• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

    Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

Pipers

Recommended reading for everyone on this forum

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Cointreau said:

You may have seen this on the BBC news.

A whole tray of Pert Mint Lunar coins was displayed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35703995

If the BBC is talking about gold, the top must be in. :P

I am jealous of her holding that gold kilo bar. I tell myself that one day I will buy one of those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some more pessimism porn from one of our favourite youtube university graduates Mike (i own a gold & silver company) Maloney & more reassurance to stay in for the long run, for the jaded long time stackers

THE END IS NIGH THE END IS NIGH !!!

Stock up NOW, before it goes to the moon (again) like it should have, the time before and the several few couple of times before that

Do your own research - interesting viewing what he presents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I want to believe Mike, I am sceptical and do not wish to sell my 'overpriced' stocks which currently provide a nice yield that my gold does not. He is using crude technical analysis for his prediction based purely on what happened in the past. He focuses a lot on the 1930's depression as a prediction of where we are going (for the fear factor - great sales tactic) but we had a gold standard back then, no QE, no negative interest rates, ect.

Basically what I am saying is - Its different this time. There I said it, now we are guaranteed $5000 gold. BUY BUY BUY! :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone fancies a read, I recommend The Alpha Strategy. I stumbled upon the link on one of Belangp's old videos - many of you may have already seen and read it. Apologies if it has been posted already. 

The book was published in 1980 and is still very relevant, possibly more so now than then. The first few chapters are the real value of the book, basic economics effectively, with some simple thought experiments and examples of a basic economy in relation to the various drivers and flaws of human nature. Everything is brought down to basics so as to demonstrate the concepts of wealth, price and value, inflation, price and wage controls, government subsidies and regulation, all that good stuff! :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 22:51, KDave said:

If anyone fancies a read, I recommend The Alpha Strategy. I stumbled upon the link on one of Belangp's old videos - many of you may have already seen and read it. Apologies if it has been posted already. 

Thanks for the link. It's been actually on my endless reading list!

I've done a quick scroll through and am convinced to do a thorough read on the way back home on the train. Very interesting points. Things I that have crossed my mind, especially where I should 'invest' my fiats next, at first glance certain topics may look like a "prepper" mentality, I know there is way more than that in the book and do think that you can't go wrong with good proper preparations.

I did stopped scrolling at the Technical Analysis chapter. The more books about I read about TA the more I inclined to move away from it! lol... yes, I know you guys voiced this already but I am still trawling through it and I may end up at the same conclusion. Why waste my time? I'm liking it at the moment and need to do my due diligence :) (I think might make a t-shirt with DYOR!)

Snippet from the book:
All the evidence seems to indicate that technical analysis is no better than flipping a coin as a method of choosing stocks. It would appear that those advisers who use these methods, including those "experts" who write the books, newsletters, and offer high-priced consultations, are nothing more than quacks, charlatans or both. A multibillion-dollar industry has been built around superstition and mysticism. Incredible as it may seem, billions and billions of dollars are being shuttled through investment markets, guided by technicians who are little more than soothsayers and fortunetellers.

 

Edited by ApisMellifera

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ApisMellifera said:

Thanks for the link. It's been actually on my endless reading list!

I've done a quick scroll through and am convinced to do a thorough read on the way back home on the train. Very interesting points. Things I that have crossed my mind, especially where I should 'invest' my fiats next, at first glance certain topics may look like a "prepper" mentality, I know there is way more than that in the book and do think that you can't go wrong with good proper preparations.

I did stopped scrolling at the Technical Analysis chapter. The more books about I read about TA the more I inclined to move away from it! lol... yes, I know you guys voiced this already but I am still trawling through it and I may end up at the same conclusion. Why waste my time? I'm liking it at the moment and need to do my due diligence :) (I think might make a t-shirt with DYOR!)

Snippet from the book:
All the evidence seems to indicate that technical analysis is no better than flipping a coin as a method of choosing stocks. It would appear that those advisers who use these methods, including those "experts" who write the books, newsletters, and offer high-priced consultations, are nothing more than quacks, charlatans or both. A multibillion-dollar industry has been built around superstition and mysticism. Incredible as it may seem, billions and billions of dollars are being shuttled through investment markets, guided by technicians who are little more than soothsayers and fortunetellers.

 

Great points, the second half did strike me as a 'prepper' book too at first, but it is actually not aiming to prepare for anything and states this is not the goal. The author is merely exploring guaranteed ways to preserve wealth in the economic system we inhabit, by defining what wealth actually is. The methods for increasing ones wealth from the investing sense, are pointed out to have the odds stacked firmly against the individual investor, again because of the system we inhabit and the nature of the human (read chaotic, illogical and sentiment driven) market. I don't agree entirely with the conclusion that wealth can't be grown this way, but it is a sensible starting position.

As I say though, the value in the book is not the method of saving or in the conclusions drawn in the second half of the book. It is the easily accessible explanations of fundamental economics in the first half. Once you understand those, then you can come to the logical conclusions yourself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Courtesy of Atkinsons email below

"Button up! Crisis ahead?
It used to be the Greeks or the Italian’s or the Spanish or even the Portuguese, sometimes all of the above. Now firmly in the crosshairs is the IMF (International Monetary Fund).
 
What ever happened to, ‘neither a borrower or a lender be’?
 
The IMF happened.
 
According to the Wall Street Journal they have suspended interest payments for the Greek debt until 2040…yes, 2040 and beyond. Effectively never to be repaid. Madame Lagarde will be long gone to the Cote D’Azur by then and maybe the, ‘crisis-what crisis?’ will have happened anyway.
 
So some might say borrow whatever you can get, as you probably won’t have to repay it in the end. Something or someone will probably come along with a rescue plan to allow the balance on the good old never never.
 
What a situation we have gotten ourselves into.
 
So to reflect on the precious metals prices, well it’s all having a rest. A little bit down, a little bit up, some currency changes in one direction or another but generally nothing to excite anyone just now.
 
A good platform may be building for those tempted to add to their precious metals holdings in this time of settlement. As the fervour over Brexit climbs steadily towards the 23rd and the claims and counterclaims become even more ridiculous, remember to insure your financial well being in the only way you can.
 
By holding it in your own hands."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Paul said:



According to the Wall Street Journal they have suspended interest payments for the Greek debt until 2040…yes, 2040 and beyond. Effectively never to be repaid. Madame Lagarde will be long gone to the Cote D’Azur by then and maybe the, ‘crisis-what crisis?’ will have happened anyway.
 

 

Is this the equivalent of debt jubilee we are seeing here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not looked further into it, the email arrived with me this past hour and just thought I would share it here.  It certainly sounds like some kind debt forgiveness/debt jubilee

2040 is 24 years away .......eek !

I wouldn't mind maxing the credit card out if i dint rack up any usury interest from it until 2040, might give barclaycard a ring see if they can APR/deal match the IMF 

Could then pay it off with devalued currency or sell my gold in 2040

If it is main stream news, no doubt it will arrive on zerohedge & co with more detailed info over the next day or two

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Suspending payments" along with the issuing of 100-year bonds, which has become popular with several countries recently, is just a sly way of trying to conceal the fact that this debt is no good. There is just far too much debt: if you haven't looked at it before, take a look at the debt clock here: http://www.nationaldebtclocks.org/ and bear in mind that this doesn't include unfunded liabilities like public sector pensions and healthcare, which in some countries would double those numbers up or more. Some economists have tried to defend it by saying the debt never needs to be repaid, it can just be rolled over, but this misses the point: the debt is constantly increasing at an unsustainable rate, and even though it can be rolled over, it still has to be serviced. If the increase in debt outstrips the increase in productivity needed to service it, a tipping point will be reached where more debt will need to be issued just to pay the interest on the existing debt, like acquiring a new credit card to pay the interest you can't afford on the ones you already have. Once this state of affairs is reached, financial ruin is very close.

Heavily indebted governments can 1 - default on their debt, 2 - plunder assets from their citizens; or 3 - print money into existence. Defaulting would be an extremely drastic step for a major western economy, and for countries like the USA and the UK it would wipe out most pensions, so would be politically unacceptable. Plundering is likely to happen sooner or later, either through explicit wealth taxes or negative nominal interest rates. Printing money is only an option for countries that control their own currencies, but is likely to be tried before long. In effect it works by inflating away the value of debt to make it more affordable, but inflation is also unpopular and almost certainly more difficult to keep under control than many economists like to suppose. The outlook does not look good any which way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A helpful interview with Andrew Maguire, covering the recent big moves in the gold price. I like his interviews, though I always find that he speaks so quickly and uses so many technical terms that I have to listen to everything twice. Whenever he uses the expression "naked hot money" my mind wanders off to strange places.

http://kingworldnews.com/andrew-maguire-6-18-16/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/05/2016 at 22:51, KDave said:

If anyone fancies a read, I recommend The Alpha Strategy. I stumbled upon the link on one of Belangp's old videos - many of you may have already seen and read it. Apologies if it has been posted already. 

The book was published in 1980 and is still very relevant, possibly more so now than then. The first few chapters are the real value of the book, basic economics effectively, with some simple thought experiments and examples of a basic economy in relation to the various drivers and flaws of human nature. Everything is brought down to basics so as to demonstrate the concepts of wealth, price and value, inflation, price and wage controls, government subsidies and regulation, all that good stuff! :D 

I had to get the real book in my hands and found a nice old 2nd hand hardcover. I really like the name of the publisher, Common Sense Press :)

 

AS.gif

Edited by ApisMellifera

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now