Mexican Onza, but the premiums are rather high for me. Now, I'll only consider sub-24 karat bullion if at a decent price. I'm primarily into Maples, and Perth Mint coins. I agree with Shamatti on that....the Perth Mint puts out really nice coins (gold and silver).

For me Perth Mint is the benchmark.

I do have American Eagles and being from South Africa I felt I needed some Krugerrands.

I also really like Perth Mint's fractional gold coins. Allows you to complete gold sets without costing the earth. Plus a 1/10 gold coin is nice for presents.

Eagles are massive in the USA, location plays a big part in demand for certain items. Personally tho am a purist, 9999 gold and 999 silver is all I will stack and deal with.

Re 10oz gold - good for SMSF but not real liquid in the secondary market, prepare to off load it at spot to a dealer, if you can deal with that then its a bonus if you can sell with a premium on the secondary market.

10x 1oz bars would give you the liquid, if in need of quick cash you dont have to sell the whole 10oz.

post-6-0-42740000-1395784388_thumb.jpg

22ct or 24ct it makes absolutely no difference to the price of the gold inside.

The only difference is the 22ct coin weighs a little more.

On the plus side the 22ct is not so soft and therefore if you drop it on a hard floor it is less likely to dent the rim, or if you decide to polish it, it will not scratch so easily.

Do none of you own gold Britannias?  The new 24 carat Brits are exquisite in my opinion.

I also like the gold roos and sovs of course.

I dislike the silver britannias a lot, the quality is terrible. So I am staying well away from the gold coin. 

Gold kangaroos look like a much nicer coin in my opinion, and Perth Mint's quality is excellent.

Discounts / Offers

On the plus side the 22ct is not so soft and therefore if you drop it on a hard floor it is less likely to dent the rim, or if you decide to polish it, it will not scratch so easily.

I agree.

Take Sovereigns, they will sell well any day of the week.

As the old saying  "there`s gold in these hills" or something like that:)

Do none of you own gold Britannias?  The new 24 carat Brits are exquisite in my opinion.

I also like the gold roos and sovs of course.

Absolutely.

Do not confuse the RM gold and silver Britannias.

Gold Brits attract better premiums often and the proofs are superb.

Agree absolutely

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

I dislike the silver britannias a lot, the quality is terrible. 

I think the problems were mainly with the 2013s Chris I have a few and they are poor quality but all my earlier ones are OK

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

I think the problems were mainly with the 2013s Chris I have a few and they are poor quality but all my earlier ones are OK

Yea, I was referring to modern silver Britannias. Not sure about the 2014 one. But I have a 2013, and have to be honest, it's the worst looking coin I own.

Discounts / Offers

Archived