• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2012 Sovereign - A Good Investment?

Kman

As I've already said it a few times but I don't like the traditional sovereign design, so I've been trying to get 2002/2005 sovereigns (would also like a 1989)

The 2002 and 2005 sovereigns both have a bit of a premium, generally selling for about £125 a half and £250 for a full on Ebay

That got me looking at the next unique designed sovereign, the 2012 (don't like this design either :P but anyway) 

I notice Atkinsons already sell them with a premium @ £219.85

Goldline however sell them for £189 + postage 

I wonder if buying a few 2012 sovereigns for a little more rather than just the cheapest priced generic sovereigns would turn out to be a better investment in a few years when the 2012 might carry a little premium

Same goes with buying a RM lunar horse 1oz instead of a generic Brit or Krug, as others have mentioned on here.

Thoughts on this? open to being told I'm wrong. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

the fact that is a different design and proof of other years selling for a decent premium above getting them from goldline is a good option

also fact it was minted during her 60th year reigning (diamond jubilee) adds some pomp bells and whistles to the year if that's your bag collecting!

it is also a nice design when seen in your hand

they wont remain readily available with the passage of time as they disappear into peoples vaults and peak freen's biscuit tins

the liquidity of sovereigns over the near x4 times dearer 1oz coins makes them far more favorable with collectors/stackers

i personally couldn't see you having any down side risk long term

if you can source a £5 coin quintuplet version from this year they only made 999 of them if my memory serves me right

Hard to say, they may carry a premium with collectors but Bullion buy back places wont pay extra for them (should you ever want a quick cash in) In my honest opinion I think when someone buys a sovereign they want the George and the dragon as its an iconic design and what people imagine when they think of a sovereign. Lets just say gold goes really high and every member of public now wants some gold, standard design .. yep that's a sovereign, the more rare designs may be met by "is that a sovereign??" But that's just my opinion, if you want them at least you know they will always be worth the gold content no matter what.

I'm like you, love the 89, 02,05 buy they are all nice designs, the 12 not so. Might go up but did rather have the other 3

Have you got an 89?

I plan on getting one if possible, half, full, double, not fussed depending price, kind of wish I bought the double that sold for £605 on Ebay the other night now.. but you never know, the guy who won at £605 might have put in 800 and been happily surprised to get it for that amount. 

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Have you got an 89?

I plan on getting one if possible, half, full, double, not fussed depending price, kind of wish I bought the double that sold for £605 on Ebay the other night now.. but you never know, the guy who won at £605 might have put in 800 and been happily surprised to get it for that amount. 

I am sure that was the one I had bid on up to £600 but forgot about it, then found out it went for £605.

But as Pete says for another couple of hundred pounds or so you could get 1 oz of gold, good point and worth considering.

That said I think I will buy one for the collection at some point.

I am sure that was the one I had bid on up to £600 but forgot about it, then found out it went for £605.

The auction ended at like 2am UK time, crazy stuff by the seller. Here it is 

Have you got an 89?

Never bought a sov, got given one by my grandma when born, 1937 I think, haven't seen for years

Never bought a sov, got given one by my grandma when born, 1937 I think, haven't seen for years

Should treat youself  :D

@Keith 

This site has a lovely picture of a 1989 that you can scroll over to zoom

http://www.mhcoins.co.uk/coins/milledgold/elizabeth-ii-1952-present-1989-tudor-rose-two-pounds/

The rose side is  :wub:

Archived